Full "Retirement"

Discussions about everything else

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby Hellkeeper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks for your work anyway.

I want to say that I completely understand your bits about Unity being superior and such (after all, UT is ancient nowadays), and I'll also say I'm kinda relieved. I have a kneejerk reaction when I see people asking for UT to be turned intro pretty much UT2004. Working inside the limitation of the engine is something I think benefits everyone nowadays.

Thanks for your great work, your mods and of course, Nali Weapons, you gave something great to this community, have fun!
You must construct additional pylons.
User avatar
Hellkeeper
Masterful
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: France
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby Raynor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Stay around, you hear :)
User avatar
Raynor
Adept
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby GenMoKai » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 am

As you may have noticed, Ferali is now green ;) Finaly i could change his status

Gratz Ferali, we are going to miss you in our secret meeting place in this forum :satan:
Image
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!

1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
User avatar
GenMoKai
Godlike
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Netherlands, the land of cheese and weed!
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby Shade » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 am

Dear Ferali, I am very sad about reading those lines (some are just guesses / half-truths).

I think that the staff deserves at least to stay informed about the status of the whole thing

That's why I inform you when I got any news. No news from me means, there are no news. You know I am aware of the problem since it started. I already told you I am on it.

a place that not even the real admin is caring to keep up.

Pure guesses. Just because I am not that active "at the front" doesn't mean I don't care about this place. I care about it. I also do some background work every now and then the user doesn't see.

Whatever. I don't want to start a discussion here. Further communication between us can be done via PM.
You are welcome to come back to the staff any time.
User avatar
Shade
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Germany
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby UnrealGGecko » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:41 am

Speaking of the staff, since Gen isn't visiting very often, perhaps a new member there? Paper can't moderate the forums alone, can he? :tongue:
"NHL Rock The Rink" (PS1) announcer wrote:...And there are no stunt doubles in this game, folks!

My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, MaleOne+ & FemaleOne+ voicepacks (NEW!), DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack), my small spec of files at Google Drive

List of console converted maps, models & more!
User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Site Staff
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby GenMoKai » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 am

UnrealGecko wrote:Speaking of the staff, since Gen isn't visiting very often, perhaps a new member there? Paper can't moderate the forums alone, can he? :tongue:

What do you mean? I might post not much lately, but that doesnt mean i visit the forum and do nothing. For now, we wait untill everything is fixed. Further that is some what Paper and i have to discuss
Image
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!

1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
User avatar
GenMoKai
Godlike
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Netherlands, the land of cheese and weed!
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby UnrealGGecko » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:47 am

My mistake. :oops:
"NHL Rock The Rink" (PS1) announcer wrote:...And there are no stunt doubles in this game, folks!

My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, MaleOne+ & FemaleOne+ voicepacks (NEW!), DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack), my small spec of files at Google Drive

List of console converted maps, models & more!
User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Site Staff
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby Feralidragon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Shade wrote:Dear Ferali, I am very sad about reading those lines (some are just guesses / half-truths).

Indeed, many of them are nothing more than assumptions (except the fact that you really ignored everyone), which I brought to public almost 4 weeks later (after several attempts from all of us to get any sort of feedback from you) to get some kind of reaction from you. And guess what, it finally worked (I was already thinking that even with this you wouldn't say anything).
Not that they aren't my genuine feelings about it, they are indeed, but if I didn't brought them forth publicly, you probably wouldn't jump in and make that sticky giving an update of the situation for the next months until, by your own words below, the situation had some kind of development, most likely.
The fact that I posted about it, and the fact that you reacted certainly because of it in the exact manner you should have done ages ago, may have just saved your forum from a premature death.

Shade wrote:
I think that the staff deserves at least to stay informed about the status of the whole thing

That's why I inform you when I got any news. No news from me means, there are no news. You know I am aware of the problem since it started. I already told you I am on it.

