Discussions about everything else
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Blacklight Retribution

Post by Feralidragon »

This game is the reason why I didn't play UT for the past few weeks. :D

[youtube]B8LojETUc24[/youtube]

It's a F2P (free to play) game, where you have GP and Zen (to get zen you have to pay money), however paying real money just gives you a boost in experience and get weapons more easily, therefore no one has a real advantage over the other as you can get all the same things by just playing the game (that's why it's cool, obviously I don't pay anything myself), and you have a quite fast gameplay (not as fast as UT, but faster than CoD and other popular FPS, that's for sure).

Also, it has a huge plus: no camping.
I mean, you can try camp, but is worthless in this game, since they have their own "wall hack" of sort to speak: a visor you can turn on which you can see all the players locations and orientation (enemies or not).
However, while you use it you cannot shoot, plus you can only use it for a few seconds at a time, and the longer you use it, the longer it takes to be usable again (which means, once you activate it, then deactivate it, you can only use it again after some time, until it fully charges up).

You can customize pretty much everything (weapons, equipment, character, logo, etc), take other players weapons ingame, buy other weapons/hardsuits/stuff in stations (never with zen, with the points you earned so far in the current match) ingame for the current match, the headshots are pretty awesome, and the game is overall balanced (I had no trouble to take out a level 9 player being a level 1 myself).

Plus, each player has a bounty on their heads, for each and every kill you do without dying, your bounty rises, and you can get to levels like "high threat", "warlord", etc, and once you kill these players you get more points than killing noobs for instance, which is equally awesome.

The game is still in open beta (meaning it still has a few bugs, nothing you can exploit though, just some annoying things), and has DM, TDM, CTF, DOM and KOTH (king of the hill). All of them are team based gametypes except DM.

I strongly advice who has a reasonable enough machine to handle it, to try it out (it takes a long time to download and install, but it's totally worth it imo).
http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/

If someone happens to try it out, my name in-game is Feralidragon, and I am generally either in the US-East server or in the EU server (they have 3 of them, EU generally goes down a lot lately so I started playing in the other one instead).

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Blacklight Retribution

Post by papercoffee »

Aaaahaaa ....there you are.

The game looks cool.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm registered as gopostal (woot, wasn't taken yeah!) and downloading. 4GB...wow...

I'll give this a spin tonight. I promise you Paper, back to the salt mine tomorrow ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

No problem ... the slavedriver got a tennis elbow he need a rest too.
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

Looks nice, I might reinstall Windows just for it.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Cool, this is game is really awesome. At first, it wasn't that convincing (being an UT guy for ages...), but then.... oh boy, really great matches there.

A couple things/advices so you don't get annihilated (so easily) in the first rounds:
- Do the first training course
- Use the HRV (hit V key once, look around, and I sure you will start to hit V a lot ;) )
- Don't camp! (you won't be banned or anything, nothing like that, instead you will get killed in seconds, a few minutes if you're lucky, by the time you use the item above you will understand why lol)
- Customize your player, logo, weapon, etc
- Every time you get a new character level, check your "emails" in the game (to get the level awards which are generally temporary weapon upgrades which you can try before you actually buy them using GP [GP is the "free" currency of the game which you win by just playing the game])
- Try to use a hardsuit whenever you can (those robots in the trailer and last screenshot, they're VERY strong, but easy to beat with the right weapons)
- Before you spawn a hardsuit, use the HRV to look around, and spawn it only if the enemies are far enough from you to harm you while you spawn it, otherwise your hardsuit may get hijacked by an enemy

Generally I am in the US-East server (which is the best one for me, EU has a slightly better ping but it's been very unstable), so you will most likely to find me there, also in each server you have a different player, so if you reach level 2, 3, etc and customize your stuff in one server, once you go to another you start another character. If any of you ever played OGame, basically consider each server as a different "universe".
Each server hosts several gametypes and online matches.
papercoffee wrote:No problem ... the slavedriver got a tennis elbow he need a rest too.
Wrong topic? LOL :lol2:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

what are the minimum system requirements??
Looks like a game I can NOT play :( ...
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Basically, if you can run UT3, you can run this (it's a game built on UEngine 3), although they are working to make it lighter (and eventually perhaps lighter than UT3).

Minimum:
Windows XP/Vista/7(32bit)
Dual Core CPU
2GB RAM
256MB DX9 GPU (Geforce 8xxx or Radeon HD2xxx)
8GB Free HD Space
DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
Broadband internet connection

Recommended:
Windows 7(64bit)
Quad Core CPU
4GB RAM
1GB+ DX11 GPU
8GB Free HD Space
DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
Broadband internet connection

That's why I told "who has a reasonable enough machine to handle it", what are your specs?
Fortunately I have a bit more than the recommended in my current laptop, so it runs super smoothly, but even so if you have a P4 2GHz you might still run it (these requirements weren't updated during the optimization updates, so, they might be lower now, not sure though).

EDIT: Btw, for whoever is interested: http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/game ... -guide/hrv
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

specks.jpg
specks.jpg (3.82 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
Well... :cry: :nonono: :help:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Hmmm, don't get your hopes up, but perhaps it can still run it (AMD may have the worse CPUs imo, but were the best for gaming at the P4 old times, so you may get some luck), what's your graphic card?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:what's your graphic card?
what graphic card?

I have an on-board graphic card ...GForce 6150 SE nForce 430
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Hmmm, for an onboard graphic chip that's not bad at all, but I don't think it's enough for a game like this.... you can try it anyway just to check out, but.... :\
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

LOL. Paper, I do not get, why you have asked at all. I mean, wasn`t this obvious to you? :lol2:

I could most likely not play as well ... but rather because of the shitty Internet connection I have here.

DSL 3000 is for serious online gaming just a joke! I suck with gaming anyway, I do not need to have an additional ping-handycap as well. :ironic2: :thudown:

Anyway. In case the game has some forests, swamps and/or jungles, make sure to take some screenshots! :mrgreen:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Creavion wrote:LOL. Paper, I do not get, why you have asked at all. I mean, wasn`t this obvious to you? :lol2:
Hope dies last... :ironic2:
Anyway. In case the game has some forests, swamps and/or jungles, make sure to take some screenshots! :mrgreen:
Did you see the videos?
It's mostly tech and industrial theme.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote: Anyway. In case the game has some forests, swamps and/or jungles, make sure to take some screenshots! :mrgreen:
They don't, at least not yet (idk what they're planning), their maps stock is still a bit limited (around 6~7 maps only, but all with a great gameplay), and they released another recently (HeloDeck, a small map for fast-paced action, some hate it, some love it (like me :mrgreen: )).