Permission To Use Files

Discussions about everything else
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Permission To Use Files

Post by editor Dave »

cK1 wrote:This topic deals with at least 2 different issues in 2 different scenarios:
Permissions;
Credits;
in
Big projects packed in a zip file published to download somewhere;
Simple maps that goes directly to a server.
That's what I realized, too, although it is more about giving credits as permissions will mainly be given anyway, and that single maps can also be released on forums with a readme.
And actually, I see no difference between releasing a 10-map pack and a single map - credits must be given if files by another person were used.
cK1 wrote: The main question of my post:
OK, maps on a server are still "public", so, if these maps have a text event informing where you can find the info about this map (URLs to a blog, clan website, etc) and in these places is a section telling what I used (with authors name if known), would that be enough to the "credits" issue?
Of course! As long as you give credits, it doesn't matter where you do that. You can create a readme, you can post it on your server's forum, you can create in-game advertisements (something like that was used in Revelation's Chronoshift), you can also add a little text notify, e.g. during the spectator mode at the beginning. :o
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

If permission were always granted by the authors as long as there are credits
Applies for my stuff at least, yes.

No wall of text again but rather a small summary:
  • Credit other peoples in your readme if you use their work
  • Dont only release a map as server download but rather as normal file download as well, with a readme (to let people know who has done which content)
  • If you can not find the author of a certain file state clearly you are not the author of that file or ask in a forum if anybody else knows about that
  • Custom music files often includes the authors name: Use Modplug Player or Tracker
Do you guys agree or disagree with that? Is that simple and understandable? Have I forgotten about something? Should we pin something like that somewhere?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
cK1
Novice

Post by cK1 »

• Dont only release a map as server download but rather as normal file download as well, with a readme (to let people know who has done which content)
  • If you can not find the author of a certain file state clearly you are not the author of that file or ask in a forum if anybody else knows about that
  • Custom music files often includes the authors name: Use Modplug Player or Tracker
1- no
2- no
3- yes and no
4- maybe

I'll do it my way, I hope it's enough and it's all I can/will do.
Last edited by cK1 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

A quick example, of how easy it is.
And an example standard Unreal readme that has been filled-out by the author (I thought about posting on of Frag's but they are epic :tu: )

Code: Select all

================================================================
Title                   :Falkenstein
Version                 :1.00
Release Date            :08/01/2000
Filename                :DM-Falkenstein.unr
Author(s)               :Robert A. Wey
Email Address           :diinc@ecenet.com
Web Page                :http://www.ecenet.com/~diinc
Description             :Large castle map.

Previous Maps		:DM-Camelot, DM-KonousR2, DM-GoltliebsRetreat, DM-FourthOrder

Special Thanks to       :All the regulars at the Nali City Advanced Level Editing forum.
                        :Wes & regulars for beta testing.
			:The creator of the ShaneChurch texture package.
			:King Ludwig II, for his inspiration.

--- Play Information ---
Game                    :UnrealTournament
Level Name              :Falkenstein:  In memory of King Ludwig II
Single Player           :Bot support
Cooperative             :No
Deathmatch              :Yes
Dark Match              :No
Difficulty Settings     :N/A
New Sounds              :None
New Graphics            :CT5 Texture Package
NewUnrealScript         :WeyScriptSD
External DLLs           :No
Known bugs              :There is one BSP collision hull in the upper northwest bedroom that
			:results in a "see-thru" on the bed...but otherwise is inconcequential.
			:Bots seldom venture to the upper levels.  The two way door script works
			:fine on server side but has visual problem on client side.  When this
			:occurs, however, their collision is still valid and will cause no
			:problems.

--- Construction ---
Editor(s) used          :UEd1 & UEd2
Base                    :New Map from Scratch
Poly Count		: >30,000
Build Time		:26 Minutes (Athlon 650, Via KX133 Motherboard, 256K PC133 RAM)
Editing Time            :Don't ask.

Installation
------------
Extract and copy:
	DM-Falkenstein.unr to your Maps directory.
	CT5.utx to your textures directory.
	WeyScriptSD to your System directory.

Author's Notes
--------------
The primary reason for this map's creation was two-fold:  1) To make as realistic a castle setting
as possible, and 2) an acid test of the UEd build process.

