Thank you <BLANK> for....

Discussions about everything else
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Thank you <BLANK> for....

Post by JackGriffin »

I'd like to propose that we all take a moment and thank someone since there will be a lot of interest in the board for the next month. My guess is a lot of old faces may swing by to watch the impending demise of the game as we know it and it might be nice if we mark this introspection with some notes of happiness.

I'd like to thank Iniquitous for his never ending patience in teaching me to code. Much love to you Shaun (wherever you went to) and I treasure the memories of the time you took for me.

Thank you to the LOOOONGGG gone group "Big Ass Maps". You guys don't know it but they set the groundwork for map sharing in the Unreal community by allowing people to play their assault server overnights in 'idle' mode so you could get their (incredibly huge) maps into your cache. No other group was so openly liberal in allowing that and the community was great for working around it. Live players would switch sides to accommodate the idlers and keep teams even and everyone worked around the issue with very few problems. You have to remember this was the era of dial-up and there was no real place to post maps for download yet since webspace was a hugely premium product. I don't think the community was ever so undivided as it was then.

Thank you Baiter. I'd wager you brought more people into Unreal than anyone else.

There are a lot more but I hope I have to wait in line to add them ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Thank you <BLANK> for....

Post by Carbon »

Good idea Jack.

First, thank you Jack for showing me - all of us really - what courage and patience really mean. You were the first person upon my return to the UT community to really welcome me back in, so thanks for that too. Although I haven't been writing these days, you are always in my thoughts.

Shade for this site and thus bringing together a great community which gave me a hearty welcome back after I left for 12+ years.

As far as individual thanks....man...where to start? I guess I haven't had much personal interaction with many, but after my long absence I came back to find that while most people had moved on in the UT community since 2002 - when I got busy with life - those that were here were of the same great nature as those who were around when I left. So thanks to all of you folks here...a great community for people. Content, conversation and contention; all part of our Unreal lives.

Finally I suppose I have to thank Epic for the games that have welded us together. That people can galvanize friendships, have such great times and heck, even such bad times together over a game is a remarkable achievement. Regardless of how we may feel about Epic Games since then, I will never forget that it was them indeed which brought us and has kept us together.

My deepest thanks also to those reading from the Unreal community as well for all the same reasons.

Cheers everyone. :tu:
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: Thank you <BLANK> for....

Post by TheDane »

I will considder posting my thanks here, but not untill I hear the fat lady sing :-)
fatlady_vDane.jpg
Retired.