New monsters

Discussions about everything else
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: New monsters

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:18 am This is from the TitanX.u and it's called a KstoneTitan, but I'm not sure that to make of it. Only checked it out in UnrealEd so far. My aim is to open everything, place it onto a test map, then pop in to see what's viable.

Added: This may be something that was listed as part of Honor Guard but actually wasn't. Feels like a player edit.
I don't think that the KStoneTitan has anything to do with KHG. Not the type of thing that would be in it plus TitanX doesn't use anything from KHG or the Unreal port called Klingons.

No idea why the KStoneTitan appears the way it does - it uses the normal Titan skin plus multiskins from UnrealI/Unrealshare (GreenSkull icon and Jtree textures). Looking at the Display properties, for some reason both bCurvyMesh and bParticles are set to True (normally set to False) and perhaps this is the reason for the appearance with what I take to be a bitterfishschool icon.

Not sure the KBoulder works as a projecticle as I think the Titan's projecticles are hard-coded and there is no code in Titanx to change that - but I could be wrong.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:06 pmNo idea why the KStoneTitan appears the way it does - it uses the normal Titan skin plus multiskins from UnrealI/Unrealshare (GreenSkull icon and Jtree textures). Looking at the Display properties, for some reason both bCurvyMesh and bParticles are set to True (normally set to False) and perhaps this is the reason for the appearance with what I take to be a bitterfishschool icon.
Its weird looking but it's kinda cool watching it move (exactly like a normal titan but all those "chess pieces" wobble almost like they're barely maintaining the form) which no screenshot can convey but still...
Attachments
Shot0104.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, strictly speaking this isn't a monster so much as a bot... but it's kinda cool looking so here we go:
· Doesn't seem to have attacks of its own, uses weapons in-game.
· Hold weapon wrong in left hand but the way it stands when firing the right arm is clearly the shooting side.
· Mouth is animated.
· Annoying bit of texture off the right side that doesn't move.
· Has a .u file and a .utx file.
Attachments
cyberdemon2000.zip
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
Clip0001.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:27 am Okay, strictly speaking this isn't a monster so much as a bot... but it's kinda cool looking so here we go:

· Annoying bit of texture off the right side that doesn't move.
Yeah, that's a common problem with models imported from Quake - I do use it but as a scriptedpawn because of this problem.

I've often thought that this model is a pale imitation of the 'real' thing (an example of which can be found in DoomPawns for Unreal).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:01 am(an example of which can be found in DoomPawns for Unreal).
I continually keep looking to see if anyone adapted those Doompawns to function in UT.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Here we have the Lava Beast
Lavabeast.jpg
It's from SteeleDawn (an uncompleted Unreal SP campaign/mod) - recovered and posted by Leo on OldUnreal (along with the SD maps, which may or may not work in UT, and a couple of weapons which work in UT MH but not in other UT gametypes). The Lava Beast is obviously a modified Titan but the colour is cool and it throws lava 'boulders' with nice smoke/steam and fire effects - it's about the third of the size of a Titan and the lower health means it can be used in more situations than a normal Titan. It does have mostly Titan sounds, which is a pity, but these can be altered in a subclass (where the sounds aren't hard coded).

Link to the thread Steele Dawn - the Lost Expansion Pack - uncovered
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

From the Savage Land SP...

Don't know if it will work in MH, but I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces if it does.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Gimme a download to DoomPawns and I can check what it would take to port. Could be a fun side project.

edit:nvm? They seem to just work.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

SilverSound wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 am Gimme a download to DoomPawns and I can check what it would take to port. Could be a fun side project.

edit:nvm? They seem to just work.
Really? They don't work for me in UT.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

No - DoomPawns don't work in UT. This is what the log says when summoning a couple
UT log wrote:ScriptLog: Fabricate doompawns.demon
Log: Failed import: Function Function UnrealShare.SpriteSmokePuff.PostBeginPlay (file ../System/UnrealShare.u)
Warning: Failed to load 'doompawns': Can't find Function in file 'Function UnrealShare.SpriteSmokePuff.PostBeginPlay'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class doompawns.demon': Can't find Function in file 'Function UnrealShare.SpriteSmokePuff.PostBeginPlay'
ScriptLog: Fabricate doompawns.imp
Log: Failed import: Function Function UnrealShare.SpriteSmokePuff.PostBeginPlay (file ../System/UnrealShare.u)
Warning: Failed to load 'doompawns': Can't find Function in file 'Function UnrealShare.SpriteSmokePuff.PostBeginPlay'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class doompawns.imp': Can't find Function in file 'Function UnrealShare.SpriteSmokePuff.PostBeginPlay'
The PostBeginPlay function in SpriteSmokePuff in UnrealShare for UT differs slightly from that in UnrealShare for Unreal Gold - hence the inability for find the function in UT.

It's clear from the readme for DoomPawns that they are for Unreal only.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I can summon each and every pawn in game and VIA Editor placement Just fine.
Log errors don't make it not work.

Edit: in fact: I'm not even getting a single log error. :noidea
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

SilverSound wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm I can summon each and every pawn in game and VIA Editor placement Just fine.
Log errors don't make it not work.

Edit: in fact: I'm not even getting a single log error. :noidea
So they work in 469b :? :o :tu: Yeah, thanks for that - I got me trying DoomPawns in each UT version - I'd only tried them in 436 before.

Interesting, very interesting - I see that the PostBeginPlay function in SpriteSmokePuff in the 469b UnrealShare is now the same as the one in UnrealShare in Unreal Gold but, of course, different to the one in Unreal Share in 436 or 451 - this is the reason why those pawns now work in 469b.

It raises the question of what else in 469b UnrealShare is different to the UnrealShare in other UT versions and furthermore is this change documented anywhere?

On a pedantic note, no the log errors don't make it not work - rather they indicate why the DoomPawns don't work in 436/451.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I haven't gotten 469, probably not going to anytime soon.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Trying to help Delacroix out, and failing horribly (internet searches when not fully awake... the struggle is real) I did find those 2 links and started skimming them for monsters and whatnot.
In doing so I found a familiar monster in the mix... the TitanX:
OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:06 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:18 am This is from the TitanX.u and it's called a KstoneTitan, but I'm not sure that to make of it. Only checked it out in UnrealEd so far. My aim is to open everything, place it onto a test map, then pop in to see what's viable.

Added: This may be something that was listed as part of Honor Guard but actually wasn't. Feels like a player edit.
I don't think that the KStoneTitan has anything to do with KHG. Not the type of thing that would be in it plus TitanX doesn't use anything from KHG or the Unreal port called Klingons.
While this does seem to have NOTHING to do with Honor Guard, there's a number of monsters and weapons that're listed as "Klingon". Though why they're called that is beyond me.

That green thing? That's a Klingon_Mercenary.

I haven't tested the weapons yet, but they look to be re-purposed Unreal1 weapons.
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0004.png
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0005.png
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0003.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:05 pm ... there's a number of monsters and weapons that're listed as "Klingon". Though why they're called that is beyond me.
Yeah, those 'Klingon' monsters are a weird bunch. The KOfficer from klin.u has a Bird mesh and doesn't do anything (not surprisingly!).