Just check your sticky you just made. Would it be hard to tell us at least the exact same thing weeks ago? This problem is going on and we tried to get info from you not for 1 week, not 2 weeks, not 3 weeks, but almost an entire month! That's a lot of time.
You're just also asserting that we're aware of something when you didn't tell us anything at all, how that makes any sense?
Being responsible for something myself, I can't let it stay offline or with this sort of trouble for 10min, let alone 1 month without even saying anything at all to anyone.

Shade wrote:
a place that not even the real admin is caring to keep up.

Pure guesses. Just because I am not that active "at the front" doesn't mean I don't care about this place. I care about it. I also do some background work every now and then the user doesn't see.

But whenever something happens that the user *does* notice, it's the job of an admin to give a heads up either the issue is fixed or the entire thing still messed up, to at least let users know something is being done about it, don't you think? Well, I guess not, you were very clear on that.

Shade wrote:Whatever. I don't want to start a discussion here. Further communication between us can be done via PM.

Done.

Shade wrote:You are welcome to come back to the staff any time.

Not going to happen, thanks regardless.
User avatar
Feralidragon
Godlike
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Liandri
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby TheDane » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Shade wrote:Just because I am not that active "at the front" doesn't mean I don't care about this place. I care about it. I also do some background work every now and then the user doesn't see.


Good to know you're working on solving these issues :tu: , a little more info next time (if there is a NeXT time) would be great, rumours and speculations are working against you if you stay silent. I hope it's fixed soon 8)

have you tried opening a Vanilla board with no custom hacks and then copied the database from this board to it? I would guess the problem to be related to a flaw in one of the php hacks - maybe due to an update that could have left a hack unsupported?
Semi-Retired UT fan(atic).
User avatar
TheDane
Masterful
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm
Personal rank: *censored*

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby Chamberly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:20 pm

TheDane wrote:
Shade wrote:Just because I am not that active "at the front" doesn't mean I don't care about this place. I care about it. I also do some background work every now and then the user doesn't see.


Good to know you're working on solving these issues :tu: , a little more info next time (if there is a NeXT time) would be great, rumours and speculations are working against you if you stay silent. I hope it's fixed soon 8)

have you tried opening a Vanilla board with no custom hacks and then copied the database from this board to it? I would guess the problem to be related to a flaw in one of the php hacks - maybe due to an update that could have left a hack unsupported?


:wth: :loool:
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Chamberly
Godlike
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: TN, USA
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby JackGriffin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:53 am

First off...:waves at everyone: I REALLY hope everyone is doing great and that each and every one of you is happy, safe, warm, and having the best day ever!

Second...to the person who nudged me to see this thread: thank you, and yes I would very much like to add a little something...

Claudio, your leaving is sad for most but I find it a very happy thing. You deserve a much larger audience for your work and I think now this will allow it to happen. I want to thank you for your tireless, direct, and always cheery help. You are a top shelf dude worthy of great things. We've shared a lot of thoughts and exchanges, some good and some not so good, but all important to me and I learned from every one of them. No one has said it but we are all thinking it: your leaving is a huge nail in the coffin for ut99.org. Yeah, I know you will argue against this but we all know you are the heart and soul of this place. The fact that you are less than happy about something should be all the reason Shade needs to put that to the top if his to-do list.

I think you were absolutely spot-on with your exchange with Shade. Even though his name is on the owner plaque we all know who the real "owner" is. Shade, you rode Claudio's hard work for years, letting him sweat everything and do all the work while you enjoyed your private name color. Benefits without effort indeed. You should package the DB and send it to Caludio. He's the real caretaker and he's the one we really want. He's the one we really respect.

There, it's been said. Do what you wish with it.

