74%
Mac (OSX or Leopard)
3%

Total votes: 34

LiQuidFire
Average

Re: FIGHT!!! Windows (XP, Vista), Linux (any distro), or Mac

Post by LiQuidFire »

I use to use Macs at uni and i like them alot. I use XP on my home computer and would really like to try Ubuntu (i've heard nothing but good things about it).

If Apple started supporting cutting edge graphics cards and tried a bit harder to attract the gaming producers to its platform i think there will be no need for windows :highfive:
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

LiQuidFire wrote:I use to use Macs at uni and i like them alot. I use XP on my home computer and would really like to try Ubuntu (i've heard nothing but good things about it).

If Apple started supporting cutting edge graphics cards and tried a bit harder to attract the gaming producers to its platform i think there will be no need for windows :highfive:
You should download it and run it off the CD to get a feel for it before you install it or dual boot it on your hard drive. I like Ubuntu, but there is a learning curve (mostly with installing and tweaking stuff) you'll have to get past before you use it as your primary OS.
cloudmaxier
Personal rank: Blade of Eternity

Post by cloudmaxier »

Windows XP. It has fewer problems than Vista and it is much more compatable with programs than mac or linux
lauren
Skilled

Post by lauren »

Windows Xp is easier to use, it is faster, compatible easier.

BUT(theres always a but) if windows xp is as good as we r saying y r hospitals and offices still using linux?
LT
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

lauren wrote:Windows Xp is easier to use, it is faster, compatible easier.

BUT(theres always a but) if windows xp is as good as we r saying y r hospitals and offices still using linux?
Most of the ones I see are switching to it mostly for reliability and security reasons. Linuxes are actually better than Windows, but almost nothing is ever written for it. Plus almost all distros are free to download because Linux is open-source. The cool thing about it being open-source is that it's development isn't limited by how many people a single corporation can hire, but by how many people on this planet are willing to work with it.
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

XP once gave me an error that said that kernel32.dll crashed 'cause it was defective or something like that...

Also, XP gives me 5 daily BSODs. Mostly 'cause of the most trivial things ever.

I prefer Linux...
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
LiQuidFire
Average

Post by LiQuidFire »

I've just got a new computer so I've *finally* had a go on Windows Vista.
I was very wary about it due to all the bad things people have been saying about it. However, I've had no problems so far... no crashes, no driver issues no problems installing stuff (and im on the 64 edition). So i'm happily surprised =)
The only thing that bothers me is the amount of ram it uses with no programs running (about 1.5GB) and the fact i still get that blue loading ring on things that i probably shouldn't for a system this powerful...

I think if you have low expectations it not hard to impress tho!

I'd still have a mac if i could justify paying all that extra for out of date hardware (im on core i7 now for half the price of their iMac core 2 duo 3ghz). But of course, i didn't get a big 24" monitor with it, but then again i have a perfectly good 20" already!!

Anyway, bring on Windows 7!!! lol
David_OSU
Novice

Post by David_OSU »

As far as the best PC Gaming OS, I would have to say "none of the above".

I hate to admit this, but my gaming PC is still running Windows 98SE. Granted, it is a highly tweaked and tricked out Windows install, but it is good old 98. For legacy gaming (anything that does not require XP), it is a great OS. Mainly because it boots in under 30 seconds, and when I start up a game, the OS gets the hell out of the way and gives the game all of the CPU and memory resources. That is definitely not true of XP or Vista.

I would rather game on an Xbox 360 than a Vista PC. But I prefer PC gaming (for now), so I keep my aging 98 machine. It kicks ass on UT99, and runs UT2k4 smoothly, so I'll keep it around for another decade just for those.
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

XP.
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Fodder McFly*VSC
Novice
Personal rank: Goggle Boy

Post by Fodder McFly*VSC »

XP/Vista

I currently have Vista 64-bit and it runs good. Can't say perfect, as I've had to tweak the heck out of old games to get them to work properly.

That's what dual-booting/virtual machines are for, of course! I have Windows 98 running through Microsoft Virtual PC. I use it to play really old games like Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein 3D, King's Quest V, etc...