New monsters

Discussions about everything else
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: New monsters

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:01 pmYeah, that looks pretty cool - certainly interested to see how it turns out
On an annoying front, turns out the guy working on the dragons for me actually is one of the UNMENTIONABLE ONES which I only realized later... and because he's still got a major grudge with anyone affiliated with this forum around when he was banned in 2013 (to be fair I knew he was banned but I hadn't realized he was one of the UNMENTIONABLES) so presenting me with what he thought as a trap.

He worked the dragon until he got it fully functional, achieving what even JackGriffin said was impossible... and then he refused to let me have it. His whole bit was that he wanted to tease me with it and then blast me for being in on his getting banned and a whole bunch of other nonsense. Doesn't seem to bother him I had nothing to do with that, but because I didn't come to his defense (truthfully he was working on something at the time I had no interest in so I never went into any of the threads he created).

So he created it and then taunted me about it saying I was never going to get it... which was mostly only frustrating because he talks in broken short sentences and rapidly, so I'd respond to the bulk of what he'd send, I'd pop off facebook to do something else, and by the time I got back (all done in PMs) there'd be about 50 to 90 more broken sentences from him.
That boy needs therapy!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Recently I had a chat with him in Hangouts and he was happy to talk with me about several things that had to be done in a map - not a very usual map.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:56 pm Recently I had a chat with him in Hangouts and he was happy to talk with me about several things that had to be done in a map - not a very usual map.
PM me the details, this is a monster thread and I don't wanna deviate to maps here.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:10 pm He worked the dragon until he got it fully functional, achieving what even JackGriffin said was impossible... and then he refused to let me have it. His whole bit was that he wanted to tease me with it and then blast me for being in on his getting banned and a whole bunch of other nonsense.

That boy needs therapy!
Yeah, that's very annoying. From what's been said here before, he claims to be a better coder than anyone else but has never actually shared any of the stuff he has done so that claim can't be verified.

Of course, without seeing the dragon fully functional one can't know that that claim is correct either.

Rather ironic as well that someone spent an hour of their time helping him and then he does this!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I seriously need to go through all my .u files, because I've got monsters I didn't even know I had.

Those on the right are from AlternatePawns.u which I knew about, but those on the left are from BboyPawns.u which I wasn't even aware I had.

How many more do I have I don't know about?!?
Attachments
zzzClip0001.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:53 am I seriously need to go through all my .u files, because I've got monsters I didn't even know I had.
Yeah, you'll probably be surprised how many you don't know about.

It can be a long and labourious process but it only needs to be done once as you can then keep on top of it by checking out each new .u you acquire. Best to use something like UTPT and, of course, to keep a text file with a note of each relevant .u package and its contents (basically, the summons).

First thing to do before starting is to go through any readmes you might have for .u packages, make a note of the content of these, then you can check those when you go through the actual packages (sometimes people forget to include every class/monster in their readme).

One thing to look at when going through the .u packages is what is the super (or superior) class from which monsters are subclassed as, in some cases, the superior class may be in another package which you don't have and so the one you're checking won't work (of course, this applies to anything the subclass may use like sounds or textures for example but this may be more difficult to detect - hence the need for testing and checking the log constantly).

The final thing of course, is testing out what you have come across as you may find that some are buggy (bad amins or, worse, bad code that causes a freeze or crash) or are only for Unreal (though this can be obvious from looking at the classes, it isn't always).
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Has anyone seen any pokemon related pawns?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Chamberly wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:58 pm Has anyone seen any pokemon related pawns?
Just the GeoDude, alteration to the Gasbags · http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... dude#p6857
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Chamberly wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:58 pm Has anyone seen any pokemon related pawns?
There's a Blastoise player model but that's not quite what you're asking :P

There's a friendly GeoDude plus some weird poke balls in this pokegeoman.zip - there's no readme so I've got no idea what it's all supposed to do (despite having played around with it for a while).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

You'd need U4E for the "Monster Master" model. Based clearly off Ash Ketchum of Pokemon, he carries a glowy purple orb from which he can summon monsters into the game:
This didn't work so well in MonsterHunt, as apparently the summoned monster isn't always so loyal. There's a message that flashes on the screen after anything is summoned, telling whether or not the monster will be loyal or not.

Occasionally not loyal, most often is... and while you can't control it, it will respond violently to anyone who attacks you.

Ash also carries a knife for melee attacks. It's weird, having these models in game effects some of the other weapons on any map they play on, without needing the use of any extra mutator to bring that about.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

There was another pokemon mod, I can't remember name of it though.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

As monsters go, the UMS Space Marines are interesting. They about as much like players as one can get without being players. They tend to support each other, they have their own internal voicepack, and they can use the same weapons players do. In that they're much like the Military Skaarj monsters, who can pick up weapons and use them too.

Similar in design to the Military Skaarj, the UMS Space Marines can be assigned specific weapons to start out with rather than wait until they find weapons to use... but that's where the differences begin.

I'm currently doing an edit of DM-Brikby, mostly becaue I'm bored. I'd never really mapped with the UMS Space Marines prior to this, so thought I'd give them a go, which was when I made an interesting discovery...

...UMS Space Marines are immune to whatever weapons they're carrying.

If they're carrying instagibs, they can't be killed by instagibs. If they're carrying redeemers, they can't be killed by redeemers or the explosions caused by redeemers.

Or, at least, not when fired by a specific UMS Space Marine or any other UMS Space Marines with the same weapon.

I haven't checked to see if a UMS Space Marine carrying an instagib can be killed by someone else with an instagib, or killed by a redeemer from a bot or player when the UMS Space Marine has been assigned a redeemer... but that would be very cool if it did make them immune.

People that run redeemer matches could put a couple on the map, assign them the specific redeemer type that their games use, and they might as well be like the Cyberus... completely unkillable.
Attachments
umsspacemarine.zip
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
Shot0096.png
Shot0113.png
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, I was wrong about the UMS Space Marines, but still right.

It doesn't matter what weapons they're carrying, each UMS Space Marine is completely invulnerable to shots from redeemers and instagibs... which is very weird.

Gonna have to take some shots at them with NW3 nukes to see something, but think UMS Space Marines can only be killed by normal Unreal1 & ut99 weapons.

Redeemers & Instagibs are not normal weapons, they're super-weapons.
Attachments
Shot0111.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 pm It doesn't matter what weapons they're carrying, each UMS Space Marine is completely invulnerable to shots from redeemers and instagibs... which is very weird.
I had a look at the code but don't know enough to determine what causes that. The other thought I had is that it may be something to do with their suit (which gives immunity to a custom damagetype 'Spacewalk'). It would be nice if someone with coding knowledge could throw more light on this invulnerability to certain types of damage.

Oh yeah, don't know if you know but when you put them in a map, you can set them to explode when hurt - so you can have some fun by having just a few to explode to confuse their opponents (you) - of course, this may cause damage to other UMS Space Marines close by but still could be interesting. Alternatively they can be set to teleport when hurt.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Dropped a line to Barbie to get a clue on their coding.
OjitroC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 pmOh yeah, don't know if you know but when you put them in a map, you can set them to explode when hurt - so you can have some fun by having just a few to explode to confuse their opponents (you) - of course, this may cause damage to other UMS Space Marines close by but still could be interesting. Alternatively they can be set to teleport when hurt.
Saw those in their options, didn't select either. Wasn't sure where they would teleport to and excess exploding seemed unnecessary.

Mostly only set them up to drop health and redeemers when they died.