Shootmania

Discussions about everything else
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Shootmania

Post by Dr.Flay »

I totally agree, but I guess the point of OctaForge is that it is Open-source (yes I know there are also other Open source game-engines).

Personally I would have opted for the UDK, as it would allow access to a huge library of existing UEd resources.
I left a post at the Chaos forum, asking for some clarification/comparison.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, that reminds me of the old Open Office vs MS Office debates. Which one is better? MS Office is light-years ahead and better than Open Office or any other open source "office".
Now, MS Office is expensive, however as far as productivity goes (which is what matters the most) any open source Office will turn out to be much more expensive than a MS Office license, since users will have a hard time to do simple things in the open source one while in the closed one everything can be done in mere seconds.
Plus, if there's a critical bug, with MS Office you can report and get it fixed asap (as they are obligated to), and many times there are easy turn arounds, with open source solutions it may take months or even years to fix a simple bug, and the only ways to fix them are generally to actually dissect their xml and fix things internally yourself (and I know it, been there before, it wasn't fun).

The same applies with UDK vs any open source engine available, but UDK is even better because if you keep things free, it's free to use, if you sell, you only need to pay a first small license and then royalties once you hit 50.000$ in sells. The amount of things that can be done with UDK is absurd, plus there's already a huge community around it, tons of free projects, tons of sold projects too, fairly good documentation and active development, and the best of all: if you know UE1 or UE2, you know UE3/UDK just as good (with just a few differences, but nothing radical).
By doing a game in that open source engine, here's what's going to happen: they will take more time to finish it, it will be an inferior and limited product graphically and probably in other fields, and by the time they release it, it's going to have tons of bugs, not related to the game, but mostly with the engine (this engine is being developed for about a year.... UE4 took almost an entire decade and it's not even released yet).

Open source is only good if it's as productive at least compared to closed source. A good example of this is Blender, it's just awesome and is on par with 3D Studio, Maya and other paid and closed 3D modelers, and has already native plugins to export to UDK. In the case of Blender, it's worth to invest time in learning it and using it.
The same cannot be said for instance for office and game engines imo.

By the way, I am an adept of open source and free to use stuff, but there are things which just aren't good enough even being open source.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:this game is in open beta at the moment until release on 10 april. unfortunately only the europe servers work from what i can tell. but you can get 10% off if you preorder now.

The map editor looks easier than ever. Here is a remake of DM-Morpheus
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

looks pretty cool :D

closest thing Ive seen to UT is XONOTIC , has dodging and everything.. only player skins look a bit nasty..and player seems to bounce rather then run everywhere for memory.
but is definitely an upgrade. as well as free.

[youtube]9Zsp1ahGgWE[/youtube]
[youtube]h6z3rGsoKdQ[/youtube]

also has InstaGib and CTF.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wow Xonotic got bigger... Is this now a new engine or still the Quake based?
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

History
Xonotic is a direct successor of the Nexuiz project. It represents years of development from its humble beginnings as a Quake 1 engine modification, and now aims to be the best possible open source first person shooter available. It could be considered most similar to Unreal Tournament and Quake at its heart, especially regarding teamplay and game mechanics.

sorry for hijacking thread billybob.. perhaps u xan split this off to its own thread paper?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:I do not like my moves in this game.
I do not like to the visibility.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:to be honest both xenotic and shootmania storm look absolute crap. there is only one UT. however, I am following the money. With competitive gaming, this follows where UT4 would've headed, only it's going to get the right marketing. lots of tournaments money and players. sad to say the real ut99 morpheus craps all over what the game capabilities of this one is and I could post numerous videos. However, good to see a free for all mode now, I thought it was going to be all teams
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

1. Are you trying to moon walk?/Cap. Falcon: Show me your moves!
2. There are no powerups, specially not a Botpack.UT_Invisibility.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Creavion wrote:
1. Are you trying to moon walk?/Cap. Falcon: Show me your moves!
2. There are no powerups, specially not a Botpack.UT_Invisibility.
Haha nice try Crev ...