With respect to the first criteria, a LOT of time was spent on the architecture before any
editing was done.  Altho the map may (to most) have excessive Z axis construction, care was
taken to keep the X and Y as tight as the architecture would allow.  In these dimensions, it is
tighter than several of the stock Epic maps.  Altho the textures provided with Unreal and UT are
a mark of true professionalism, there were many requirements they simply did not have.
Falkenstein was to be a white, shining castle with many unique features.  Thus, the included
CT5 texture set.  With the details, very little was spared for the sake of framerate...the motive
was realism.  Given this, you're going to need quite a fast machine to avoid a slide show.  Sorry,
I refuse to make "Room-tunnel-room" maps for the sake of cluster f**k fragging.  Altho I was able
to completely pathnode the map and place weapons all about, this map is mostly for looks.

With respect to testing UEd's build capabilities, its my opinion that UEd passed with flying
colors.  I draw this conclusion based on the fact that this map has over 30,000 polygons, excessive
use of semisolids (where semi's typically should not be used), and the resulting release build
has only one noticeable BSP error (see above)...which I'm sure could be alleviated if I was so
inclined.  The only real problem UEd had during construction was with non-solid lamps early in
construction.  I was, however, aware of this risk and, thus, I don't blame UEd too badly.

Two Regrets:
  First is the flames inside.  Falkenstein is of 19th century vintage and castle of this era seldom
used open flames throughout.  I had started with lamps (similar to the ones used in Shane's Gothic),
but the required non-solid construction necessary to allow the corona to bleed thru was causing
major BSP & collision errors.  Sadly, I was forced to return to flames.  My apologies.
  Second is my lack of ability to produce an appropriate music file.  Kink Ludwig was in love
with Wagners music...and only a small Wagner piece was in order.  I fooled around with mod tracker
and some other programs but was unable to come up with a fitting UMX.  Again, my apologies.

About the Title:
  Falkenstein was to be the fourth castle of (crazy) King Ludwig II of Bavaria.  Sadly
he died from an accidental drowning (yeah, right) before construction began.  His first three:
Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, and Herrenchiemsee, were constructed in the latter half of the 19th
century and still stand today.  All are open to tourism and, if you ever visit Germany, you
should not miss these milestones of human endeavor.  Inside and out, their beauty and display
of wealth are amazing beyond words.

Copyright / Permissions
-----------------------
This level is copyrighted by Robert A. Wey, 2000.  This copyright pertains only to the
redistribution of this map for commercial perposes, either intact or altered in any way, for
sale for money.

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic network (internet,
FIDO, local BBS etc.), provided you include this file and leave the archive
intact.

Other than that, this map and all the contents in the archive are free to use.

Authors MAY use this level as a base to build additional levels.
Authors MAY use the included textures.
Authors MAY use/modify the door script.

All I ask is that if you use any of the contents, please make mention of the original author.
Thanks.

----------------------
UNREAL (c)1998 Epic Megagames, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.  Distributed by
GT Interactive Software, Inc. under license.  UNREAL and the UNREAL logo are
registered trademarks of Epic Megagames, Inc. All other trademarks and trade
names are properties of their respective owners.
You just take an existing readme from a map you have, and remove everything and fill out as much or as little as you can. (it just took a few seconds to remove the unwanted text.

Code: Select all

Title                   :
Version                 :
Release Date            :
Filename                :
Author(s)               :
Email Address           :
Web Page                :http://
Description             :

Previous Maps		:

Special Thanks to       :

--- Play Information ---
Game                    :UnrealTournament
Level Name              :
Single Player           :Bot support
Cooperative             :
Deathmatch              :
Dark Match              :
Difficulty Settings     :
New Sounds              :
New Graphics            :
NewUnrealScript         :
External DLLs           :
Known bugs              :

--- Construction ---
Editor(s) used          :UEd2
Base                    :New Map from Scratch
Poly Count			:
Build Time			:
Editing Time            :

Installation
------------

Author's Notes
--------------

Copyright / Permissions
-----------------------
This level is copyrighted by *NAME*, *DATE*.  This copyright pertains only to the
redistribution of this map for commercial purposes, either intact or altered in any way, for
sale for money.

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic network (internet,
FIDO, local BBS etc.), provided you include this file and leave the archive
intact.

Other than that, this map and all the contents in the archive are free to use.

Authors MAY use this level as a base to build additional levels.
Authors MAY use the included textures.
Authors MAY use/modify the door script.

All I ask is that if you use any of the contents, please make mention of the original author.
Thanks.

