Coding school

Discussions about everything else
gopostal

Coding school

Post by gopostal »

(Preface: It is my sincere hope this is ok to post. If it is not, and references to other boards are frowned upon, please remove this and accept my apologies.)

I'd like to offer http://www.utsurvival.com as a place for a new coding school. In the "reviving UT" thread one of my thoughts was to create a place where new coders could learn and ask questions. I still really feel like development is the way to go, and since you guys have the go-to UT99 site covered, I'd like to fill in the slot for "specializing in coding/mapping".

Let's face it, Survival was a complete bust. I'm still not exactly sure why, but I'm not one to waste webspace. Consider UTSurvival now as "For the survival of UT". Catchy, huh? :tu:

It's all still very new and there isn't a lot up yet, but I'm writing at least a tutorial a day and hopefully it will bring some more people in to add to the knowledge. If you are an experienced coder/mapper and have a few minutes, please consider sharing a bit of your learnings for others. I'm at best a "C" grade coder (on a good day) but perhaps if someone starts this, other much more experienced content creators will add a bit of what they have garnered.

The forum is completely BS-free, Asshat-free, and drama-free (I will ensure that personally). You are welcome to post any sort of information or tutorial you would like concerning coding and mapping. Eventually the postings will be grouped and sorted but for now it's pretty much free association and you pen whatever you feel the muse to do. Ideas, suggestions, thoughts are always welcome.

It's time for a fundamental shift in thinking. You guys are handling the grouping. I'd like to help in fostering new developers. Thanks guys!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Coding school

Post by Feralidragon »

OK :tu:
I might throw some tutorials later as well. (don't know about what though lol)
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

If you will take the time to write something, might I suggest choosing a topic that you struggled with or one that you found hard to research? For me it will always be canvas, especially as it pertains to HUD. There are only a couple of (semi) tutorials on canvas coding so much of what I have learned is by trial and error. Very frustrating at times. I have a couple of small tutorials planned for properly adding a HUD extension mutator.

Really you can't be wrong here. Pick anything you like and do as much as you like. These will eventually be packaged as a download and are freely available to anyone to host and share. Although the member count is currently low, there are many unique IP's googling their way in every day and looking the tutorials over. In fact code searches through my posted UnCodex pages are taking over the top spots in the webpage stats, even surpassing the serverpackage redirects I'm hosting for a couple of friends.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Have I to register to read the tutorials?
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Yes, for now but I can assure you there will be *NO* mass emails or further aggravation after registering. I just don't want to be site ripped before the tutorials are compiled into a searchable database. If you know me you know I am all about sharing without strings attached, so consider the registration a minor but necessary inconvenience.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Sounds interesting :P
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

signing up for a forum is a small price to pay to gain access to a world of knowledge. It will also give us an idea about how many is actualy interrested in using the site. About the mass-emailing ... I think an massemail will be send whenever there is a new project beeing released to public (not beta versions!), and only project like new gamestyles, not maps or mutators alone. However, there should be a setting in the profile to select not to recieve mass emails, so ..... all should be fine.

We have however considered letting people read the topics without registration, but still have to reg if they want to download from our database or view attachments.

Remember it's a lot of peoples hard work, i little apriciation by reggistering wouldn't harm.
Retired.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

This new forum will become an Icon of the New UT99!
Believe me - UT99 is headed for a Great New era and This New Forum/Site will help it to that era! :tu:
Yep, I said the "New" UT99 -> RE-Marketing! :gj:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

I don't mean to resurrect a dying thread but I wanted to let you guys know that TheDane has removed himself from UTSurvival and (as far as I know) from everything UT. I will continue the UTS site as I really believe in it and I am thoroughly enjoying writing the tutorials and explanations. Nothing will change except his involvement.

Thanks for reading, I just wanted to clarify this in case there was any question. I know that the fur has been flying at UA and I'd like to make sure none of that comes towards UTS.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

I totally like the idea and concept, thus I registered today :)
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Shadow wrote:I totally like the idea and concept, thus I registered today :)
Welcome aboard Shadow! :P
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

I registerd too. :agree1:
Ill think of something to write, but not for a while, to busy with other stuf right now
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Thanks for looking :tu:

I'm getting a lot of unregistered visitors hitting the download links which is great, so I hope they come back when they want changes to the mods. It's like MHMayhem. I posted that thinking admins would jump on it and personalize it as they wanted the mod to be for their server, but in fact there are multiple MH servers running it as-is. Maybe they are a bit intimidated by changing it, I dunno.