But I have to say the visible effects of Shootmania compared to Xonotic are ...well ...suboptimal ...only the terrain looks interesting and the building blocks like Editor (but they have to implement more elements).
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Wises wrote:looks pretty cool :D

closest thing Ive seen to UT is XONOTIC , has dodging and everything.. only player skins look a bit nasty..and player seems to bounce rather then run everywhere for memory.
but is definitely an upgrade. as well as free.

also has InstaGib and CTF.
I don't care for the dodging part, I play with dodging off all the time there are a couple maps I play terribly. Instagib, hell yes, even if not quite instant like the UT version. There's probably some luck involved but simple, don't make mistakes that lead to you being an easier target. I heard it has a shockrifle mutator which is a bit copy-catish. What's the gun called? or is it fan-made and only on some servers? Weapon stealing or not if we were under threat from another planet I would only hope we can fight with weapons like this and not simply nukes and rockets, or maybe the rockets would be fun too ;)

I would check Xonotic out for a bit of fun but it's not doing anything competitively for me. The phsysics look a bit quakeish and this is the best part about UT the physics and the way the weapons and projectiles interact with each-other, players and the environment

But seriously the amount of money involved in e-sports tournaments these days is really something
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

xonotic is pretty good bro. yes its based on the quake engine so yes very 'quake-like'..
the graphics in terms if maps and such are considerably better.. but like I said the bouncing around like a rabbit and poorly designed/animated player skins lets it down.. imo of course.. others may like this kind of thing.

a lot of the ut umm characteristics have been ported over not sure about shock-rifle.. cant remember lol.

re: money in gaming .. how do we do this lol. Games have always been the 'Consumers of money.. and time' , in fact I don't personally know a single sole that actually makes any money off games in general.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:OK for example http://sc2earnings.com/?limit=200 . That is tournament results. Their teams pay them a salary, a place to live and practice, get them to events, get them free energy drinks computer accessories depending on who sponsors the team. Lets not forget the advertising revenue of streaming on twitch.tv, consoles are now going to have streaming abilities out of the box. UT had it's tournaments as well, those players are now legends to pro players of UT but because unlike starcraft 1, halo, and free games like league of legends, it was dropped from tournaments as the new ones came out and the new ones got more and more ridiculous.

Shootmania storm won't die quickly, from the look of it a lot of major tournaments will feature it and maybe for a long time, no doubt it will get built upon and something better will comes out to replace it. I'm only going by what I've seen. Back when UT came out there werent many e-sports events, people had to download the replays instead of watching the event live. The popularity has since surged to equal real sports and even mass spectator events at the venue and online. Now everyone has a fast computer and fast internet, new keyboards and mice are flawless, monitors are cheap and big. It will only get bigger
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I just tried Shootmania to see what was all that about. Started to play a "Royal" which seems something like UT's LMS, and it was rather fun (ended up in second in a server with some players which already played for a while, which was nice), then played "Joust" which is kinda KOTH (played some games, won the first 3 and lost 1).
Basically your weapons change depending on where you are: if you're in a building, you get some sort of flak slug, if you're in a closed yet exposed camping spot, you get an instagib, everywhere else you get something like a particles rocket.

It avoids spawn kills rather nicely, and to avoid "farming" points from newbies, they give 0 points, and they only start to give out points once the game stops considering them newbies. It has some nice game concepts which tackle the problems of most FPS games directly.
However, because it's so basic and limited, it gets boring rather quickly, and there aren't many players in the servers yet.
One thing I didn't understand yet: there are 2 versions of Shootmania Storm or something, a free to play and a paid one? Just like Trackmania? Or is Storm paid and this beta is just an "overview" of the final product?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I think there won't be free to play, the game will have a price like UT. I don't even think there will be a demo version. Thanks for the overview though :) Like I was saying try it while you still can people of Europe. Closed beta players have already had a couple tournaments in the US very lucky. Although only team games from the look of the VODs, which resembles counter strike in the way you eliminate the other teams and then have the wait it out when you die for rest of the match