[Dreamcast] Help with ut file called entry.dat

Discussions about everything else
got-shadow
Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:07 am

[Dreamcast] Help with ut file called entry.dat

Post by got-shadow » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:34 pm

Hello my friends.
Can someone help me with a file?
Its called entry.dat
I really cant decode this file.
Someone with ut experience can try?
Thanks really
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike
Location: Under someones bed

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by NemesisNeS » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:33 pm

As far as I know these two files are files that run all the background stuff in UT. Don't bother trying to edit them unless you know exactly what you're doing or if you know how to tweak the core system of UT. You can view it in Notepad ++ or any editor, but I recommend not messing with it. You can also view it if you have a Hex Editor, though, again, HIGHLY recommend not to toy around with it unless you know what you're doing.

P.S. If I am wrong, then I apologize in advance, but normally I don't tend to mess with .dat files unless I need to tweak something that will aid me later on. When using a text or hex editor to view files of this type be certain that IF you need to do any editing back up the original files elsewhere first.
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:

User avatar
Deepu
Adept
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 am
Personal rank: Average
Location: India

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by Deepu » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:02 am


User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 10148
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by papercoffee » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:35 am

Dreamcast again?
You might have noticed that we can't be very helpful regarding the Dreamcast port for UT.
Because nearly no one here has played it, on that console.

User avatar
TankBeef
Adept
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 am

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by TankBeef » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:18 am

This is what I am seeing...(and I hope I don't come out as a rude person by saying this, I really hope not...) Shadow has started at least three threads about the same thing. On each ocassion, he does not clarify that he is referring to the Dreamcast version, nor does he place the thread in the off-topic section, where it belongs. I already mentioned (and I also admit that I do not play Dreamcast, but this has been confirmed by many links) that the DC version of UT has currently no internet support. I get the impression that he is trying to be the first person to hack the console so it can connect to the servers, or am I wrong? Cause I have no idea of what he is trying to do. If he wants help, he should be clear about his intentions from the beginning, I think.

User avatar
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike
Location: Under someones bed

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by NemesisNeS » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Unfortunately there is absolutely no way in the blue hell that anyone will be able to get any support, more or less a working DC/PS2 port of UT to work properly over the internet now a days. The primary servers and even all of the private servers have been shut down for years now (I dare say, well over a decade, though I could be wrong about this).

Secondly I agree with TankBeef on this, but this got-shadow clearly doesn't make any clear distinction of what it is they are trying to accomplish. Yes, the DC can connect to the internet, but as far as trying an attempt to connect to UT servers or for that matter other game servers public or private via the DC is virtually moot. got-shadow has posted several other times, since I have been on, about something or other with not a single clear distinction of anything that they intend. My main question is why try to work on a dead DC/PS2 port of UT. Might have a better chance of messing around with the Xbox ports of Unreal Championship then with UT itself. Just my humble opinion.
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:

User avatar
rjmno1
Masterful
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by rjmno1 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:11 pm

NemesisNeS wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:18 pm
Unfortunately there is absolutely no way in the blue hell that anyone will be able to get any support, more or less a working DC/PS2 port of UT to work properly over the internet now a days. The primary servers and even all of the private servers have been shut down for years now (I dare say, well over a decade, though I could be wrong about this).

Secondly I agree with TankBeef on this, but this got-shadow clearly doesn't make any clear distinction of what it is they are trying to accomplish. Yes, the DC can connect to the internet, but as far as trying an attempt to connect to UT servers or for that matter other game servers public or private via the DC is virtually moot. got-shadow has posted several other times, since I have been on, about something or other with not a single clear distinction of anything that they intend. My main question is why try to work on a dead DC/PS2 port of UT. Might have a better chance of messing around with the Xbox ports of Unreal Championship then with UT itself. Just my humble opinion.
In this file i did take a look there are all maps located and uax sound, i think that those files are information files about the structure of this ut99 version.
unreal tournament 99
®
Image
Image
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.

User avatar
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike
Location: Under someones bed

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by NemesisNeS » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:26 pm

@rjmno1 Okay, I kind of found similar things within the entry.dat file, but it still doesn't answer what the question at hand... IF got-shadow is trying to get a DC port of UT to run via the internet via a DC then he's s.o.l. but IF he's trying to port over the maps, sounds, textures, etc., then he should clearly state that. He's asking us to decode the file to see what is in it, which sadly anyone with minimal internet experience can do via a Google search. (Sorry if that came out harsher than it is, but I'm not going to sugar coat this).
Can someone help me with a file?
Its called entry.dat
I really cant decode this file.
Someone with ut experience can try?


