what program to use to create a video?

Discussions about everything else
Rakiayn
Masterful

what program to use to create a video?

Post by Rakiayn »

the last couple of months I have been working on a project in java.
it is an evolution simulator. there are these creatures in a 2d world that have to survive by hunting for food.
they have dna and can evolve too. the simulations are almost done and I recorded the simulations with fraps.
I want to put it together now to create a video for youtube. so my question is are there any programs out there that are similar to windows movie maker but better?
the biggest problem with windows movie makers is that I can not speed up the individual clips.
I dont mind paying for it as long as it is not to expensive.
I know some of you make videos your self. so what do you use what do you suggest?
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Re: what program to use to create a video?

Post by Acid.OMG »

Vegas pro is really intuitive. Thats what I use
[/Awesome]
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Another program aimed at the semi-pro market is "Pinnacle Studio".
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... +trial.htm
Intuitive and easy to use, just like Vegas, but as it is the little-brother to the industry standard "AVID" (horrible to use), they ask a much more sensible price, that normal people can afford :D
I find it very quick to use and preview effects etc. even on an older PC (I have version 14)

Many users of Nero (since v6), are unaware of the capability of Nero Video. I have used it many times over the years, as some times it is more suitable for a simple editing project.
http://www.nero.com/eng/products/nero-video/
No longer called Nero Video Express, and available as a standalone program, at an outstanding price, and more powerful than the old version I have.
Also available as a trial, so you can easily compare all 3 and see what suits your needs.

I am going to make a separate warning/guide to what people should know about, when you install a multimedia suite like these.
What it does to Windows, and how and why you should change it.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:thread title should be conversation or editing since you already have the videos? What format does fraps record to maybe we can help with the editing. tried VirtualDub?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

http://www.avs4you.com

Cheap.. does everything you want and some

Bin using it commercially for years.

Looks like its on special atm also.

70% off for July
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Wow. you need an impressive PC just to run any of the AVS software.
Minimum spec for their editing software is 2GB RAM and a 3GHz 64bit CPU
I remember trying their video and audio converters years ago, but ditching them in favour of less bloated software.
Just checked the requirements for their media player. I would still be laughing if it were a joke !
Someone should tell them about Winamp or VLC which do even more for free.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

ahh lol. Did'nt see that..
Like i said been using it for years.. no problems.
I like it because its fast / featurefilled / and simple to use.
Besides i would think that most video editing / capturing suites would require fairly descent specs?

We used to use premiere but that is just overkill.

m.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing-software-9-top-programs-you-should-download-1136264

^ some alternatives. Free ones
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Yeah last time I tried to install Premier, I could not. It required 16 GB of free space just to install !
That's when I discovered Pinnacle Studio.
It was installed on a PC with a 1.8GHz 32bit Athlon and 512 MB RAM and worked very well.

Almost anything is smaller and faster than Premier. I always felt that Premier put too much effort into looking the part, without actually doing its job.

There is no reason for a package to require a higher spec, to do the same job as another.
Only sloppy programming with "off-the-peg" bolt together coding, and no optimisation and huge spaces in the code that should be removed, create a higher requirement for the same job.

I think we should have gone the free route with our suggestions, to start with :D
Just checking through that link (I think the page was made for blind people. I just had to scale the page to 50%).
That "Lightworks" looks the most promising even though it seems to rely on Quicktime for some functions, and the free version is crippled.

DL'd Nero Video 12 last night, and I intend to give it a test later.
I doubt it will be as powerful as Pinnacle or Premier, but at £25/£30 it is a bargain.
Minimum Specs: (XP) 512MB RAM, (Vista+) 1GB RAM, 2GHz CPU, 128MB GFX card