new UED 2.2 !

Discussions about everything else
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: new UED 2.2 !

Post by Chamberly »

Radi wrote:Why :p ? You dont know how to make maps ?
Why? Because I like to watch.
I know a few things to do, but never released a map yet.
& The reason why I said that because I rather release a map that is particularly good than releasing a newbie map that have nothing in it.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Sp0ngeb0b wrote:A map created with the new editor will always require its custom packages/libaries, wouldnt it?
+1
How it's works?
Feralidragon wrote: did... you.. say.... UT support????
No more BSP errors? Static meshes?
:shock: :o :!: I DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THIS :!: :o :shock:
I'm still working on my MonsterHunt map it's a real big labirinthy now and I always have something trouble with the BSP's and with Zones :confused2:
Spoiler
irridium77
Novice
Personal rank: Bunnytrack mapper

Post by irridium77 »

Any other topics on this UED2.2?
i want it bad. :mad2:

Big up to skrimirsh!!
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

If all this is a truth i will become a mapper 8)
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Torax wrote:If all this is a truth i will become a mapper 8)
Yeah, I might also use this as an excuse to learn mapping.

Though, if it will require any dependencies other than what can be shipped to the client via redirect I'm out.
Retired.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, it certainly will need its own .dll dependencies if you guys are wondering, as apart from the editor itself, things like static meshes and particle systems are built natively and thus depend on the same things, just like Dr.Flay pointed out.

However, in my own case at least, it doesn't really matter as my next thing will have its own .dlls itself, so this comes right on time for me, and if it delivers what it promises to deliver, and considering UEd2.1 already which was already something close to a positive quantum leap in technology UEngine1-wise, it will save me several months of work and increase the overall quality of the thing I am going to (try to) build.
Furthermore, even with custom .dlls, that's why NPLoader exists.

So bring it on, once it gets released I will probably try it right away. :mrgreen:
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

:thudown: fake
Last edited by Metalfist on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

It sounds absolutely fantastic, but I'm a little bit skeptical. In particular about the node limit. This limit has been a true menace to my mapping efforts (for UT). I thought the node limit was hardcoded in the game-engine. Does it require additional dependencies? Will it work with all standard renderers?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Before you all get too carried away I should point out there is no specific UT support planned in this "2.2" of which you speak.
There is a next version of Unreal patch that will obviously bring new treats to the masses, but same as before in 2.1 it will require you have the original Unreal, and same as before you can make a map not work for UT.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Could you or someone else elaborate?

When it's posted "Unreal and UT", I assumed "New editor with its own dlls + some more dlls that are able to properly link to UT as it is and bring some new stuff (not all of it as in U227 of course)", specially because of this line: "static mesh support as in 2.1 for UT, ..."
So.... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
does this mean that you can run UT as it is in Unreal itself post-patch or something?

And slightly offtopic: is there a free demo version of Unreal that can be patched to U227 btw?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am selling an Unreal CD online, but I charge a lot.

I just wish he would have got the ******* code for UT instead of unreal.
Binary Space Partitioning
Tim-_-
Average

Post by Tim-_- »

I've actually always felt that in many ways, the engine's code behind U1 (< 227) was more solid than UT's. UT (>= 436) always felt a bit rushed to me, probably because of time constraints and bringing people on board who weren't as familiar with the code-base, but Epic did what they had to do to get their idea implemented and into the market, and it obviously all worked out.

But back to the main topic, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's probably feasible and worth it to build something in 2.2 if it's easier to work with and crashes less. I would imagine it should work fine to port the brushes and backwards-compatible actors into UT's editor afterwards.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, it's no secret that at least nowadays U227 is vastly superior to the current UT (I mean, there's no possible comparison).
However, UT is far more popular, has more wide support from the community and can in a way be obtained for free if your intent is just playing with mods, while Unreal seems to not have a demo whatsoever and no one will pay for it if it doesn't offer the same level of content UT itself provides.

If Unreal had a free demo that could be patched to 227, or if Epic made it free somehow, personally I would certainly use it without thinking twice. I think that if the same patching was done for UT, these features would see a lot more use and the differences between UT and Unreal could hinder to a point that probably most mods could be easily ported to U227 and vice-versa and everyone would be much happier, boosting its own popularity along with UT.

Hopefully, if the OP is right in the features and is not inducing anyone in error as Flay implied (as I don't see a topic on this in OldUnreal to corroborate any of this), this new editor could start to hinder some of the main differences between UT and Unreal and get people interested in using U227-like features on it. Many SP maps also only run with UT, so in the SP side this would improve existing work and ongoing projects perhaps.
The editor itself seems to be a gem already, but unfortunately I would rather take the BSP and crashes pain of UEd2.0 in UT, rather than build the BSP in UEd2.1 or UEd2.2 just to switch back and forth and break something in the process, because there's no map where you don't have to rebuild the BSP at some point after you placed some stuff (even because some lighting requires a full BSP rebuild to be properly applied in the current UT/UEd version).

So hopefully once this new editor comes out, if it really delivers what the OP wrote (in the UT-side) then it will make plenty of people happy (me included), if it does not and if it's another "UEd2.1" of sorts, then it will be just be another "candy" the UT "kids" (me included) cannot possibly "eat" at all.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

HOLY SHIT!!!!! Is this true?? UT SUPPORT AND FIXED BSP ERRORS??
UNBELIEVABLE :shock:

Hey Tim maybe you can organize another Map Making Competition on this 2.2 :mrgreen:??
Btw I have a question...

What will happen, suppose when a mapper using UnrealEd 2.2 and made a map and uploaded it in his favorite site and now the Down-loader downloads his map and his UnrealEd is still 2.0, then what will happen when he will try to Open the Mapper's Map??
Will the Game Crash with some Errors?? or It will Run as it is??
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Rocky wrote:HOLY SHIT!!!!! Is this true?? UT SUPPORT AND FIXED BSP ERRORS??
UNBELIEVABLE :shock:

Hey Tim maybe you can organize another Map Making Competition on this 2.2 :mrgreen:??
Btw I have a question...

What will happen, suppose when a mapper using UnrealEd 2.2 and made a map and uploaded it in his favorite site and now the Down-loader downloads his map and his UnrealEd is still 2.0, then what will happen when he will try to Open the Mapper's Map??
Will the Game Crash with some Errors?? or It will Run as it is??
Unless there's some radical change compared to how UnrealEd 2.1 worked, here's how it goes : once you've downloaded a map made with Ued 2.2, you open it in Ued 1.0 or 2.0, and it opens.

That's it. Unless the mapper used some actors which are specific to Unreal 227, there is no incompatibility. However, there might be huge differences if you use UEd 1.0 or 2.0 to rebuild a map which has been rebuilt with the enhanced engine of U227. So you might want to not mess around to much.
You must construct additional pylons.