Blocking favourites

Discussions about everything else
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Blocking favourites

Post by noccer »

Today i was on a server which redirected me to some other and they added 3! servers to my favourites.

Is there another way then set the ini to read only to block that crap?

//edit it was 3 not 5 servers
Last edited by noccer on Thu May 01, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Blocking favourites

Post by papercoffee »

noccer wrote:Today i was on a server which redirected me to some other and they added 5! servers to my favourites.

Is there another way then set the ini to read only to block that crap?
Hm... I know there was once a fella who did this in the past and got kicked in the soft parts from the community.
Your only chance (as far as I know) is to avoid this server and make it public.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Play with yours ini under read only :agree1:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Publish as much details as you can please.
This needs to be dealt with loudly and publicly.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

medor wrote:Play with yours ini under read only :agree1:
ROFL. Could be a good idea... but I'm always constantly changing something in my .ini, my user, and my UT... If I don't have that addiction, I would do this for sure.
------------
Dr.Flay wrote:Publish as much details as you can please.
This needs to be dealt with loudly and publicly.
I did went into 1 server, which is populated and full of peoples because I can see the peoples actively running around and shooting and stuff... so when the server redirected me to another server, and so yeah however the set up is done by the server admin.

The reason why those other servers appear in your favorite is... (I'm taking a guess!) with having the XBrowser, what's installed on the server can do something to let xbrowser know like "Hey, you've played here! You wanna add these to your favorite?" And don't forget to pay close attention... there is a ACCEPT or DENY button for those. Some peoples complain and didn't even notice because of that. I do think it sounds kinda twisty whatever it said but yeah,that happened to me before.

In my past experience, I play on 1 servers as a regular active player. Ok, then I went to 2 server for a little bit and back to 1 or something... after I restarted my UT or something, something on the screen is asking me to remove 2 servers. lol. Then 2 started doing the same. I don't like those popup but I'm guessing it could use some improvement, such as do not show this again (from this server)... etc.

I'm keeping the server name in private to respect their opinion, as I know the reason behind the story and their argumentation. Now when I do come across another server, sure I'll post who/where/when/how/what.
-------------
Papercoffee, I learned that the forum didn't auto update my post when I am making a reply to the 2nd post. Probably not implemented?
Because I had to delete my new one, and paste the contents in here.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK. If this is restricted to Xbrowser users, the question is, can it be disabled in Xbrowser.

It does not sound like noccer was presented with an option.
I can understand it being a handy feature if you wanted to "subscribe" to a related group of servers, but under no circumstance should that ever be done without the users knowledge and consent.
How would you feel if you innocently visit my blog, and I spam your browser bookmarks with a bunch of my favourite sites, for you to find later ?

I can see it as a nice touch at the end of a game, to be able to add this current server to your favourites, but adding an unknown selection of other servers, is very bad.
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

Xbrowser, one of the best additions for UT can prevent servers doing so, IIrc it's options are: allow adding and ask for permission.
The problem is, xbrowser sometimes shows online servers as offline, i found that it happens most when there are 5 or more servers on the same host.

If you enter the server and it asks if it is allowed to add itself (only) to the favourites it would be a great service for both, admin and player.

If you want to try it, the server that screwed my favs is this one: 82.96.119.10:7777
But be warned, it adds itself and 2 other servers to the favourites and might also redirect you.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Yeah it was one of XBrowser's features to stop servers messing with favorites, with normal UBrowsers the changes get made with no asking. That is both removing and adding.

There is a no longer supported nexgen plugin that allows this client manipulation. This was when UTDC required the game to restart (add to favs), and SLV servers were changing IP a lot (remove from favs). I believe there was a bug discovered in it that allowed anyone to crash the server abusing it, to that guy if you read this thread, hint hint

XBrowser also has a very odd listing of anti-cheats, strays from the ACE PURE Anti-tweak combo and adds a bunch of serverside fixes that shouldn't even be listed public. Relies on the server owners to supply their own flags rather than resolve and look up which I found odd. I believe it has a built-in censor for if the community ever required it, there is a third party server it does a sync with which has ability to hold blacklisted servers
noccer
Adept

Post by noccer »

billybill wrote:Yeah it was one of XBrowser's features to stop servers messing with favorites, with normal UBrowsers the changes get made with no asking. That is both removing and adding.

There is a no longer supported nexgen plugin that allows this client manipulation. This was when UTDC required the game to restart (add to favs), and SLV servers were changing IP a lot (remove from favs). I believe there was a bug discovered in it that allowed anyone to crash the server abusing it, to that guy if you read this thread, hint hint

XBrowser also has a very odd listing of anti-cheats, strays from the ACE PURE Anti-tweak combo and adds a bunch of serverside fixes that shouldn't even be listed public. Relies on the server owners to supply their own flags rather than resolve and look up which I found odd. I believe it has a built-in censor for if the community ever required it, there is a third party server it does a sync with which has ability to hold blacklisted servers
Thankys billy. I would be fine if it would remove the server that was injected to the favs. Finally i don't find any server which injects itself and deletes all the other favs.

What serverside fixes do you mean? Lookup of countryflags can cause some trouble, at least we had a problem with it when it was installed on our server. It made the game laggy :( So yeah, retrieval from some self definable source would be great.
Well, if serverowners decide the flag, could i use my own graphics and you will see it in your xbrowser?

UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I think a lot of servers still add all the other servers they run to your favorites. Join clanX server1 you get clanX servers 2,3 and 4 automatically. I don't think the plugin was intended for this, so can't really blame the author
What serverside fixes do you mean?
It has direct3d player crash and some other stuff. Doesn't even include AntiTweak even though it has been considered standard for years now
Well, if serverowners decide the flag, could i use my own graphics and you will see it in your xbrowser?
Yeah it's actually a custom IpServer that those servers are using, comes with XBrowser. Server replies to the XBrowser query with extra parameters, if not already in the options it shouldn't be hard to decompile and reply with any flag that XBrowser recognises. This is the lag you were talking about? XBrowser's IpServer running on server causing lag? It wouldn't surprise me, due to extra parameters, maybe sloppy coding as well