DayZ, monsterhunting all grown up

Discussions about everything else
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

DayZ, monsterhunting all grown up

Post by JackGriffin »

Friendly!....Friendly! <wag wag>.......I'm coming in, don't shoot!

Thought I might post this for you guys to consider. Over the last couple of months I've been building and coding a DayZ server that runs very much the way I always wanted MH to be. The Arma engine is as forgiving as UEngine but vastly improved in all aspects, being a much newer design. I've applied the things I did here into that server and now I'm quite happy with the state of things. I'll speak like you know what I'm talking about:
My DayZ server run Cherno, 24 hour day. No bad weather, minimal fog. Towing, self bloodbag, spawn fully geared, basebuilding, snapping to grid, 500 vehicles, full epoch trader system. And zombies. Lots and lots of zombies. Kill all you want, I'll make more ;) I coded much of the AI to do what I want and so there are ~40 missions that run randomly across the map. They range from unprotected supply drops all the way to securing a city from invasion forces. The 'theme' of the server is that in this apocalyptic world a group called "Legion" has taken over the land and you must learn to survive around them until you are strong enough to resist and even fight them.

I run a custom anticheat and banning system. If you are dismissed from the game you aren't coming back, end of story. The server has been running busy all the time and I've had to implement a whitelist to keep the crowds down. With it off the player count swells to 35+ when I'd like to keep it in the mid teens so whitelisting runs when I need to slow the growth.

We have a full admin staff (including Sp00ney, tell him hello) and trouble is dealt with swiftly and severely. You are welcome to play knowing that it's secure and as trouble free as we can make it. Battleye is updated to the new regex system and running soldily as well as my own system in the background.

If you like MH, you'll love DayZ. There is a world of new options and things to do compared to the possibilities you are limited to in UEngine. Drop me a line and I'll whitelist you and give you server access to try it out. DayZ was on sale in the Humble Bundle too so now is a good time.

Hunt friggin scary zombies: check.
Hunt even more scary AI (wait they have RPG's!?!?): check
Hunt each other: OH YEAH! CHECK!

Anyone in Electro?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Re: DayZ, monsterhunting all grown up

Post by Torax »

That could be interesting..
Any modding support for this game and engine? :ironic:
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Indeed Torax, DayZ is itself a mod for Arma 2, and is therefore modable.

There are often cheap bundle deals on the 2 prerequisites.
Arma 2 is the base game, but DayZ uses resources from the "Operation Arrowhead" expansion.
Once you have these, you can use the free DayZ mod

For those on a budget, or possibly because your GFX card is not quite good enough, you may find using the Arma2 demo with reduced texture quality a better option.
Many sites host the free official demo and patch
ARMA2Free_setup.zip
ARMA2Free_Patch_111.zip
http://www.arma2.com/buy/241-buy-arma-2 ... whead.html

To buy the bundle "ARMA II: Combined Operations"

UK £16.99
Or show some love by donating a bit extra with your purchace, as these DayZ servers are paid for privately.
http://www.gamefanshop.com/partner-Sp00 ... perations/

Even though the base games are hectic battle-fests, DayZ will not be enjoyable for people that only play Deck-16 and CTF-Face.
It is very much a team game, where the rewards are not often immediate.
It truly is a game of "blood, sweat and tears".

Damn-it, I keep promising myself (and Jack) I'll be joining in and becoming one of "Kellys Heros" (gonna be upset if you don't claim that classic title ;) ).
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Jack...you have been busy! Good to hear and it sounds like a blast!
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Kelly ... on a scale from 1 to 10, how easy is this game to mod for? (think of UT as an 8 on that scale)

I haven't done a lot of gameplay, but it did strike me as an engine with great potentials, though the issues (don't know if it already has been fixed?) with zombies beeing able to kill you through walls need to be solved - not cool to die like that after spending a lot of time collecting loot.
Retired.