Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

UT3 on your Web Browser!

Post by Spectra »

This is COOL!!

[youtube]wRbJXeRlwdQ[/youtube]

http://www.1up.com/news/unreal-engine-3 ... wser-flash

Epic Games was able to combine the Unreal 3 Engine with Flash to make this possible.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: UT3 on your Web Browser!

Post by Feralidragon »

Yeah, they did it about 2 years ago if I am not mistaken (it's old news actually).
The problem with that though: flash :\
Their heavy usage of flash in UDK kinda pulled me off from using it as well, to not mention the issues it causes since Adobe keeps messing it up.
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Yep, that flash thing is a real turn-down. Not the play-in-browser part, but the build-your-GUI-with-flash part. The engine already had two script languages (UnrealScript and Kismet) that needed to interact with things. Then Scaleform came along and suddenly you were no longer able to use the engine to its full potential as you had to create a major part of the GUI logic in a Flash editor. Not to mention the required interaction between UnrealScript or Kismet and the Flash content. It's all very messy, considering you could probably create most of that by drawing the GUI stuff they had before onto ScriptedTextures that are applied to floating rectangle meshes. If the UE3 was more fun to work with from a coder's perspective, I'd have released something like that quite some time ago already. It's a real shame ScriptedTextures didn't have a Canvas back in UT/UT2004 already.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I am looking forward to their HTML5 support though. They already have a demo online, although a bit slow in relatively lower-end machines, it's a very nice demo.
But as long as they use flash, it's a no no. I would use it if Adobe provided at least the basic tools to work with flash for free and if flash wasn't such a resource whore and always breaking.
You can still do your own non-flash based GUI in UDK though, it's just that most people aren't up to spend hours to do so hence following the stream and use it.