New monsters

Discussions about everything else
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: New monsters

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:01 pmYes, would be interested to know where this was used
Got it from here · http://82.64.33.104/Redirection/
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm
OjitroC wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:01 pmYes, would be interested to know where this was used
Got it from here · http://82.64.33.104/Redirection/
Yes, sure - I got it from there as well. No, the point I was making is in what map(s) and for what purpose(s) was it used? Given its characteristics of friendliness to players, aggression to bots and seeming indifference to scriptedpawns, I can't quite work out how it would have been used - it's not as though it supports the player and attacks 'creatures' attacking the player. It must have been used for some passive purpose presumably?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I can't seem to find any maps it was used on, it may've been created just for the sake of being created.

Although there is the HvB mutator, Humans vs Bots. PetSkaarj could be handy for those.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:01 pm [...] I presume it would be easy enough to code a subclass of it so that it would be friendly to bots as well, though not sure what the point of that would be?
I suppose for .... having a pet Skaarj, I guess!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:38 pm
OjitroC wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:01 pm [...] I presume it would be easy enough to code a subclass of it so that it would be friendly to bots as well, though not sure what the point of that would be?
I suppose for .... having a pet Skaarj, I guess!
Not much of a pet though - Friendly in this case means ignore (totally)!
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hm, sounds like a boring kind of pet, then. Surely there ought to be a way!

I remember having tried to make a class in GusPackII that actually made monsters friendly, as in it made them attack any other Pawns that damaged you. It was some pretty shitty spaghetti code, but for a moment it did work, then it never again did anymore. There was also a separate class that allowed mounting a Pawn like a steed, like, anything from Queens to Giant Mantas to friggin Brutes! Fun times.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:05 pmI remember having tried to make a class in GusPackII that actually made monsters friendly, as in it made them attack any other Pawns that damaged you.
Well...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4177&p=65080&hilit=rebel#p65080
...and...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4177&p=65042&hilit=krall#p65042
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I read the thread, okay? I know who these weirdlings are! And I guess they are a bit more... pet-like?... ehh...

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

The Unreal Resurgence thread, which is dead on this forum, is still very much active on UnrealSP.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Looking for something that appears to be a bot but isn't? And looks like a human but isn't? And something that spends most of its time doing victory thrusts? And sounds like a Skaarj? AND carries a redeemer? AND will leave a redeemer for you as well?

Well ... this is for you
Shot00509.png

Shot00505.png

it's UTJSkarrjMalcom
UTJMonster.zip
(56.81 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Just something I have come across - don't think it has been posted here before (did a search, couldn't find it).

To summon in-game : UTJMonster.UTJSkarrjMalcom (Yes, the spelling is odd).

Caveat : Only gave it a brief test - there will be some log spam due to missing animations. Plus it will quite possibly blow itself up!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:18 pmOnly gave it a brief test - there will be some log spam due to missing animations. Plus it will quite possibly blow itself up!
Hmmmm... I can skin it.
Attachments
zzpClip0001.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:48 pm Hmmmm... I can skin it.
You can indeed!

You might want to look at the collision as the height and radius seem rather high - though this may have been deliberate.

In passing - I've no idea how well the intended sounds work as I've noticed that some of the sound slots (like Hit3 and Hit4) have been duplicated by the maker's code - I don't know which slot sound would play when called (presumably the first one of the two). It seems a rather odd way to go about it as it would have been easier to import the sounds into the .u file and assign them to existing slots rather than create new and hence duplicate slots. Still the 'thing' is more for fun than anything else - it may have had a particular role in a specific map; I don't now remember where I got it from.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 pmYou might want to look at the collision as the height and radius seem rather high - though this may have been deliberate.
It's subclassed off the Skaarj, which are generally larger than a standard human player. Likely due to that.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:36 pm It's subclassed off the Skaarj, which are generally larger than a standard human player. Likely due to that.
Yes, I was thinking that but ... the mesh is the default Soldier mesh which will be slightly smaller than the Skaarj Trooper mesh - I could be wrong but I don't think the size of the mesh is changed (the DrawScale is set to 1, for example).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

As some of you may know, a long time back someone used the Unreal Engine to create, in Unreal1 style, a Star Trek game called Klingon Honor Guard and I'd been meaning to check into it to see if it had anything that could be ported into ut99 usage. As much, though not all, of the U1 content works in UT.

I was primarily hoping for phasers, Klingon disruptors at the very least.... but...

This is from the TitanX.u and it's called a KstoneTitan, but I'm not sure that to make of it. Only checked it out in UnrealEd so far. My aim is to open everything, place it onto a test map, then pop in to see what's viable.

Added: This may be something that was listed as part of Honor Guard but actually wasn't. Feels like a player edit.
Attachments
titanx.u
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
zzzwtfClip0001.png