Unwanted ugly Borders on "my" textures - II [solved problem]

Discussions about everything else
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Unwanted ugly Borders on "my" textures - II [solved problem]

Post by Creavion »

Edit: http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=24366#p24366

I hope anybody can help me with those issues - I know I posted something like that some time ago, but this time I hope I can explain my problem a little bit better.

Actually I have problems with my textures all the time (at least textures with alpha), look here:

I changed a texture in order to make a tiled version of it.. I am a ps noob, I know. Take a look at the upper texture - where the leaves are ending - and you see on top of that a strange white looking border. If I try to clamp it.. the texture is not visible anymore or I still have the white boarder after some manual alignment.
Same here on the ground of the upper texture
I have attached the dds textures - ready to import to ut2004 as well as the psd. I have no freaking idea why I always have those white boarders. Nobody could tell me so far what is responsible for that and how I can rid of them.

here the files (the dds ones with the original psd)
http://www.multiupload.com/LT7OEOMZNX

The dds plugin I am using - tried already to disable mip maps there AND even during the import in ut2004 ed. No change.
I could really freak out, I search so long already for a solution why I have always those strange white boarders on my textures with alpha. I just dont get it and it seems nobody knows it. Maybe I save my textures on a wrong way with the dds plugin or whatever.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Re: Unwanted ugly Borders on "my" textures - II

Post by Phorce »

Those little lines at the top ? Are you using the updated renderer ? I have these myself and ugly lined borders around the planet atmosphere in maps like DM Phobos. I have not played with the settings yet but I guess it's something to do with that.
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

UT2004 ed shots. Anyway: With clamping it disappeared. Although it sucks a lot, since retail textures dont have those isssues (I still try to find out whats going on there). Since Unreal 1 gets heavily updated with the engine (also DXT texture support with texture clamping), it has reasons why I ask.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Post by Phorce »

Oops. Missed that. It still might have a bearing here.
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

I assume that UV mapping is accurate.

One of the things that could be causing it is that some texturing of filtering algorithm makes a half-texel shift in the process to have a faster algorithm. This is unnoticeable on a normal texture. If this is the case there isn't much to do. Some cards do this some don't, some drivers do other don't.

Another thing that can be causing it mip-mapping. All textures by default are repetitive. If you pan them too much to the left they will pop up on the right. When a lower resolution version is calculated it takes adjacent pixels and joins them. Thus you have a somewhat blurred version of it.

Some solutions:
If I recall well in UT2004 you have more control over the material. What you're interested in right now is UV-clamp. This sets whether to repeat or not the texture. It's that simple. Generally textures like that don't want to repeat neither in U or V direction.

Another solution is, and the best solution: keep away from the edges. Either make the texture to have all edges 100% transparent (which is always a must on non repetitive trasparent textures, and this is exactly the reason why it is a must), or you set the UV map to ignore the edges. (in case of surface scale up and pan until edges are not visible).

Just bear in mind that all the texture by default are REPETITIVE. What's on one edge will pop up in the other.
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

better?

Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Interesting! And may I please know what I have made wrong there? :o
About to be non-active
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

i had the same thing yesterday, with all texturs even my mouse pointer lol. tough i dont know its the same thing. i fixed it by setting anti-aliasing to "let the program decide" and it was fixed for me.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Me was told so far always the same thing: I have done something wrong with photoshop! :ironic:
About to be non-active
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

As far as I can see ...there is nothing wrong with your PSD.
So it IS a render issue.
robin13
Experienced
Personal rank: NaliSlayer

Post by robin13 »

mind if i ask 1 thing: what are you going to do with that awsome leafe texture :ironic2:
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

UT2004. If you wanna map something colourful, UT2004 is the best choice for texture ripping. :tongue:

Check the Arborea texture packages.
About to be non-active
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

i just took your texture, cleaned the image and sharpened it for a more high res look.

i used irfanview to do most of it.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

It seems!!! I found finally a solution - surely not the best one - since it requieres beside photoshop 3 additional programs (Xnview, DXTBMP and 3D Ripper DX << all freeware)

Look here, left "before" and right "after that".

http://www.abload.de/img/vergleich324i.jpg

1. In PS, I normally make/modify the texture (I directly use the tools within the "main" layers)

2. I have to save the texture twice, one time as PNG (to get the Mask) and a second time with a black background as additional layer to get the image, as bmp.

3. In Xnview I have to remove the Alpha Channel of the PNG version to get the pure mask, I save that then as bmp. (Image -> Extract Channel -> Alpha)

4. in DXTBMP I open the image bmp and have then to replace the mask with the mask I got from Xnview.

http://www.abload.de/img/dxtbmpinfoc2bc.jpg

5. I save this as TGA (since DDS does not work there .. correctly).

6. I start 3D Ripper DX (to start the UnrealEd .. of ut2004 ... in capture texture and geometry mode.

7. I import the TGA in the UT2004Ed and compress it THERE.

8. The Compressing of Textures in UT2004 generally works, however its the EXPORT over file which make them broken, so I have to capture the textures with 3D Ripper DX.

9. Thats it, End. :)

Just in case somebody is interested. I dont know why this works but it really seems the dds plugins for photoshop are .. somehow broken? I dont know. Pretty sure this should do the trick from now on. Since it is not requiered for me to change that much textures, I can live with it.
About to be non-active