DRM of games

Discussions about everything else
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

DRM of games

Post by Creavion »

No long post:
Some weeks ago I bought Torchtlight (1), hearing from it it is decent game without any aggressive DRM. It turned out of not having ANY DRM at all, I was not even "forced" to have the disc in the drive for playing.. holy :ironic:.
Last game where I was "confronted" with such situtation was Gothic 1 (I do not count the UT games now). In fact I have not even played the game so far (I only quickly started it to the first time to see if it works without any problems).
So, I actually only supported the developer so for the "fair deal".

A game called Darksiders also got my attention. However before I would consider buying it, I googled for its DRM:
I say annoying primarily because the game prompts you to sign up every time you load it regardless of whether or not you're interested.
Well... no idea what I should think about it.

I dont know what you guys are doing, before you buy a new game, but it is somehow sad if I consider, I try to find out the DRM first, before I even consider buying a new game. I really like buying games, however I insist having a boxed version. Something to put in my room. I dont care about games only offered as digital copy.

Maybe we can use this thread for people asking for the DRM of a game, in case they won`t find out (since it is not that easy sometimes).
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Raynor
Adept

Re: DRM of games

Post by Raynor »

Some my thoughts...

Nowdays only game I play extensively on PC is UT and almost all other gaming is done with my Xbox 360. After some extensive research and analyzing I become to conclusion that it is not worth dealing with unfriendly DRM schemes and sloppy PC ports. While there are some nice exceptions it does not make other problems non-existent. Worst emerging trend I see nowdays is online requirement for single player games. That kind of DRM instantly means steer clear for me. And who will guarantee that these games still work after developer/publisher goes under and authentication servers are pulled offline - crack legally purchased games?
Another thing is Steam, I think it's the best and at same time worst thing happeing with PC gaming right now for very same reasons. While its DRM is probably most consumer friendly it again does not guarantee unconditional access to my games library when for example I'm offline for extended periods or Stream servers go offline (which is quite improbable but still...). I am not trying to highlight consoles as better gaming platform, but for example if I want to play some game after 20 years from now on all I have to do is pop game disc into tray and hit Start - no need for any CD-keys, online authentication or limited install numbers. And I can be sure that game works with given platform.
Gone are the days when PC gaming was a pleasant and all you had to do is enter CD-key and enjoy the game. Game as a service and not as a product is becoming more topical in near future. While publishers are trying to hide that fact or present it as attractive as possible it is not something I'm looking forward to.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ Raynor +1
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Well the consoles are not any better anyway, neither with DLC nor with "DRM". I mean to remember current codemasters products also need to activated on consoles, what you would expect to see more on the PC. I dont know the details, but console games are not free from DRM "bullying". With steam somehow I agree. And the future does not look bright. I am glad I have gotten older and not that crazy for games anymore. I feel however sorry for the "current generation" of gamers.

paper: I am disappoint! First: It means "+1" and second: Please write a little bit more °_o
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I agree Creavion. Indeed there are some loathed practices like locked out on-disc DLC (thank goodness for GOTY versions) and online passes. My concers are primarily tied with ability to play games anytime and anywhere and even after years from now on.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Creavion wrote:I mean to remember current codemasters products also need to activated on consoles
Never played the new generation of games ...is this really the case???
What a sad world ...Now I am uncertain if I ever want to change to a better console hardware. If I can't play it 10 year later, because the master server for registration was gone offline, then is this for me - money thrown out of the window.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I think he means online pass. A code that comes with new game that needs to be activated in order to access multiplayer features. If you buy game second hand and the code is already used by previous owner you're either locked out from multiplayer or your can purchase online pass separately which usually costs around $10. Fortunately not many publishers use online pass (mainly EA).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Raynor wrote:Fortunately not many publishers use online pass (mainly EA).
Good ...I don't like EA.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I also have all my games on original discs, but as I would rather not keep swapping discs just to play a game, I have always looked for a NoCD or protection crack.
http://www.gamecopyworld.com is the first and usually only place I go.

Creavion, is that Darksiders called "Darksiders: Wrath of War" ? Image
http://m0001.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc ... ders.shtml
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Do you also have an .iso of those stored as a backup? Every time I have a CD worth of content I always save an iso (and even burn a CD as a backup for it... because you know, things get scratches or may even break).
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

I buy all my games exclusively through Steam now. Especially during their sales. Im currently having issues with my cable not connecting and so far have not had an issue playing my games. Granted I've only tried Skyrim since Killing Floor and Left 4 Dead are really only enjoyable online. Ill try out othe games when I get home.

I also backup all the games I download on my file server and on DVDs.

I also have a 360 controller (wired) that I use when I play racing games casually (don't feel like breaking out the steering wheel setup), third person shooters and emulators.