The quite infamos "I came back"

Discussions about everything else
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

The quite infamos "I came back"

Post by Myth »

We all observed that many players are coming back to play UT. They all said that one day they remembered about this game and all those hours spent on trying to master it.

But why UT99 ? There are thousands of FPSs. Heck, If i'd put my ass down and start working for 6 months straight even I could make an online FPS.
There are some whit far better graphics/visuals. Or FPSs where you fight 100 players at once. Or who knows what ?

Well I think that gaming industry is starting to rot. Especially for tha PC. Face it. The gaming days for PC are numberred. After about 10 years there will barely be 1 or 2 full scale new games for the PC. Every major company is starting, started to move to consoles. Well it's logical. PCs were made to be 'workstations' not 'playstations'.
But gaming industry whit or whitout PC is starting to rot. All the companies are focusing on eye-candy and graphics overloading your PC's cpu/gpu thus forcing you to buy a never OS, and hardware. Gameplay has been neglected. I mean there are at least 500 of FPSs. What's the difference between having another one made ? Yer different story and stuff, but does it matter ?

I mean since when did you see a new cool gametype ? FPS, RTS, MMO, etc. were made before and are being sorta like mixed between instead of making something completely new.
Well just compare the sensation/feeling you had when you first played UT3 (or another FPS that you played around (2004-2008)) for the first time and when you played Tetris for the first time. Yes I know it's a completely different game but still.

Well I think this is the main reason for people returning to this game. UT 99 is made of gameplay + community + simplicity Instead of graphics + effects + realism.
Better and better graphics are made just so that games will be more 'realistic'. But I think a game has to be a game not a simulator. And a simulator is not a game.

Edit: When I wrote the thing about tetris and a new game I didn't mean that tetris is better or more fun than for example UT3. I meant that how cool and new and awesome it was when it was released. So if you don't have a decent gaming experience you can't understand that. I just thought about writing this note to avoid posts like tetris sux and (another game) rox
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Re: The quite infamos "I came back"

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

UT3/GoW will remain for those who want actually get a job in a game developing industry. UT3 will never become a game for a casual gamers / mappers since it is so hard to modify game / make levels and it is hard to play in such environments, it way too annoying to play in such detailed location where you cannot even see your enemy.

Oh dear, what times .... :roll:
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:...such detailed location where you cannot even see your enemy.
lol, soo true :roll:, especially if you only have an average of 20 fps
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

what I want to know is what happened to virtual reality.. the next and final step int o real fps games :(

UT99 for life man I agree the new ut you cant find anyone its just a bunch overly large maps
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Myth wrote:
--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:...such detailed location where you cannot even see your enemy.
lol, soo true :roll:, especially if you only have an average of 20 fps
I guess it depends a little bit from your pc too, don`t you think that? :tongue:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

20 fps part yes, but I have a strage habit of stopping in the middle of a match and admire the surroundings :roll:
and 20 fps is the avreage. On some maps I get 35-40 easily, but on some more larger vCTF ones I don't even get 20, and 20 fps is a still playable fps IMHO