Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Some forum mods to assist with house keeping

Post by Wises »

Anti-Double-Post

Precise Similar 2

Mobile Forums

and another I think not yet made mod for the necro_bumping thing perhaps something like this;

if num_days_since_last_post > 14_days then alert_user only to post something useful , allow post.

if num_days_since_last_post < 90_days then alert_user only to post something useful , do not post to main forum page , achive post into Necro_threads forum and update necro_threads main page with notification.

if num_days_since_last_post > 90 then alert_user and close_topic and move to necro_threads forum without update.

ok what these small mods can do effectively is move the chore of admining from Paper so that the poor fella can do more constructive things like Play Unreal
or Drink with the boys or enjoy a game of chess.

People who inadvertantly attempt to make posts are immdeiately kautioned and will think thrice about posting.

people will not be able to double-post , therefore filling that gap.

and no one can blame 'anyone' for unfair kautions and or.. make I'm sorry posts etc because they would'nt need to?

just my oppinion but thats how I always roll.. on all my previous forums I used to have very simple rules : R.O.C.S

these were the "Rules Of Common Sense" .. I can honestly say that only 1-2 people out of 100+ actually breached these rules and were sent to the BadBoys room.

yer.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Some forum mods to assist with house keeping

Post by EvilGrins »

When i saw the subject line i thought you might be asking the mods to come over to your place and clean your house.

Working the graveyard shift, wired on coffee. Image

Whee.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

EvilGrins wrote:When i saw the subject line i thought you might be asking the mods to come over to your place and clean your house.

Whee.
Looks Around ... Thats not a bad idea actually *Grins*
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

I actaully proposed that before, but eventually it's up to shade (as he is the owner of this place) and he is often not around.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

num_days_since_last_post > 90 then alert_user and close_topic and move to necro_threads forum without update.
I don't see why. If there is an unclosed question or something else, why shouldn't I post what I know/help in some way?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Metalfist wrote:[...]but eventually it's up to shade (as he is the owner of this place) and he is often not around.
^ This.
None of us admins/mods can do anything on that level, only Shade can (the actually owner of the forum).
Plus, I would rather do my own mods for the forum, than use public ones. As a PHP developer myself, I don't trust in most "mods" or known frameworks, as they're many times full of basic security holes, performance bottlenecks and whatnot (in short, adding mods to a forum can make it vulnerable and slower).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

And btw. would this make us staff member unemployed ...what should I do with all that free time .....

:mrgreen:
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

Feralidragon wrote:
Metalfist wrote:[...]but eventually it's up to shade (as he is the owner of this place) and he is often not around.
^ This.
None of us admins/mods can do anything on that level, only Shade can (the actually owner of the forum).
Plus, I would rather do my own mods for the forum, than use public ones. As a PHP developer myself, I don't trust in most "mods" or known frameworks, as they're many times full of basic security holes, performance bottlenecks and whatnot (in short, adding mods to a forum can make it vulnerable and slower).
Alrighty then , lets give Shade a Ring and get the ball rolling.. you got his number bro?

@Paper .. a Whole lot more constructive things bro like actually getting some of your own UT Projects completed in 1/10th of the time you are probably doing them at present.

I mean Honestly..

[youtube]I2LybfZj5cQ[/youtube]

^Not really an ideal job .. is it bro?

I'll give Shade a Buzz..
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:And btw. would this make us staff member unemployed ...what should I do with all that free time .....
:mrgreen:
Clean Wises house?
Wises wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:When i saw the subject line i thought you might be asking the mods to come over to your place and clean your house.
Whee.
Looks Around ... Thats not a bad idea actually *Grins*
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

Atm .. Ive got this chap helping me out around the house;

But I do need someone to do the dishes on the odd occasion.

Open to offers :)
Cronoloop wrote:
num_days_since_last_post > 90 then alert_user and close_topic and move to necro_threads forum without update.
I don't see why. If there is an unclosed question or something else, why shouldn't I post what I know/help in some way?
absolutely mate :).. i was kinda reading between the lines of the general forum etiquette .. which seems to be ... meh.. look at the date!.. fk the content .. this shizz is 1940's... locked/closed move on folks .. nothing to see here.. kinda feeling.. and not just from this board but most of them across the web.

personally like you.. i will/have/and still do.. revive posts from the 40's .. why ? because it is imo still very relative to todays use.. ut99 13? years old.. man i bet theres unanswered posts relevant to even today's users.. that are hidden beneath bedrock somewhere from the early 90's that are begging to be found in forums like these.

let me tell you now.. if I find such a post.. I will be the first to forefront it :) +BUMP it like a Pinball Machine at the local ice-cream parlor.

I personally dislike it when i search the web for some solution to a problem i have.. and i find a forum / relative to my situation and begin reading.. then suddenly.. right at the last post.. which is highly relevant to the question i was trying to find the answer to and BAM!... TEH MOD...Storms in, chastises the user, locks the thread, and totally screws the solution.. which assuredly was the next consecutive post in sequence.

always happens.. it seems to be a ninties trend all round tbh.. this generation is all about the now , and fk the past .. it's history AFATC {As far As They're Concerned } I see if with Music for example.. I pull out some oldies which sound as good today as they did 10years ago.. and the kids come in and chuck on the latest stuff.. I'm like that's a pretty cool song.. , they're like your songs suck!.. So0o old.. I mean what!.. since when did the age of the song make it sound less better then today?.. quick reply; you like that 'One Direction' gayboyfagshit? do ya!!.. gets all offensive .. as we do when criticised.. Well maybe you should know that the song I'am/was listening to was the original "singer' to your 'so called' New Sounds.. Ooooh Right.... Yes. That's 'This Generation for you' live for the moment and not interested in the past..

back on track however .. forums are dying IMO because people feel restricted and uneasy about posting new content into old posts or at all in fear of rebuke (I think).. kinda losing that "Freedom of speech" aspect to it this InterWeb.. Someone sez something.. The very next post is an irrelevant scolding .. ok for what ever reason that person decides that they're not welcome .. and surfs off with hard-feelings.. over what ?.. some pathetic 90's rule dreamed up by the 13year old kid down the road?. idk.

feels a song coming on;

[youtube]6lg51dzWHJE[/youtube]

^Iam sure we've all experienced this in fact..

which why we're probably all members of 27 (random number) other boards all across the globe.. and only posting.. what we feel is relevant into each individual entity out of .. fear of ... rebuke/scolding and don't want to be a victim of New Word coming up.. InterScolding meh! def:(being flamed for no obvious reason for expressing ones opinion online)

anyway .. ever wake up one day and wonder why the forums dead.. this is highly likely one of the attributes which has effected this 'Deadness' imo of course..

see sig for enlightenment..

as for code;

I don't think that we need it either.. TBH.. ;)