To me and the rest of the community, asking for help and having this as what you ask doesn't help since there isn't a clear distinction of what you would like to accomplish. Anyone can decode this via a Google search as I stated, but then what is the end result of what you wish to gain? In all seriousness, why would you wish to decode the .dat file for, and what is the end result in doing so. I read posts elsewhere that guys were trying to decode and then port over content from console to PC was for naught. Unless he's looking to create an emulated system and run a simulated server that has the potential to run via the internet, I could understand then what the intentions are. Until then, I'd ask a mod to move this off topic please.
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:

User avatar
rjmno1
Masterful
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by rjmno1 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:54 pm

DFLT02.GIF
NemesisNeS wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:26 pm
@rjmno1 Okay, I kind of found similar things within the entry.dat file, but it still doesn't answer what the question at hand... IF got-shadow is trying to get a DC port of UT to run via the internet via a DC then he's s.o.l. but IF he's trying to port over the maps, sounds, textures, etc., then he should clearly state that. He's asking us to decode the file to see what is in it, which sadly anyone with minimal internet experience can do via a Google search. (Sorry if that came out harsher than it is, but I'm not going to sugar coat this).
Can someone help me with a file?
Its called entry.dat
I really cant decode this file.
Someone with ut experience can try?


To me and the rest of the community, asking for help and having this as what you ask doesn't help since there isn't a clear distinction of what you would like to accomplish. Anyone can decode this via a Google search as I stated, but then what is the end result of what you wish to gain? In all seriousness, why would you wish to decode the .dat file for, and what is the end result in doing so. I read posts elsewhere that guys were trying to decode and then port over content from console to PC was for naught. Unless he's looking to create an emulated system and run a simulated server that has the potential to run via the internet, I could understand then what the intentions are. Until then, I'd ask a mod to move this off topic please.
There are alot of tools to config those files ,i did a litle reverge engeneering also, i downloaded that iso file and you can extracted that with isobuster.There are some sound regarding to ut99 also decode by me and extracted from that iso file.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/

Here are some utilities you can use for extracting and examin some files make ready for usages in the original ut99 from windows.Its a complete other files system sega uses with those files and olmost not playable in the windows version of this game.Simply hardcoded i try also but none of the maps are starting up in the windows version of ut99!.And i simply think that they are all the same as the windows version.
hope this helps.

rom download:sega dreamcast

https://coolrom.com.au/roms/dc/16388/Un ... nament.php

isobuster download

https://www.isobuster.com/nl/ for extracting cdi image to normal files.file is converted to cdi version of iso file with isobuster you can extracted that file.

emulator

https://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/g ... usion.html
edit:
I have some extracted files also converted to .wav and they play nice, they apear in the isobuster application.But they are the same as the windows version of this game,gonna do some edit and extraction for some maps for myself.
@got shadown please ask higor and sector 2111 for these files,maby some files will fit into the windows version of this game.Maby those maps are different then the windows version on way or another!.

maps names and wiki:

https://segaretro.org/Unreal_Tournament

map names:

Deathmatch Map Max Players Online or Bots Max Players Split-screen
Agony 6 3
Babylon 4 3
Barricade 8 4
Blockparty 6 3
Brickyard 6 3
Canyon Fear 4 3
Codex 8 4
ColdSteelPressure 4 4
Core 4 3
Curse 8 3
Damnation 4 4
Deck16 6 4
Depot 4 3
Dust 4 3
Flux 4 3
Gearbox 4 3
Girder 4 3
Google 4 2
Halberd 6 3
Healpod 6 4
Hyperblast 6 4
Industrial 6 4
Infernal 4 3
Instinct 4 3
Liandri 6 4
Loathing 4 4
Malevolence 8 3
Megaplex (SegaNet Map) 6 3
Morbias 4 2
Morpheus 6 3
Nebula 6 3
NeoTokyo 4 3
Oblivion 4 2
Outskirts (SegaNet Map) 6 1
Paladin 4 4
Pantheon 6 3
Phobos 2 2
Pressure 8 4
Sector9 4 4
Singularity 6 4
Sorayama 6 4
Spacenoxx 4 4
Stalwart 6 3
StalwartXL 8 4
StationControl 4 4
Underlord 4 3
Capture the Flag Map Max Players Online or Bots Max Players Split-screen
Command 8 4
Coret 8 4
Dreary 8 3
EternalCave 8 4
Face 6 4
Face2 6 2
Gauntlet 8 2
Lavagiant 8 1
Niven 8 2
Phalanax 6 4
Sepulchre 6 4
Spirito 6 4
Stormfront 6 4
Sundial 6 4
Domination Map Max Players Online or Bots Max Players Split-screen
Cinder 8 3
Coagulate 6 4
Condemned 6 3
Gearbolt 8 2
Ghardhen 8 4
Hood 4 4
Lament 6 4
Olden 8 2
Osiris 6 4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rjmno1 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 13 times in total.
unreal tournament 99
®
Image
Image
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.

