NW3 poll - How do you exit UT?

Discussions about everything else

How do you generally exit UT?

I press escape, and click Quit from the main menu
54%
I have a keybind to "Quit"
14%
When in an online game, I type "!exit" to disconnect, then "Quit" through the menu
3%
When in an online game, I type "!quit" to quit completely from the game
16%
I play with UT in window mode, so I just click on the close window [X]
3%
Other way (please specify)
11%

Total votes: 37

Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Re: NW3 poll - How do you exit UT?

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Also remember that there are some mods around (just like Nexgen) which will perform these console commands in certain situations (usual disconnect/exit buttons, kicks/bans, sending players to other servers and probably many many more).

I personally thought about such a method you want to do before, just like changing the player mesh for one map only, but regarding these many situations where the player can disconnect from the server I found it way to risky and didn't want to mess around with the players settings. I hope you will find a smooth way to realize that :)

PS: I always use my keybinds for exitting. Automatically adding your command to the specific key is a nice method to it, good job there ;)
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Sp0ngeb0b wrote:Also remember that there are some mods around (just like Nexgen) which will perform these console commands in certain situations (usual disconnect/exit buttons, kicks/bans, sending players to other servers and probably many many more).
Yeah, you mean stuff like "say !goto serverx" and "say !exit" kinda things? Those are covered in my mod (I reset the settings the moment you type something like "say !", and keep them deactivated a few ticks from the moment hit "enter" so if any command is executed to leave the server in any way, there's no problem).
Sp0ngeb0b wrote:I personally thought about such a method you want to do before, just like changing the player mesh for one map only, but regarding these many situations where the player can disconnect from the server I found it way to risky and didn't want to mess around with the players settings. I hope you will find a smooth way to realize that :)
Well, but a player mesh can be changed in real time afaik with no repercussions in the ini files I think (correct me if I am wrong, I never played with player meshes, but I mean, if the server doesn't have the model/skin installed you possess, it defaults to an existing one, so perhaps that's not much of a problem in that case). My issue is that I have to tweak (and consequently save) a rendering setting itself through commands, and if I miss in resetting it at any time, players will have that redeemer rendering bug of the weapon overlapping the HUD.
So far, the only situations I am not accounting for are: crashes and external mods executing commands hidden (without typing anything to the chat or console nor keybinding them), but even in those 2 ways, once you run NW3 again in some way (a mod using the NW3 core for example in weapon form), it auto-fixes the setting.
Sp0ngeb0b wrote: PS: I always use my keybinds for exitting. Automatically adding your command to the specific key is a nice method to it, good job there ;)
Thanks, it was the only "clean" and effective way I found. :)
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

I mostly meant buttons integrated in the panel which will immediatly execute the PlayerPawn.consoleCommand() function (or as you already said the 'hidden commands'). But from my point of view there's no way to fetch these commands (to bad the engine doesn't allow you to hook in before commands are executed :/ ).

Well I actually never tried changing the skin caus I thought it wouldn't work anyway lol, but thanks for pointing me to that ;)

Anyways, I'm sure you'll find a way which will cover 99% of all possible options :)
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Sp0ngeb0b wrote:I mostly meant buttons integrated in the panel which will immediatly execute the PlayerPawn.consoleCommand() function (or as you already said the 'hidden commands'). But from my point of view there's no way to fetch these commands (to bad the engine doesn't allow you to hook in before commands are executed :/ ).
Actually... I already cover that up as well since the beginning, and I didn't realize it until now (I am so dumb... rofl). Basically, every time the mouse pointer is on in UT (for menus or whatever), I reset the setting because I know the player may be about to open another map, a server or something else through menus.
Therefore, the panel is just another menu, on which the mouse pointer has to be on to be able to click said buttons, so in fact, I already predict those situations as well. :mrgreen:

And btw, in a way, it's good you cannot hook those (at least through UScript), it makes the engine a little bit safer actually.

Anyway, I finished the whole thing up, and here's a resume on what I *cannot* cover:
- automatic hidden commands (I mean, all the commands that are called automatically from a mod with absolutely no knowledge or any input of any form from the user: so either if you either to have these commands called in any way through: keybind, button click or console command, I cover all those, if however it does it totally hidden from you (and which is quite rare), I cannot account for that);
- crashes.

And again, in both situations you just have to run NW3 again in any way and it will be fixed automatically.

So, I think I just covered up 99% of the situations.

Once again, thanks all for your feedback, however whoever didn't vote or gave feedback yet, I would be very grateful if you did so I can have a clearer idea on the whole issue. :tu:

And a last note: once you run NW3, if you have something like:
F8=exit
It will be modified to:
F8=NWClientExit|exit

Only keybinds with exit, quit, open and other commands that can invoke an exit from the current game are affected, all the others remain untouched.

I hope you guys are ok with it (the same keybinds will still work, with just an extra command at the beginning). I will put this info in the ReadMe anyway, so it won't be some hidden thing, you can trust I won't mess your settings up.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I hit ESC & quit, usually.

Sometimes, as with slow down issues, the only way for me to exit is to leave the UT screenview and leave it as an open window so I can click the Windows X in the upper right corner.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

Mostly I open console and type "quit"
The fastest way for me, also because when testing changes in scripts of my mod i need fast change between game and editor.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Pizzi
Novice
Personal rank: Child of the Night

Post by Pizzi »

Theoratical I would not care about that, but this "NWClientExit|" forces to open the MapVote Key Binder at every Map Start as well, and that's really annoying.
Im talking about this:

I didn't found any way for a solution so far, except to delete the "NWClientExit|" in front of my Mapvote Key (mutate bdbmapvote votemenu) in the User.ini.
If you know a way to get rid of that in general, please tell it to me.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

It's a known issue with the current version of NW3 (although the REAL issue is MapVote itself being dumb, but I digress...), and it's already in my list to avoid it.
You can only fix this temporarily in your own side as a player (and probably spread the word to other players): go to the Mod menu, Nali Weapons 3 Client Settings, and in one of the tabs there's a Z-Buffer setting, and you can set it to not manage Z-buffering at all (this should avoid it to add those keybinds), but keep in mind this has a secondary effect: the weapons with glows or other effects will get visually glitchy (or you can set it to be fixed, but then some standard weapons (Redeemer and Flakcannon) will overlap the HUD).
KeeperUTX
Skilled
Personal rank: Eevee will kill you.

Post by KeeperUTX »

I'm your standard ESC dude.

But I never realized that there was an actual command for quitting up until I decided to type quit in the console and UT exited on me during a CTF match. :lol2:
Image This is Eevee, a ferocious creature that never relents in tracking its meal. It will lead you to ruin, and when it does, it will finish you.
The way it bobs its head lefty-righty? It's just cracking it's neck so it can get a better grip on you with its jaws.