Odd UT CD...

Discussions about everything else
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Odd UT CD...

Post by Carbon »

Anyone recognize this UT CD?

I bought it on Ebay for $1.50 - not sure why...it just looked cool - but anyhow, I have no idea about it and I don't have it yet to explore; the photo is from the seller. The seller said it was part of a package he got with his computer wayback, but that doesn't really offer much help. If you have any insight, that would be cool.

Thanks!
Raynor
Adept

Re: Odd UT CD...

Post by Raynor »

Interesting.
Assuming it's not a bootleg, it could have been part of some hardware bundle (like sound card).
Is it one disc ony? Because retail versions had two discs.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Hmm game come with computer when u buy a computer? Sounded like a deal... and a best way to spread more info of UT. lol. :)

I'm not sure what's inside of it but I'd take a look.
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

It's "idiot edition" judging by the text on the right.

Fair deal though for that price.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

heliumcat wrote:It's "idiot edition" judging by the text on the right.
:lol2:

This might be an unoficial copy of some sorts I guess. I have a 2 disc Silent Hill 3 that has Russian and English language, no music (wait, did SH3 had music?), and no dialogue sound (wait, did it have any?).
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Now I recall UT was bundled with Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer 5.1. This could be the case right here.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

GEx wrote:I have a 2 disc Silent Hill 3 that has Russian and English language, no music (wait, did SH3 had music?), and no dialogue sound (wait, did it have any?).
SH3 did have music and dialogue sound!
Without the creepy background music and ambient-sounds And the dialogue would it be only half the fun.
Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap PS2 and this game and play it. :wink:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote:Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap PS2 and this game and play it. :wink:
I already have a slim PS2. Only need the game (I should also try to get the PS2 versions of UT and The Godfather).

OK, final off-topic post from me here. :oops:
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Thanks for the replies...and the laughs! Idiot edition indeed!! Glad those notes are there though...I might have done....well, nothing. :dork:

Anyhow, I don't think it is the Sound Blaster version...Creative loved to plaster their logo all over everything and anything back in the day and I'm sure it would have been all over this as well.

While I concur that it may be a bootleg, the seller is a middle-aged dude from the UK and says it came with his system purchase from those days. Maybe some kind of OEM deal or something....who knows. I bought it for the novelty alone, and it is certainly that. There may be some clues on the CD...will check after I get it. I though someone here might recognize it. Maybe a re-issue or something; I have never actually seen past the packaging those "best of" re-releases before...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Carb, this is a bootleg. I've seen several versions of it. Remember back in the day UT was heavily pirated, especially in the CD duplication factories of the Russian hackers. My advice is send this thread to Flak and ask her. She's the 'Keeper of the Keys' and a very nice lady to chat with. Tweet her and you'll get a response, and you'll then know for sure.

Hope things are well my friend :)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Squidward spotted :!: :wink:
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Bootleg is fine by me....every legit collection needs a bastard! Thanks for the input and I will check with Flak after I get the CD and can explore it. I am still not convinced that it isn't from a magazine back in the day. The "XP 27" seems like it came from an edition of something. Anyhow...we'll see.