----------------------
UNREAL (c)1998 Epic Megagames, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.  Distributed by
GT Interactive Software, Inc. under license.  UNREAL and the UNREAL logo are
registered trademarks of Epic Megagames, Inc. All other trademarks and trade
names are properties of their respective owners.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

There's definetly some good stuff writen here...
Basically I often mix-up when to ask for permission and when only crediting the original author is enough. Even a single texture or particle you used was made by someone, so naming the author or at least where you got it would be OK.
The way I see it: if you use a texture for your map, writing where you got it would be enough (unless there are some different copyrights stated). If you edit a map (or even that same texture) try to contact the author for permission (unless it's for private use only).
Correct me if I'm wrong... :wink:
cK1
Novice

Post by cK1 »

Lol, actually he made it even better... As a matter of fact, it has always been told who, how, what and where

Well, the idea to use that text field is good and even easier than my first idea.
So, that's all that's gonna be, no readmes, no permissions.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

cK1 wrote:
1- no
2- no
3- yes and no
4- maybe

I'll do it my way, I hope it's enough and it's all I can/will do.
Wrong !
Try it again.
cK1 wrote:So, that's all that's gonna be, no readmes, no permissions.
Wrong !! again!

Sorry, but every one in this Thread tried to explain it to you, but you remain stubborn.

You are the bluntest Troll I ever met in my life.
Or you really mean it ...then will you and your kind be responsible for the deathblow for UT.
Your behaviour is no benefit for this old game you will not keep it alive if you chase away the developer of new content.
But maybe this is meaningless for you ...there is enough out there where you can rip stuff from for your map, am I right?
:wth:

I say, your kind is not welcome here on this forum.

EDIT----------------------------------RE-OPEN by papercoffee

Ok cK1 ...try to explain it.
cK1
Novice

Post by cK1 »

My answers about these points may have been a bit blurry, so I'll explain a little bit:

1- no -> Because I don't do readmes.
2- no -> Because I'm not intending to publish maps for download, and so there will be no readmes.
3- yes and no -> Yes, I would state clearly I'm not the author. I know the most authors from the main files. I just didn't want to register in all other forum to investigate. But I would let a channel open for the author to complain with me.
4- maybe -> Because I don't use music or I do my own.

That said, I hope now things continue peacefully. I'll do what I can. My intention was never "steal" others work, just reuse good stuff and spread the good seeds.

cK
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

cK1 wrote:
My answers about these points may have been a bit blurry, so I'll explain a little bit:

1- no -> Because I don't do readmes.
2- no -> Because I'm not intending to publish maps for download, and so there will be no readmes.
3- yes and no -> Yes, I would state clearly I'm not the author. I know the most authors from the main files. I just didn't want to register in all other forum to investigate. But I would let a channel open for the author to complain with me.
4- maybe -> Because I don't use music or I do my own.

That said, I hope now things continue peacefully. I'll do what I can. My intention was never "steal" others work, just reuse good stuff and spread the good seeds.

cK
If this is the case, then everything is alright. However I can tell you, your post was A LOT misleading and I think everybody thought of you as a troll.
This late explanation could have avoided a lot of trouble. But whatever, there's no use crying over spilt milk.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You will also find, that as serious as we are, we are also equally helpful.
So should you ask here about the origin of something, you will find most people will try and find the info for you.
Should you decide that one of your maps is good enough to make a distro out of, I am also sure that someone who has played it and loves it, would also write you a readme.
Teamwork is just a matter of asking.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Come on, don`t beat a dead horse. "Pizzi" did not return anyway (at least not logged in) since then anymore. It is very unlikely that he`ll raise his voice against us ever again in this matter. And regarding "ck1", we just believe his words for the moment.
About to be non-active
cK1
Novice

Post by cK1 »

Dr.Flay wrote:You will also find, that as serious as we are, we are also equally helpful.
So should you ask here about the origin of something, you will find most people will try and find the info for you.
Should you decide that one of your maps is good enough to make a distro out of, I am also sure that someone who has played it and loves it, would also write you a readme.
Hi, it's good to know I can ask here. And in case a make a distro I would write the readme myself. Just not intending to make a distro for now.
Thanks anyway.

cK
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

But wait, Pizzi just uploading his maps to the ()mG server, he not published the modded maps...
Anyway and what about this? Okay but this not mapping... http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... opic&t=663
dU Members uploading every map what they found? Thats really joke... And no one ask me to upload here my BETA map...
A bit kiddy, WHOOOAAA how many maps what I can download from this site, yeah but useless...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The discussion was finished ...why did you reanimate it?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:The discussion was finished ...why did you reanimate it?
I'm guessing he did because somebody forgot to lock it.

Which is odd, as I remember someone had.

FINAL NOTE: Anyone may use my files if they can find them. I will offer no clues as to their location though.

:loool:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758