New monsters

Discussions about everything else
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: New monsters

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:36 am .. the xloc.u ...
Is it actually that file? If so, can you post it?

Xcom.u has monsters with low health - just 10 - are you referring to this?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Ohh... right.

My bad, I meant xcom.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

There are a lot of interesting monsters in the MUPawns.u, most of which I've not fully explored yet, but I wanted to share 2 I found interesting and somewhat frustrating.

1 is called a SkaarjZombie which is fast, tough, and sadly disappointing. Bunch spawned into a map edit I'm working on and immediately started killing each other... which doesn't make for great gameplay.

The other is a Skraag, it's this limbless floating thing that looks like it has gun ports in its torso but I never saw it shoot anything. Looks cool but kinda useless.
Attachments
Shot0036.png
Shot0029.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:37 am There are a lot of interesting monsters in the MUPawns.u, most of which I've not fully explored yet, but I wanted to share 2 I found interesting and somewhat frustrating.
Yes, I don't use either of those - of the zombies in that package I only use the FatSkaarjZombie, though the SkaarjZombies are OK. I think there are coding errors with the other zombies that account for their frustrating behaviour. By the way, those are ZombieTroopers in the first image - try giving them a weapon.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:54 pm Homer Simpson monster?
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... =Homer.zip
Glitch:
Homer monster has his own weapon, not surprisingly beer themed. Small problem if you pick it up, it basically destroys your weapon inventory.

Hard to explain. If you have 4 weapons, you'll lose all but 1 of them. Everytime you pick up a weapon after that, you'll lose the 1 you previously had. Seems to stay like this until you restart the match.
I recently learned the glitch doesn't come into play when this monster is used in MonsterHunt, just as I also learned fighting more than 1 Homer at a time, even with NW3, is not easy.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 pm I recently learned the glitch doesn't come into play when this monster is used in MonsterHunt, just as I also learned fighting more than 1 Homer at a time, even with NW3, is not easy.
The other 'glitch' is that there is a player model with the same name (Homer.u) so one has to choose which one to keep and use.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 pmthat there is a player model with the same name (Homer.u) so one has to choose which one to keep and use.
In those instances I always go with the monster, as I prefer to fight many of them than a bot wearing it.

Had a similar issue a stretch back with a map edit...
...the predators come from the predator.u file, along with a monsterpack as well. Nelsona had the file but for a predator/Yautja model, so his system went berserk trying to spawn in that model instead of the monster.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:46 pm ...the predators come from the predator.u file, along with a monsterpack as well. Nelsona had the file but for a predator/Yautja model, so his system went berserk trying to spawn in that model instead of the monster.

Sounds hilarious though I'm sure it wasn't. I use the predator in AsgardPredator.u or Napali105.u to avoid the conflict with predator.u since I do use that model for a bot.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Not new exactly but different - nice skin variation I haven't seen before - courtesy of Leo and Yrex - from viewtopic.php?f=59&t=13776
Insekt.jpg
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I thought we weren't supposed to use the insekt monster cuz of some glitch during play... or is that only for online play?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:12 am I thought we weren't supposed to use the insekt monster cuz of some glitch during play... or is that only for online play?
I've used the insekt a lot offline and haven’t had any problems as far as I can recall (except possibly in one particular map) though it does spam a lot of log errors due to the projectile.

However this isn’t exactly the insekt and it doesn’t throw any errors in the log.

On the broader issue of whether one uses a particular monster, I think that is for the individual to determine based on the significance of the issues/problems with that monster, the 'value' of that monster to them (does it add to the enjoyment of the game for example?) and the circumstances in which it wil be used. It's fair to say that a lot of the non-default UT monsters have issues of one kind or another, in part due to poor coding even when they are based on or derived from default UT monsters. For me, playing off-line, the critical issue really is whether or not a monster will cause crashes on a frequent basis or otherwise impair my enjoyment of the game. I can live with missing animations, for example, as these are not critical and I can live with infrequent crashes (one in 200/300 games say though I would prefer it not to crash at all) if the monster is sufficiently interesting or different and so adds variety to the game. There are monsters I don't use like LeDino as these are too buggy and cause frequent crashes. Using potentially buggy monsters on-line is obviously very different as one does not want server crashes at all.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:33 amI've used the insekt a lot offline and haven’t had any problems as far as I can recall
You misunderstand, could've been my phrasing. The glitch in the insekt is supposedly online... offline it's perfectly okay.

Although, if the glitch is in its projectiles, you'd think simply changing the projectiles would solve that.

Curiously its default projectiles are from the Unreal1 shock-rifle,
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:18 pm Curiously its default projectiles are from the Unreal1 shock-rifle,
That's odd - the one I have has the railrocket as the default projectile - it uses the TazerProj mesh and seems to be based on the BruteProjectile.

Looking at old threads here, it seems the problem with the insekt was more to do with the fact that it didn't work with the old D3D renderer - though the projectile did spam lots of log warnings.

For the one I posted the screenshot of, see ASP.u that comes with the Assault S Pack Demo 2 from Leo and Yrex at the link I gave.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I posted this screenshot awhile ago...
...and it started something, however indirectly.

That's a dragon for a monsterpack from ut2004.

JackGriffin took a shot at making dragons from that · viewtopic.php?f=59&t=6602 · but his versions were never possible to work in UT, only for Unreal 227.

There's a guy I know from a couple facebook groups who's taking a shot at it now. He's got an amazing knack for converting high quality graphic content from other games to work in ut99, though he's not on this forum.

When the dragons are ready, if he can get them to work, I'll post about them.
Attachments
Clip0002.png
Clip0001.png
93243189_2500917836678399_1107351953135894528_n.png
92893969_527519007960434_2446058135056547840_n.png
Last edited by EvilGrins on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, that looks pretty cool - certainly interested to see how it turns out. The animations seem to be the tricky part with conversions particularly with that type of model I would think.