Forum Like This?

Discussions about everything else
ASLY

Forum Like This?

Post by ASLY »

I can make a forum like this, where I can post my ideas, stuffs, and tutorials?
Wormbo
Adept

Re: Forum Like This?

Post by Wormbo »

I'm pretty sure if you make a separate forum to post your ideas, that will be a very efficient way to have them ignored. It's rare that someone who can do what you envision doesn't already have anything to do.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Thats what I really hate, thats not the answer to my question
Why not possible answer withot critical?
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

For stuff like that, a blog would be more useful.

For my forum I use http://www.freeforums.org/.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Well, I thought I'd share my idea... (only if you seem to like it.)

I thought making a new forum is pretty nut because there are so many forum out there, not many people want to sign up on all of them. So instead, I asked Hook to have my own little section there so I don't have to worry about complicated forum set up and such.

Just my 2 cent.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

The link in my signature is for such a place as that, a formerly fully open community I ran on livejournal before I even knew there were UT/Unreal forums like this one. Nowadays I largely use it for my own stuff but all of the formerly posting members, and there weren't many to begin with, have pretty much stopped posting and barely respond to anything new.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The "Your Unreal" group site was setup specifically to cater for anyone who wants to to create full-page articles, tutorials, galleries, or links and resource pages, or even just use it for file and image hosting with sensible URLs.

At no point have I felt like switching on the forum (I am aware of the extra aggravation and responsibility).
Even though the scope of "Your Unreal" is wider than most (including all U-engine product), I feel it is better to direct people to a site like this for work and help.

I suspect you do not require a forum anyway, but just require a blog style site as people have suggested.
We all end up recommending different services, but I will tell you why I chose mine.

MyOpera is cleaner than most and as a broader international membership.
They have an existing business and do not require advertising revenue from bloggers. Any users found using their site for commercial purposes, have their accounts immediately blocked.
It is one of the simplest blogs to edit, as it does not have the functionality of sites like Wordpress.
You can replace the site CSS with your own custom code.
:arrow: You can ask GEx how easy he found creating his first page for the site (I think he even used his phone 8) ).

An Opera account also allows you access to all Opera services, like PC and phone browser synchronisation.
You get an email address based on your user name. Because Opera have a Jabber server, this email address will allow you to connect to a more secure IM network.
Worth noting is the fact that Opera are based in Oslo, which has the benefit that your email does not sit on American territory :wink:
Users can create their own groups and enable forums if they so desire.

Wordpress is at the opposite end of bogging, as WP has grown into a full-fledged site-builder.
It takes longer to create and edit pages, but you can do far more stuff. If you host it yourself, you can add loads of extra plugins.
WP will give you much more to play with, but take longer to do.
WP give you more storage than Opera, and has less restrictions on file-types.
The URL style of Wordpress allows you to use webmaster tools such as proper registration with Google, Bing etc.
To do the same for an Opera site, requires registering a domain, as the URLs are made the opposite way round.

My personal site is probably a good example, as I have exported it to my WP site so I can make comparisons.
My WP site has more potential and is "cooler", but my Opera site is a joy to edit in comparison.
http://my.opera.com/dr-flay
http://drflay.wordpress.com