nVidia Shield

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

nVidia Shield

Post by Red_Fist »

I am going off topic here but what is all this Nvidia "Shield" stuff. They are trying to get people to sign up for it.
Pretty soon we will have to pay to get drivers or forced to install some Shield program, or have to have it to install drivers.
I hope not.
Binary Space Partitioning
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: nVidia Shield

Post by Feralidragon »

Red_Fist wrote:I am going off topic here
In that case is best to create a topic in the Offtopic section, that's too offtopic for the topic that was at hand, therefore I split it into this topic.

As for the nVidia Shield, it's just a portable high-end nVidia console using Android as its OS. It has nothing to do with drivers, it's just like nVidia's answer to PSP, Nintendo3DS and etc, but with the advantage that you can virtually run any Android game there since it's specifically built for games (although you can use nVidia Shield to run any Android app you want).

It's likely that I will get my hands in one after and if it takes off ground properly and gains momentum in the market (due to the nature of my job, but I am not the one buying it, my boss is lol). But it looks promising so far tbh.

Here's a link: http://shield.nvidia.com/
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Personally I can't see this product gaining much traction let alone 'taking off'. As Ferali said, it is a powerful portable gaming system and will find a niche but I suspect within due course it will be dropped. Too expensive for the teenagers, still too juvenile for adults; the flexibility in features is what makes it interesting, but past a tweaker toy...meh.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I think the strongest point is that besides gaming, you can do and install whatever you want there, since it's fully Android. To be honest I don't know if it will take off properly, but if it didn't have a full Android OS in it then yeah, it wouldn't go far from the start, but since it has and you can do same there as you would do in a smart phone (except perhaps making phone calls?) maybe it has a strong shot.

Furthermore, if UDK starts to support Android actively given that this OS is finally stabilizing ever since 4.0, we may see great mobile games for it (I mean, even in my own smartphone I have GTA Vice City installed, and it's about middle-end hardware, imagine in a high-end device like this).
Plus, imagine grabbing some N64 and gameboy emulators and play them there. One of the greatest downfalls of smartphones is that they're too limited on their controls (I am playing a GBA game in a GBA emulator I have for Android, and sometimes it's annoying to play with the touch screen alone).

So, I think this has a strong shot in taking off properly, provided it doesn't give problems from the start (like the usual heat + battery drain problems most new high-end devices have at the beggining), and ends up being produced at a reasonable price.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

So its a smartphone with a controller then. Still not seeing the take off. Its been out for a bit already and not making many waves leading me to believe that it will pass soon enough.