It was an absolute honor to work with you C and I appreciate every single thing you did for me and everyone else. Good luck sir :thuup:
"You damn kids, back in my time we made the items, maps and games ourselves with an unwieldy engine using counter-intuitive crash-prone tools and we liked it so much we built communities around this which nowadays look like cults because they're quasi-parallel societies based on the same old games." -Hellkeeper
User avatar
JackGriffin
Godlike
 
Posts: 3750
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm
Personal rank: Hack coder

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby Feralidragon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for your kind words Kelly :tu:

And yeah, I disagree with what you said about the nail in the coffin (Shade not communicating and cooperating with his own staff team in times such as these is what will probably kill it), as the community itself is what makes ut99.org great, lots of great folks around here and even the potentially problematic ones tend to behave and positively participate, so it's a great atmosphere overall.

We (site staff) worked hard to keep it that way by dealing with everyone as equally as possible and trying to come out with the best decisions possible along with actively participating and helping, along enforcing the very basic rules many probably still find idiotic (but which worked very well thus far, and proof of that is the amount of off-topic which we do *not* have, making most of the discussions truly UT1 oriented and organized) and listening to the feedback of the users.

I did work hard on this forum and tried to take care of as many things as I could, along with Paper and Gen, but in the end this forum was a big cooperative accomplishment, and not just the work of one guy or another. :)

---

On another different note:

Once I get something going relative my new Unity project, I will post about it in IndieDB using the same user account as I did with my mods in ModDB, however only when it gets near an actual release (I learned from my mistakes).
Also, I have received a few help offers from some skilled UT people in their respective areas, and to avoid to say the same things in the future:

- your help is more than welcome, however until I have something done you should treat my next project as vaporware (and that's a golden rule you should follow relative work of anyone else as well). Once I get something done, I will show it, I will explain the core concept behind it, and anyone will be able to contribute to it as much as they want (even because it will need such contributions, either models, textures, sounds, etc, later on).

Until then however, is very likely that a good deal of time will pass, you shouldn't wait for me, or in better words, if something else pops up of your interest to contribute or work with instead, go ahead and don't miss it.
User avatar
Feralidragon
Godlike
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Liandri
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby UnrealGGecko » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

One more (hopefully final) question...

What will happen to the rest of the scripting tutorials of yours? You promised after NW3 to finish those :sad2: .
"NHL Rock The Rink" (PS1) announcer wrote:...And there are no stunt doubles in this game, folks!

My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, MaleOne+ & FemaleOne+ voicepacks (NEW!), DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack), my small spec of files at Google Drive

List of console converted maps, models & more!
User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Site Staff
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby MrLoathsome » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:57 am

Well best of luck with your future projects, and thanks again for your help in the past
when I would get "stuck" with some bit of code, and you would be the one who would show
me how to make it work in UScript.

Check in now and then. Just in case I get back to coding, and get stuck again.
blarg
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm
Location: MrLoathsome fell out of the world!
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: Full "Retirement"

Postby memsys » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Shade wrote:
I think that the staff deserves at least to stay informed about the status of the whole thing

That's why I inform you when I got any news. No news from me means, there are no news. You know I am aware of the problem since it started. I already told you I am on it.

a place that not even the real admin is caring to keep up.

Pure guesses. Just because I am not that active "at the front" doesn't mean I don't care about this place. I care about it. I also do some background work every now and then the user doesn't see.


Honestly Shade, you messed up. With problems of this magnitude you should make a public announcement ASAP to acknowledge the problem and tell people you are working on it. If fixing the problem takes time and you have nothing to report at least update the topic to tell people! Because if you don't people are going to assume you don't care and causing the forum to bleed to death.

I am quite aware these are harsh words but someone had to say it. You pay (both in $$$ and time) to keep this place going and we should be thankful for that. I really hope that when something happens again you have learned from your mistakes and communicate better.

On to other things.


Ferali, While I have not been around here for very long, you are a nice guy preferring to talk thing out as opposed to swinging with the ban hammer. While it is a shame to see you retire from ut it also means you can focus on new and exiting things! I am sure many people here are curious of and interested in your new projects!
User avatar
memsys
Adept
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

PreviousNext

Return to Misc | Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest