Unreal Tournament: starsiege Tribes mod?

Discussions about everything else
S_hift

Unreal Tournament: starsiege Tribes mod?

Post by S_hift »

A while ago Tribes: Ascend was released on the unreal engine 3

However it did not support customization or modding. My goal is to remake T1 with all the same familiar weaponry and game types, then find people who can port it over to the unreal 3 engine and make a new free to play game for consoles and pc (not free to play model aka pay to win).

I'm also seeking people with talent in this area of expertise. I am trying to build a team of dedicated individuals who want to recreate something in its full glory. Feel free to contact me on xfire (shiftoz).

I am not looking for any personal profit/merit or soliciting business opportunity. I just want to build something new. I'm quite new moddding so I'll go through the list of things I need help on and would like to worth with.

Terrain design
Base design
Weapon design
armor design
game type design (ctf dm ect)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Unreal Tournament: starsiege Tribes mod?

Post by papercoffee »

I moved your post in a more fitting section.
Our Forum do aim at the old UT1 Engine and not UT3 or Unreal3
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

And I just want to warn you in advance that if you go through with this, you may get a C&D letter from High-res studio, or get sued over it.
Probably you should rethink it a bit and not "remake" Tribes, but rather create simply something different (and maybe better) but similar to Tribes, otherwise you may run into severe legal issues there.
It's the same reason why we can't just create a new UT ourselves.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: It's the same reason why we can't just create a new UT ourselves.
Let me dream a little bit longer...
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñìght.:
Average
Personal rank: Nameless Dragon

Post by Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñìght.: »

Trying to recreate the stuff Tribes did in Unreal is nearly impossible, Tribes allowed massive terrains (though the first game tiled them a limited amount of times while Tribes 2 tiled them indefinitely I think) and the jetpack physics will require native code to get it done right. Also, projectiles in the first two games inherited their shooter's velocity slightly which is what Unreal never did though that is somewhat trivial to get working in UnrealScript though. And then there's the vehicles and CommanderGUI....

I had a playerpawn that tried to recreate the Tribes jetpack based on what I've seen of T:V's but it was deemed a failure and I never continued working on said playerpawn anymore.

Tribes just does not belong on the Unreal engine, period. You're better off grabbing Torque3D if you want to craft a total experience like it. Legends was a really minor Tribes clone that surprisingly still exists today running on a old version (the one that ran Tribes 2 I think) of Torque3D, and it's pretty much Tribes in itself except not really.
“I am a dragon without a name...”
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

I don't think It'll be a problem if its a "mod" and not asking for money or anything.

edit: yeah i see what you mean dark night. Unreal isn't really ideal for the terrain aspect is it? See I want to avoid using engines like torque3d for a good reason. Since there are just too many remakes already. And the somewhat new tribes 1.40 uses it as well. and ascend is such a hog when it comes to graphic data ect.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, I just gave a heads up on the legality issues because you stated: "make a new free to play game for consoles and pc"
If it's a mod, then it's ok as long as you guys don't rip the original games resources to do so, but if you want to distribute it as a whole new game even for consoles, then maybe you may run into legal issues.
I think you should inform yourself a bit better on what you really want to do vs what you really can do without issues, because the fact of being free or not has actually nothing to do with it, as again, free or not free, mod or not a mod, no one can recreate a new free UT or Unreal in UDK for slightly similar reasons.

PS.: I started playing Tribes Ascend recently, I love the game but it's a tad P2W... so I quite understand what you want to do, but still... be careful of what you end up really doing. Best of luck on this. :)