User avatar
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike
Location: Under someones bed

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by NemesisNeS » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:00 pm

Thanks mate for that, I'll conduct some more tests and such.

They are virtually the same maps and such, just under a different context but with the same extensions as the Windows version. At most, the game can be burned onto a CD and played, but as far as online support goes, well... s.o.l. There are several ways to backwall it so you could run it via a private server from what I just researched, but it would be more like running a complete landline version so would suffice to run a lan party, since that it would work in that context. In terms of other online play/support, unless someone is willing to provide support for legacy console systems such as DC, PS2 and even Xbox (for those that have Unreal Championship), it's still moot. The game will run smoothly still via emulation, just gaining access to make adjustments, mods and such would also be moot. Unless the person has some experience in porting over addons, dlc and such onto the DC and PS2. But since Sega doesn't own nor support any systems anymore than they do content for other systems currently, the fact remains that whatever got-shadow is planning would also in turn be moot. Wow, that was a mouthful. Anyway, back to testing the remaining maps for the contest, I clearly picked two favorites already.
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:

got-shadow
Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:07 am

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by got-shadow » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:38 pm

NemesisNeS wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:26 pm
@rjmno1 Okay, I kind of found similar things within the entry.dat file, but it still doesn't answer what the question at hand... IF got-shadow is trying to get a DC port of UT to run via the internet via a DC then he's s.o.l. but IF he's trying to port over the maps, sounds, textures, etc., then he should clearly state that. He's asking us to decode the file to see what is in it, which sadly anyone with minimal internet experience can do via a Google search. (Sorry if that came out harsher than it is, but I'm not going to sugar coat this).
Can someone help me with a file?
Its called entry.dat
I really cant decode this file.
Someone with ut experience can try?


To me and the rest of the community, asking for help and having this as what you ask doesn't help since there isn't a clear distinction of what you would like to accomplish. Anyone can decode this via a Google search as I stated, but then what is the end result of what you wish to gain? In all seriousness, why would you wish to decode the .dat file for, and what is the end result in doing so. I read posts elsewhere that guys were trying to decode and then port over content from console to PC was for naught. Unless he's looking to create an emulated system and run a simulated server that has the potential to run via the internet, I could understand then what the intentions are. Until then, I'd ask a mod to move this off topic please.
Calm down friends, for those who don't know I'm trying to revive the online function of this game on the Dreamcast. I managed to revive the master server, open the server, had some texture and map errors and all were successfully bypassed. No one has gone that far in this process. The player has successfully connected and appears on the map, but still needs some adjustments. What I was looking for is someone who could decode this content of these files for me, so I can keep trying to adjust the server. I'm sorry for having created three different topics, but it's because the mistakes of the previous ones were different and have already been overcome, some with private help from the same community. I am so grateful for all your efforts. Just ask for one last help with this decoding, contacting one of the developers of this version, he told me that this file is similar to engine.u with the same encoding and that the old unreal communities could help me. Thanks to everyone and sorry again.

User avatar
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike
Location: Under someones bed

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by NemesisNeS » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:19 pm

Good luck trying that mate. In all honesty I am wondering why? DC is legacy hardware that receives absolutely zero support from any community as far as I have researched. I'm happy to hear that you would like to get a server to run on DC, but in hindsight one must ask themselves is it worth all the trouble, considering the day and age where we have better and superior technology in comparison to 20-years ago. :confused2: Anyway, good luck in your endeavor mate.
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:

User avatar
TankBeef
Adept
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 am

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by TankBeef » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:31 pm

NemesisNeS wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:19 pm
considering the day and age where we have better and superior technology in comparison to 20-years ago.
This...this is what I was also saying. You have new patches, better renderers, even HD textures. Hey, you can even connect a gamepad to the PC if you want to play it that way (it is not optimal, but some do).

User avatar
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike
Location: Under someones bed

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by NemesisNeS » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:31 am

Hell I've been locked up for six years, and just got my laptop a few months ago. I actually hooked up an Xbox One Controller via Bluetooth to my toy and plug it in when I feel like using a controller when I play UT. Effin' crazy mate!
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:

Xiden
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 21, 2022 4:53 am

Re: Help please with an ut file called entry.dat

Post by Xiden » Sat May 21, 2022 4:59 am

NemesisNeS wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:19 pm
Good luck trying that mate. In all honesty I am wondering why? DC is legacy hardware that receives absolutely zero support from any community as far as I have researched. I'm happy to hear that you would like to get a server to run on DC, but in hindsight one must ask themselves is it worth all the trouble, considering the day and age where we have better and superior technology in comparison to 20-years ago. :confused2: Anyway, good luck in your endeavor mate.
One of the largest dreamcast communities is Dreamcast-talk.com. There are also quite a few titles that have been brought back online for the dreamcast :) we'd love to see UTDC back. We tried actively hunting for the server code awhile back.