Full "Retirement"

Discussions about everything else
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Full "Retirement"

Post by Feralidragon »

Before I forget (again): as some of you may have noticed, my blog page (feralidragon.blogspot.com) was not updated in years, and in fact won't be (not really proud of that page).
I am thinking in within some time to take it down or completely reformulate it around my new project with perhaps just a link or another to UT stuff. That means that all the info concerning the other mods (help around NW2X, the planned things I had in the past, links to released stuff), will likely be lost.
So I advice anyone who wants rescue any of it to run an offline reader over it and save it.
UnrealGecko wrote: What will happen to the rest of the scripting tutorials of yours? You promised after NW3 to finish those :sad2: .
I started to write this reply saying that I probably wouldn't work on them anymore, because of the site ongoing (and never-ending) issues and the fact that I am dropping UT completely, but then I remembered that maybe I can rescue (and maybe improve) the already written tutorials and post them in my page at ModDB, and continue them.

So, nothing is set in stone in that regard yet, but basically my idea is to not continue them here, and instead *maybe* start posting them in ModDB ("maybe" being the keyword here since I don't know when and if I am going to continue them, since now I am already busy working in my new project, at the stage of making its "skeleton", in a very literal sense).
Hence I suggest anyone interested in the tutorials to either visit my profile there times to times, or use the "watch user" functionality to know when exactly I post about something (which could be about the tutorials, my new project, or anything else), as I am not sure that even if I get to do them, if I am going to post a link to it here.

I am still also open to any specific doubts however (either about a particular mod of mine, or anything else UT related within my knowledge), and maybe those could be done at ModDB too (although I can't create a forum there for my user, there's a forum created there for NW3, so I might as well open a new section for general UT questions, and close down the unused ones).
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

One of the pillars that support UT falling down. :( ?
Anyway, thanks Ferali for you hard work to bring new content that can be considered as 'a must' by now, especially UltraGoreSSE and Nali Weapons 3. This is sad that you stopped working on UT. . Eh this renderer that you working on is something that only You can finish much faster than others, I know you released a sources but without you I lost hope seeing something similiar in near future. . :(
As for Unity3d... Good luck and await my questions in future regarding this engine ;)
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Ah, another one falls. Your mods got more attention than any of us will ever get for creations and you still leave, haha. Best of luck to you, you were the one keeping this site as good as it was, not the people behind the curtain
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Sorry to see you go. :/
Thank You for everything you did to keep UT alive and also this site.
And good luck with your Unity3d projects.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

He is not entirely gone ...he will be around at times. (the code fairy :mrgreen: )
Ferali is only quitting UT mod development and he did quit the staff here.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Yes I know. :loool:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Thanks everyone :tu:
papercoffee wrote:He is not entirely gone ...he will be around at times. (the code fairy :mrgreen: )
Ferali is only quitting UT mod development and he did quit the staff here.
Yeah, pretty much. I will probably be visiting this forum less and less over time though (up to the point I may not visit it anymore).
But I will remain contactable, whoever has my email can keep using it, whoever doesn't can contact me in ModDB/IndieDB (via PM, I don't get notifications otherwise), or at the NW3 facebook page, youtube, so it's not like I am going to disappear from the map.
Anyone who wishes to clear doubts with me about any of my mods, sources or something else UT related, I can still do so (I may take a bit of time to reply though, depending on how busy I am).
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Thanks for all the years of commitment to this great game, Ferali! As others already pointed out, your contributions are tremendous and I personally own you a lot, since you have been the first (and usually only) person i contacted whenever i was stuck somewhere or needed an advise. Regardless to say that your answers always came back quick, polite and professional. I wish you good luck for your future projects and i'm really curious what next big things we can expect from you... :)
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

A very late reply as I've been away.

I just want to thank Feralidragon for all he has done for UT.
Epic should recognise his Nali Weapons work.

Thanks you for allowing me on the beta testing team and getting to use the toys early.

All the best.
Pileyrei

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Yup, like it or not - the NW series is a milestone in the history of UT. Good Work Ferali :tu:
Retired.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

NO offense intended.

I realize the time and work side of things, and the free side as well.
In it's own merit the weapons are quite remarkable.

But the weapons seem too glitzy or trying to look different more than function.
I only use like 2 of them, the others I am more amused at the graphics, but that don't cut it for me.

Now the end result is total spam weapons against total spam maps, I never thought MH could be ruined, but the NW3 made it so.
I like the cool new stuff, but between the new weapons and dorky server admins and mods, sort of like overkill beyond overkill.

Go ahead and hate me, but that's what my brain said.
Binary Space Partitioning
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Valid point Red_Fist, but I would suggest that if you find NW3 too spammy, then you need to think more carefully about which maps and weapons you use.
They are all optional and very configurable.
I use them in large maps and small, but tweak the layout if needed..
I play Unreal 1 with just the blades added, so I can stand a chance in a fist-fight with Skaarj.
(You already can make any map spammy with the wrong original weapons, as many bad mappers do)
Don't expect using the defaults and just swapping all existing weapons and ammo to suit all maps.
This is the same issue with any other pack eg. Infiltration, CSWeapons etc. and without testing can completely break gameplay.

In some ways I agree they look too glitzy in many old maps, as they make the maps look so dated.
But the answer to that is simple.
Hi-res texture replacements and better maps
Use them in Creavions, Feralis, or FragNbrags maps and they fit very nicely indeed :tu:
_naruto_999
Average

Post by _naruto_999 »

Red_Fist wrote:NO offense intended.

I only use like 2 of them, the others I am more amused at the graphics, but that don't cut it for me.

Now the end result is total spam weapons against total spam maps, I never thought MH could be ruined, but the NW3 made it so.
I like the cool new stuff, but between the new weapons and dorky server admins and mods, sort of like overkill beyond overkill.

That's why I didn't make maps for MH. 90% of the time ppl are playing cube /cylinder maps with oversized monsters with 100.000 health and that fire nukes at you. Many of those maps are plain meaningless, cube room with lava pit, then stair floating in the air, then corridor with random texture and a another room with water texture on all faces.... sometimes it's slime with a brickwall texture, wtf?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

LoL, tellin ya there is some awful MH maps, it's like a whole bunch of people's first made maps, tons of them.
Binary Space Partitioning
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Red_Fist wrote:NO offense intended.

I agree 100% to me NW3 is a poor attempt to make UT99 into UT3. But you can't take away that Ferali did a milestone codingwise - and animationwise, which is also overkill thinking of filesizes. Good project - wrong game.
Retired.