Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament

Post by Carbon »

Nothing wrong with looking back, but there is something wrong with living back there.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Hellkeeper wrote:Wait, the real news here is... UE1 code possibly made public?
That would make all these years of struggling with an obsolete engine, all these sacrifices made in the name of performance, all thee people who suffered and fought against the technical limitation of the engine FINALLY WORTH IT!
Wait, that why would be good? I don't get it.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Unreal Engine ‏@UnrealEngine 11 min
@vanKuss Ah. It's too early to say what all will be in the game but we will support mods, so you can expect mod tools.

SO THEY ARE SAYING MOD TOOLS != UE4? I FUCKING HOPE SO (it's on their twitter, just checked it)

PS: wasn't there a user called vankuss here?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: But that's also what I am trying to explain here. Even if UE4 was free, a noob won't simply be able to load up the editor and start making simple maps, even UDK was known by its steep learning curve, he has to literally learn a couple of things first (even if by himself like most of us did). Nowadays someone to do a map needs to dominate to an extent some sort of external tool first, and solidify some concepts such as UV mapping, texture maps, materials, all sorts of things to make a map.
That's true, and now I get what you want to say...
Feralidragon wrote:Making cube maps like in the old days won't make the game last, and will only bring an overall bad image to this new UT anyway. Can you imagine skimming through the marketplace to find just 1 decent map out of 100? That would actually kill the game, not make it last.
I know, but also think about it vice versa ... you skimming through the marketplace to find just 1 single decent map, nothing more. Not even a second maybe half decent map, which could be maybe fun to play.
That's what I fear.
Feralidragon wrote:Quantity is not necessarily a good thing in UT1 either. Personally, I think even UT1 would be way better off with less quantity and more quality. Hundreds of maps were made and are hosted by servers, yet anyone who plays in such servers can witness and confirm the simple fact that only a hand full of them are the ones voted, no one cares about the others. The only exception to this rule is BT, but only because it's a gametype that focuses in the map itself and not the players unlike every other gametype.
You go to ModDB and most UT mods are downright ignored too, only a few get attention and are generally the ones with more work input into them.
You don't know how right and how much wrong you are here.
BT is an exception ...but most other maps on MH server or DM or NUKE server are butt ugly crap ...but they got vote for every second or fifth round. Even the game-play in those ugly maps is dull and stupid. Same goes for most of the weapons on those servers. :wth:
Feralidragon wrote:Regardless, like I mentioned before, even if I am all wrong about this and UT4 proves to need something like you say, from a business standpoint it's just plain wrong to do it now, it would be a colossal mistake from Epic from the economic point of view to give it away right now, so if it starts to fail, they will eventually give away something, even if just the editor.
Let's hope they will succeed.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Rocky wrote: Where can I get his map??
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=46238#p46238
Have fun.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

ASLYE702 wrote:
That would make all these years of struggling with an obsolete engine, all these sacrifices made in the name of performance, all thee people who suffered and fought against the technical limitation of the engine FINALLY WORTH IT!
That would be could because then it would be much easier for developers to enhance UT's visuals, or.... break some of those limits like the number of custom crosshairs etc. :tu:

Freedom to UT sourcecode!!! :rock: ...... please?!
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

UnrealGecko wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:
That would be could because then it would be much easier for developers to enhance UT's visuals, or.... break some of those limits like the number of custom crosshairs etc. :tu:

Freedom to UT sourcecode!!! :rock: ...... please?!
OH YES!! I really want to change the map, mutator, mod, and skin limit. That would be really awesome.
Or fix the whole stupid limits, really annoying. :( Like my this problem. StuffSwapper Problem - http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5390
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Extending the number of available skins, weapons, crosshairs, etc. is nice but that means much more. Large parts of the engine could be partly or wholly rewritten. A lot of things handled by the CPU could be handled by the GPU. The node limite could be extended so that maps could have tons of polys more: Smirftsch already did that in Unreal. Stencil shadows implemented natively, better optimisations, bug fixes, better AI, improved textures with more recognized formats and transparency settings, there is literally no limit. Look at how game-changing Smirftsch's 227 is for Unreal 1, and remember it was made by a skeleton crew of Smirftsch and I think Shambler who had access to the code, and then huge help from people who couldn't see the code, like dots, casey and some more.

If UE1 is opened, three things happen. First, they can now all look at the code and things which are currently impossible because Smirftsch lacks time or authorizations from Epic are all possible because they're not 1 guy working on the code and some guys helping him with things which are not the code.
Second, all the tremendous progress in Unreal 227 can be ported to UT overnight, and that means a lot, because right now 227 is infinitely better, more stable, more configurable and has many bug fixed compared to UT's 436. Also, UnrealEd 2.1 can be ported in a matter of days.

That's good and all, but third, instead of just Smirftsch and his crew working on Unreal Engine 1 for Unreal, you have Smirftsch and his crew working on Unreal Engine 1 as a whole, joined by pretty much all members of the community who have the time and knowledge to do so, and let me tell you even if there was just one guy fitting this description, development would be twice as fast. Hell, why not converge everything and merge Unreal and UT into a single monstrous hybrid, as for the Unreal/RTNP stuff, if we're going that way and spewing unrealistic fantasies. Imagine launching your game and chosing between the gametypes Deathmatch(Unreal), Deathmatch(UT), etc and having everything in a single interface, not needing OldSkool for SP and old-style weapons anymore.

