Shootmania

Discussions about everything else
UT99.org

Shootmania

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Looks a lot like UT doesn't it? Futuristic instagib team game, I hear it has rockets too? http://www.shootmania.com no release date yet but expected to be some time in 2012. Already a bunch of online tournaments with beta testers on ipgn and IPL5 is around the corner
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Shootmania

Post by papercoffee »

:shock: :shock: :shock: 8) :shock: :shock:

[youtube]?v=R6EsARZB11g[/youtube]
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

It's from the same guys who did trackmania, so it's bound to be awesome. But there's just 2 things I didn't like:
1 - No gore, people become just dust... I understand why they did it (and no, it has not to do with "futuristic weapons" alone, they want to try to have kids playing this legally);
2 - The players look like they came out directly from Tron........

So I won't probably try it out. But it seems like a good job though, specially the customization part.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:It's a dumbed down version of UT that is designed to draw in even more people. and I feel like they copied UT. The reason I think for the low gore is this game has all the makings of a game that is going to be extremely hard pushed by esports competitions and teams. Once an avid fanbase is there this game will be around for years. Competitions daily for atleast a year, lots of money involved.

A huge shame that this could have been a new UT. Only the UT games are far, far superior. But watch any replay you immediately get the sense of a UT game the main difference being no powerup timing and instead a stupid counter-strike type elimination mode with no objective but to kill the other team. We can only pray to Epic I guess
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Epic stopped giving a damn about UT once they got their mouths full of UDK and GoW. I don't believe they will do something about it, I think UT is dead for good as far as Epic is concerned, since they don't really care anymore (the fact that they don't have a UT1 section or even sub-section in their forums clearly states that message, ironically they are still profiting from this old game).
If they cared anyhow about UT, they could have made a playable UT from your browser by now, making some sort of UT-live.
For now, we're just lucky they keep the master servers up...

So any attempt from any other studio to bring some sort of "UT" back is actually welcome, although yeah, this one is making an attempt at it, but seems mostly a washed down experience of it.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:So any attempt from any other studio to bring some sort of "UT" back is actually welcome
Hmmmmm ....now I think I did see something similar to UT...but can't remember what it was. It was definitely a UT like game ...damn have to search it.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Feralidragon wrote:It's from the same guys who did trackmania, so it's bound to be awesome. But there's just 2 things I didn't like:
1 - No gore, people become just dust...
There's a mutator for UT, called Disintegration, that does the same thing. When you get instagibbed it dissolves you into light particles. True, no gore but in some cases it doesn't take as much memory as the gore did...

...yes, I've had it for years, long back when my old computers weren't as fast as my current one.

Also, it's pretty!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

In my opinion, the only project that will have true UT feel, is Chaos.
No way in hell will the next Chaos be without blood and gore, or crazy futuristic weapons.

Chaos is also in the early stages, so anyone who wants to add suggestions and ideas, can visit the forum and have their say.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Chaos ??
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Chaos (the Quake and UT mod), is about to grow-up and become a stand-alone game.
Chaos gave us the first version of many things we now take for granted.

Chaos gave us real melee combat with blades.
Chaos gave us Relics.
Chaos gave us the grappling-hook.
Chaos gave us bouncy and rocket propelled rifle ammo.
Chaos gave us mines, with the cute proxies of death.
Chaos gave us turrets.
Chaos gave us gravity-vortexes
Chaos even gave us the hover-board !
Chaos gave us Chaos.

Chaos gave us a massive blood-lust, for crazy shit in our Unreal Universe.

Chaos is the natural successor for UT.

I also think it may be something Ferali could add value and ideas to the project, and would be a natural arena for NW4 :wink:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Oh you did refer to caos-UT ...Wait it will become a standalone game????
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hell-yeah, like I said, It's time for Chaos to grow-up :D
OctaForge Chaos http://www.forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewforum.php?f=40

Still early days as the crew is small.
It is a custom engine being built for Chaos, so any ideas for physics or game-modes, weapons, vehicles etc. are welcome.
I was asked to go and give my suggestions, and so I spilled my brain into the thread "What I would like to see.."
http://www.forums.chaoticdreams.org/vie ... =40&t=6537

Anyone looking to do something Unreal should have a look, and have their say.
It can be the game WE want, right from the day of release.

A sleeping giant is slowly waking-up.
Grab a pointy stick, and join Hermskii and me as we poke some life back into the beast :rock:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Custom engine? Why don't they use UDK given their wide experience with UEngine already? I am sure whatever engine they're using it's technologically inferior to UDK (I am yet to see a better engine with so many features, platforms support and optimized even to "low" end PCs).
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

I agree, it does seem odd, but they seem to have a plan.
It may be an idea to get them to post a comparison chart.
There is more info on the OctaForge engine here http://octaforge.org
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Just checked the OctaForge page, and for some reason I cannot find a list with everything that engine is capable off, and the screens aren't that impressive either.
I still keep my stand: they should use UDK and not spending years in reinventing the wheel (by the time they finish a "usable" engine, the UE4 will be already available as UDK too and will pretty much smite any engine available).