Question: high quality textures

Discussions about everything else
darksonny
Adept

Question: high quality textures

Post by darksonny »

Hi all:
I know the question i'm posting is improcedent or in someway not 100% related to ut, the other day I saw diehard site for UT st3c textures to download all hight res textures for my new rig. Installed them on ut gamea folder and looked with the latest drivers rendering to date and it does looks much better away than the stock normal textures. I set the ultra hight settings for UT3 and with the (very) good same result so I can say im happy with the graphics visuales for both games....but I am wondering is there any equivalent to S3tc highres textures for ut2k4 ?

I tested by putting all ut2k4 menu settings to maximum with the gtx 780 and its okay bot not very spectacular or impressive ( it does gives a very high framerate in overall stock maps thats for true) with my favourite display settings ( 1920x1440 in the 30'' dell )...is there any workaround for get the maximum quality in colours and lightings and all possible visual fx?

Thanks!
UT99.org

Re: Question: high quality textures

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:You can try the StartConfig at http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... Config.rar
Last edited by UT99.org on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The textures in UT2004 are already Higher quality, so there was no need for a Hi-Res texture project.

Using a large screen-size and changing the settings to maximum in the menus will not enable extra things, you will have to check the main INI file to see what features are enabled or disabled.
If you only swapped the renderer, and did not manually change extra settings, you may find that you can still make UT99 look even better.
This is where you will notice that UT99 has newer and more advanced renderers than UT2004. No one has made new renderers for it, and the only D3D9 renderer is a beta, Epic gave up on.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Hi:
Dr flay oh what's pity the ut99 and ut3 does it ahve nice lighting when activating some features out the box, medor I was talking about ut2k4 the ut99 ones I do have set and runs fine :)

By the way I was googling out with not success looking for ini settings to activate those features flay was talking of...is there any ini tweak graphics as mentione flay?
thanks!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

It's ironic that the oldest game of the series is the one getting modernized with new renderers. :lol2:
Of course, UT1 is a special case though among all the other games in the series: released native headers (and some of the actual source), can be obtained for free in legal means, that nostalgic feeling that brings some veteran coders into doing something great and fun for them which otherwise would be restricted in the other engines, and some other reasons.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Maybe, you will like this: http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tourn ... ament-2004

This is nothing but just UT2004 with enb series. Just gives you appearance like of UT3.

[youtube]?v=UIn2S2BhIm0[/youtube]

Although UT also works with enb series.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I don't like the bloom effect ...and I think this thread is totally dedicated towards UT2k4.

Moved! :mrgreen:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

ENB... UT3... bloom... I am not sure if it's just me, but they're eye tearing, and they cause headaches times to times...

In the only UEngine3 game I play and which uses all those effects, I disabled all those effects *entirely*, and *not* because my machine couldn't handle them (because it actually can with no sweat), but for me is just visual garbage and probably quite dangerous for your eye health.
From the moment they try to simulate things (heavily) that your eye should do on its own normally, they're pretty much fucking up someone's sight imo...

These effects however can actually improve the feel and look of the game IF only used in the right places and in the right small amount, just like that tiny little bit of pepper or other strong condiment in your food, and not use them all over the place like modern games do.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

There is nothing stopping anyone mapping with (or replacing) the UT99 texture-packs in 2K4. They are compatible.
darksonny wrote: By the way I was googling out with not success looking for ini settings to activate those features flay was talking of...is there any ini tweak graphics as mentione flay?
thanks!
At the top of the forum there is a link called "Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!" Click on that ;)

When it comes to Bloom, I have mixed feelings.
It should be treated as a lens or camera effect, for the right scene or map.
Too many modern games use it for no good reason, or just poorly.
How many times do we have to see a wooden door shine like gold, before they knock it on the head.

The U1 ENB mod is a problem for games that are not Deus Ex (what it was built for). Deus Ex has a Day and Night tag, so the ENB mod looks to see if it should use the day or night config.
We don't have that, so you have to configure as a compromise.
Alternatively, you can disable the bloom, and use the Depth of Field and light-occlusion, and just enjoy the extended contrast.
Each effect is user hugely configurable, so if it does not look right you tweak it.
It works well in Thievery as it is a sneak-around-in-the-dark type game, so 1 config can be set to your preference.
The recent examples posted http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=13642 are way too OTT for UT !
But I imagine with a horror-mod may actually work.

I favour the full ENB effect to play Unreal or other SP mods (I should re-install Deus Ex, with it's texure pack!), never multiplay, as it is pointless adding CPU load for an effect you don't get time to enjoy (unless you camp).
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Thanks rocky and flay about 2k4 I found this in modb what you think? I seems slightly better but I dont know what I must say

and ther zip

http://www.moddb.com/mods/amazex
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

The comment that "The mod is incompatible with an increased level of gore." is enough to make me not use it.

Unless someone gets hold of the source code for the U2 renderers (or reverse-engineers), they are still stuck with DX8 effects.
I imagine this would have the benefit of being more "standard" though, and not have the same setup issues as ENB.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Thanks I got all set enb textures with stc for ut99 and enb drivers for ut2k4 and all they gave a fresh live colors and textures to my favourite game series haha!
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

darksonny wrote:
and ther zip

http://www.moddb.com/mods/amazex
Lotta promises there...