Some for your judgement =)

Discussions about everything else
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Some for your judgement =)

Post by Torax »

My first work in MilkShape 3D. Finished for after two days.
Texture is glitchy and model is easier then must be...but it's all a question of time and practice :roll:

Got to remake it, retexture and animate

And can somebody tell me what poly count is the most compatible for UT? I heard or saw somewhere that is maximum is 2000 polygons...but better to have lower count
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Some for your judgement =)

Post by Feralidragon »

It looks nice for your first work. :)
As for poly limit, there isn't one per say, however yeah, setting a self cap to around 2.000 polys is best, however at 2.000 things may start to get laggy already (my models have 1.200 to 2.000 polys, and I already have to adjust their LOD in realtime so they don't lag).
So, the lower the amount of polys, the better.

In newer engines this is not much of a problem since the models are totally rendered in the GPU, but in UT we're stuck with low poly stuff.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Thanks:) currently i'm recreating it with more details and smoothness, to make it more realistic. but what do you mean when say 'adjust LOD in realtime' ?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

LOD is Level Of Detail, and is the "dirty" secret of every game to keep the game going with high framerates even in high-settings.
Basically, LOD defines how much detail you are seeing from a model, thus lower detail will start rendering less polys from a model and higher LOD will render more (up to the original amount of polys the model has).

In UT, the LOD varies with distance: the farthest you are from a model, the less detailed it will be. Of course you don't notice this, since if you are farther, there are less pixels to render it, so you don't see much of a difference.
In my mod whoever, I had to implement a check for framerate drops, and lower or higher my weapon models detail accordingly, since my models have so many polys, that trusting in the engine to drop their detail results in performance degradation, or in other words, I higher or lower their LOD accordingly to keep the framerate consistent in real time.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

This ability can be extremely useful for usage of HD models and/or textures...g want take a look at it. As i understand source can be found in NW3 Core?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yes. As an example, you can see it in the NaliWeapons class, in the Tick function, it keeps updating the LODBias by calling the static function getFrameRateBasedLODBias from the class NWUtils.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Torax wrote:My first work in MilkShape 3D. Finished for after two days.
Texture is glitchy and model is easier then must be...but it's all a question of time and practice :roll:
For the textures there is a way better way. Its called "Lith Unwrap". You can make a proper UV map for your model and create a way better texture for it then Milkshape can offer.

As for your first weapon... looks pretty nice, if you ever saw mine, this was pretty detailed :tu:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Thanks:) i'm currently learning stuff about LithUnwrap, but progress is slow because i didnt find detailed tutorials yet... As for model - currently i'm working over more interesting thing ;) i will post my results when it will be done so keep an eye on it ^^