N.B.F.O. - A game concept I made...

Discussions about everything else
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

N.B.F.O. - A game concept I made...

Post by papercoffee »

N.B.F.O. - A game concept I made for iPhone and iPad, but it was never released. :(
I just want to show you what I also did in the past years :mrgreen:

Start menu:

Game play:

Buy menu

This GIF will show how flexible the ship configuration is ...you buy a weapon and can see it on your ship. You decide how it will look like and how the weaponry is.

Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Re: N.B.F.O. - A game concept I made...

Post by Torax »

Looks interesting)
I'm back in some kind of nostalgia about 90s)

Why it not released?
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

because the company changed the business model
...from "fun and useful for all" to "serious business tools for companies".
You see there was not enough space left for games. ;)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Adapt it to freeware!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

I really like the spaceship customization paper!
Good job
KeeperUTX
Skilled
Personal rank: Eevee will kill you.

Post by KeeperUTX »

A fully customizable ship? Nice!

Reminds me of Armored Core, you can build any kind of AC - a tank that punches things to death with a laserblade, a four-legger with weapon arms, a "fat-ass AC" with bazookas and chainguns... anything.

I would've loved this for the Android system, a game where you can play in a shoot-'em-up enviroment AND configure your ship.
Image This is Eevee, a ferocious creature that never relents in tracking its meal. It will lead you to ruin, and when it does, it will finish you.
The way it bobs its head lefty-righty? It's just cracking it's neck so it can get a better grip on you with its jaws.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

I really love the style ;) sadly its never released...
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Try coding it yourself (java/eclipse)? I think Android is easier to learn. Or get someone to code it for you?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Metalfist wrote:Try coding it yourself (java/eclipse)? I think Android is easier to learn. Or get someone to code it for you?
Not wanting to be the pessimistic, but Android is hard. Not the language itself (since it's java), but Android is so fragmented and so badly documented in so many versions with so much different bs that is not even funny, hence why UDK is not officially supported in Android yet. The documentation is unreliable as it could be. Google did some great stuff, but Android by itself isn't really one of their best achievements in technical terms (even if numbers suggest otherwise).
I know this, not because I code on it (because I don't), but this is the feedback I get from professional programmers with Android expertise since I have to work directly with them (since I provide the web APIs to them, and they provide the Android applications).

On a last note: this concept looks interesting, however I must say that I already saw this same concept and a similar game already made in flash, but with more weapons, features and whatnot, still this has some potential.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

hm yeah I meant java then. Android's fragmentation is a pain in the ass indeed, the Iphone is better on that matter.
Yeah a flash version could also be doable.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: On a last note: this concept looks interesting, however I must say that I already saw this same concept and a similar game already made in flash, but with more weapons, features and whatnot, still this has some potential.
The concept is not new... but has also a little twist.
Except for the two drone types do the enemy ship try to avoid your attack ...regarding on their rank and armor do they try to go into a dogfight.
enemies.png
From left to right:

Drones: straight forward no AI ...only a centipede like formation.
Stinger: also no AI, they shoot and try to go in kamikaze mode and ram you.
Defender: mass-produced fighter who try to avoid your shots but are too stupid to fly faster away.
Berserker: A huge flying gun ...slower than a Defender but comes never alone ...you have to shoot them down before they can fire.
Hunter: A cunning dogfight hungry pilot is flying this craft. He will avoid many shots but wants also land a hit on you ...here is the chance to get him.
Phalanx: Much slower than a Hunter but ...his "arguments" are overwhelming. Like the Berserker is this enemy a team player.
Battle-Ship: This enemy will turn his weapons at you and try to get you in a cross fire ...very strong and durable, should the Battle-ship always be the first target for you or you getting into huge trouble.

drones and pickups.png
Here the Drones you can purchase for yourself they fly behind you and behave like a snake tail.
The pick-ups are available on the extra button if you picked them up :ironic: but only for a short time.

from left to right...
Amplifier (like U-damage), Extra Shield, Smart Bomb (cleans the screen from small enemies and projectiles) and Regeneration or Repair (You still can be damaged but it will fill up your shield again)

Well, yes I really want to make this game but I still do lack the knowledge of coding ...and I don't know any free and good game-maker tools, like the game maker :confused2:
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

Looks really nice! Wish I could draw like that :)

Flash could be a well-beaten path for coding it on PC, there's a lot of tutorials out there and I'm sure you'd find plenty of examples for a traditional shooter. Doing the art would be the most difficult thing but it looks like you have that already well covered ;)
Otherwise you could jump to 3D and make it in UDK :D (which is supported on iPhones). Since you have the concept art doing 3D models shouldn't take long. For code one of the example projects for UDK (Whizzle) is not really a shooter but has similar movement, and its whole code is explained in detail in the attached tutorial.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

I don't know a lot about programming (studied Pascal C++ C#Java and some AS) but I'd go with ActionScript
I think you should spend time on this making a Flash game
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I have already done a game in Flash/ActionScript.
The thing about Flash is that it sucks performance-wise, it's like trying to run a seemly simple game with the performance of Crysis and the crashes of Windows Millenium, and that's also something HTML5 is trying to cover.
However, it's indeed a widely used platform for online games, specially 2D ones, and has pretty nice features, so as a start off it may be your best option, and then you could upload it to websites like Newgrounds to get some solid criticism (which is like the ModDB of flash games).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

btw. what do think now about the concept?