Basically, what the OldUnreal team struggled to do for years for one specific game becomes available for UT too and they can be joined by potentially many people. Think also about what people like ferali or Shadow and his SDK could do with access to the code at the core of the engine. As I said, the possibilities are limitless.

Let's not get our hopes too high, after all, maybe it'll never happen, but to me and to I think many people around here, and for Unreal and UT as games, it would be the Second Coming.
You must construct additional pylons.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:Making cube maps like in the old days won't make the game last, and will only bring an overall bad image to this new UT anyway. Can you imagine skimming through the marketplace to find just 1 decent map out of 100? That would actually kill the game, not make it last.
I know, but also think about it vice versa ... you skimming through the marketplace to find just 1 single decent map, nothing more. Not even a second maybe half decent map, which could be maybe fun to play.
That's what I fear.
I also understand your fear, but history thus far (up to this day) simply has proven otherwise. This community driven UT is a new thing, but the concept of a marketplace with this kind of "barriers" isn't, and it tends to work.
papercoffee wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:Quantity is not necessarily a good thing in UT1 either. Personally, I think even UT1 would be way better off with less quantity and more quality. Hundreds of maps were made and are hosted by servers, yet anyone who plays in such servers can witness and confirm the simple fact that only a hand full of them are the ones voted, no one cares about the others. The only exception to this rule is BT, but only because it's a gametype that focuses in the map itself and not the players unlike every other gametype.
You go to ModDB and most UT mods are downright ignored too, only a few get attention and are generally the ones with more work input into them.
You don't know how right and how much wrong you are here.
BT is an exception ...but most other maps on MH server or DM or NUKE server are butt ugly crap ...but they got vote for every second or fifth round. Even the game-play in those ugly maps is dull and stupid. Same goes for most of the weapons on those servers. :wth:
... which made people loosing interest in playing it (along with other factors of course), which actually proves my point. When MH was pretty much alive and kicking (several years ago), the kind of maps played had all a certain unique trait to them, and they were worked on as true MH maps and not just some boxes filled with monsters.
Those crap maps, which were actually rather recent in MH, just gave the ability of players to kill non-stop, however to the point it became boring. To worsen that, more iterations of the same concept were created, and worse than that, MH admins added them.
The only gametype that saw true effort in map making in the past few years was BT, because in BT the maps are the stars of the show.

Having that said, this barrier UE4 imposes does not prevent the same from happening, but certainly whoever uses will have a different and more refined sensibility to how a map should be, visually and in gameplay, lessening these odds.
Another thing to note is that many of the most successful FPS games nowadays only have about 10 to 20 maps, but all somewhat thought out and thus great maps to play.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: Having that said, this barrier UE4 imposes does not prevent the same from happening, but certainly whoever uses will have a different and more refined sensibility to how a map should be, visually and in gameplay, lessening these odds.
Another thing to note is that many of the most successful FPS games nowadays only have about 10 to 20 maps, but all somewhat thought out and thus great maps to play.
I hope really you are right.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Feralidragon wrote:Having that said, this barrier UE4 imposes does not prevent the same from happening, but certainly whoever uses will have a different and more refined sensibility to how a map should be, visually and in gameplay, lessening these odds.
Yeah, not too sure about that. Many games nowadays have fewer maps, but in my experience, they're usually far from being all well thought out. There's usually at least two or three ones which are really good, but the quality of the rest is usually extremely variable. That's not new either, Unreal games also had a proportion of not-as-good ones or bad ones, but they came with so many there was a respectable number of good and very good ones. As for the barrier UE4 imposes, I'm not convinced at all there'll be a smaller percentage of crap maps.
You must construct additional pylons.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Tomorrow there will be a stream or something from Epic, they will clear things up.
Damn someone should ask if they will release the UE1 source
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Even if someone asks that question, I fear the probability of saying YES! will be very less from Epic
But still future is Mistery.
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Unreal Tournament 4

Post by Acid.OMG »

So not sure if there is already a topic but anyone got any official posts on this?

Last I heard it would be free to download, like steam, but since its community based like ut99 any developer can charge for their mods.

After playing 2k4 and UT3 I thought they failed but now I think they finally found a way to "remake" ut99. They are taking the key element of community participation and modding into Unreal Engine 4. And that new aspect I think will finally get dedicated UT99 players to move on to a modern version without all the flaws of 2k4 and UT3

I personally cant wait but I would love more official info
[/Awesome]
Cronoloop
Skilled

Re: Unreal Tournament 4

Post by Cronoloop »

No official info except the stream and some posts on the forums (https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdi ... Tournament)
Seems like the name is Unreal Tournament so this will be some sort of on going project or something.

They'll make a stream this week, don't know the exact day (thought it was tomorrow but I don't know)
Tim-_-
Average

Re: Unreal Tournament 4

Post by Tim-_- »

www.uTournament.net is remaking UT99 in UE4, using whatever assets Epic releases for UT4.