Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Unreal Tournament 4

Post by papercoffee »

Acid.OMG wrote:So not sure if there is already a topic but anyone got any official posts on this?

Last I heard it would be free to download, like steam, but since its community based like ut99 any developer can charge for their mods.

After playing 2k4 and UT3 I thought they failed but now I think they finally found a way to "remake" ut99. They are taking the key element of community participation and modding into Unreal Engine 4. And that new aspect I think will finally get dedicated UT99 players to move on to a modern version without all the flaws of 2k4 and UT3

I personally cant wait but I would love more official info
Aaaaaand merged ...we have already such a discussion running. ;)
ASLY

Re: Unreal Tournament 4

Post by ASLY »

Tim-_- wrote:http://www.uTournament.net is remaking UT99 in UE4, using whatever assets Epic releases for UT4.
But why?... UT is UT with good old one engine! Ok it's okay something new, but I can't believe UT with U4E.
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament

Post by Acid.OMG »

I can. Tired of these boxy graphics and constant mapping issues. Been playing since 2001 and its getting really old
[/Awesome]
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Acid.OMG wrote:I can. Tired of these boxy graphics and constant mapping issues. Been playing since 2001 and its getting really old
That's why I love UT99. Very simple and easy to handle everything. I mean the moving, physics, mapping, etc.
UT Is pure clear, not like the other ones: UT2K4, UT3. I know it's already 2014 and everything will be changed after a time.
For me UT99 will be the best. But anyway I still can't believe UT99 with U4E. If it's a remake, I hope the maps will be not changed.
Like UT99 Deck16][ > UT3 Deck][ - To much detail in the game which is killing the online gaming, that's my viewpoint.
Tim-_-
Average

Post by Tim-_- »

ASLYE702 wrote:I hope the maps will be not changed.
Like UT99 Deck16][ > UT3 Deck][ - To much detail in the game which is killing the online gaming, that's my viewpoint.
Yes! I'll be importing as many popular UT99 maps as possible. The only difference will be the textures and lighting, hopefully.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Tim-_- wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:I hope the maps will be not changed.
Yes! I'll be importing as many popular UT99 maps as possible. The only difference will be the textures and lighting, hopefully.
Great, now It's getting more and more interesting. :tu:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Anybody seen any concept art for the UT4 Skaarj yet?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:Anybody seen any concept art for the UT4 Skaarj yet?
loooool :loool:
Yeah... right, no concept art of anything ...but Skaarj. :wink:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Dr.Flay wrote:Can't wait for the arguments to start.
"No! UT should be more like this"
"No not like that, like this!"
"hell-no! way too much of that, there needs to be more of these"
"Uggg it's to fast"
"No it's too slow"
"To many vehicles!"
"Not enough vehicles"

Like I keep saying; As long as we get the engine and framework, we can make the rest how we want, after they finish messing with what they think we would like.

For me, I know there will not be enough zombies and dinosaurs.

Haha well I for one AM going to that forum and tell them what I want. so there

for one, back in the Quake days we picked shirt color, pants color, I do not like all this kiddyfied robotic mesh cartoon crap at all, at least bring it back to looking like humans. Then you get t'd off at the dude with the orange pants, so you are scanning for orange to go plaster the fwad.

The other, I want it to feel and play like UT99, no double jump.

The weapon I miss the most from Quake are the grenades, you can bounce them without bouncing around like UT, but like a game of pool and you can lay them as you run and not explode right away and NOT FRIGGEN BOUNCE.
I would set people up and make them follow me, and lay those suckers down, or I could effectively bounce them around corners and be fairely accurate, I really hated moving to UT because of that.

And if they redo maps, keep the damn things looking the SAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just make the same map but look nicer, not that hack job they do with some punk college kid going crazy making meshes, then fog, shiny textures.

That's enough for now, loL.

WAIT, no cars no tanks, hover boards, and reduce the damage diameter of the shock ball explosion.

They should add gun turrets you can place, but only last a little while.

Edit------------------ by papercoffee

and that :P

Over 200 posts and still making a double post :ironic2: ...avoid them please.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

I agree on vehicles, but I'm afraid that they will be there. I was checking the forums yesterday and seems like a big part of people want them (why they don't play other games then? mmh). Also, one of the community manager (the woman) used to play vehicles, so....
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I just want to point out that there's yet to appear an UT game where you are "obligated" to play with vehicles. I am not sure what players have against vehicles in UT when the vast majority of the gametypes are played without them.
It's like going to a candy store, and complain that they sell one kind of candy you don't like and that they should stop selling it, when you have plenty of others to buy and you're not obligated to get the kind you don't like. That's just selfish and elitist minded imho.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Well in the case of UT2004, ONS sucked a lot of players out of other gametypes. I'm obviously not suggesting these players would have played DM, CTF, DOM or BR it there had not been ONS, but this shifted the focus of UT2004. UT3 continued, the war gametype featured many things (hoverboard, etc) (and sometimes it overflows into other gametypes, like the Dark Walker in that DM map).
But I agree that in most cases, the existence of vehicles is irrelevant cause you are not forced to play gametypes that feature them. These gametypes, though, tend to take a lot of importance once they're here. Here on UT99, we seem to prefer normal manslaughter and homicide with Shock Rifles, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
You must construct additional pylons.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

If ONS/WAR/VCTF sucked players in, it was because players enjoyed it, it's that simple. If the people that don't like are afraid of having the possibility to play with them just because other (or as you imply: most) will play it because they like to play it, that's the very definition of selfishness and elitism.

Whoever shares the same disliking for vehicles, can freely play without them in the many gametypes available. After having played UT2004 a lot in the past, I liked both vehicular and non-vehicular gametypes, and both had always a lot of players in them. I could play normal weapons or instagib or normal ctf as much as I liked, and then play ONS or VCTF in the same manner, one didn't influence the other.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

The thing is: if we implement a tetris gamestyle and everybody enjoy it, should we keep going into that direction or maybe rediscover what an arena shooter is? Because from my understanding, arena shooter doesn't know what a vehicle is (and shouldn't). So we better make a new game that has the tetris gamemode as a core, exploring new features about it instead of limiting them

I'm not saying to remove ONS etc. Just that they don't fit into my vision of arena shooter. If you want to play with vehicles and big warfare, there are better suited games IMO ! Personally I enjoyed vehicles for one or two months, they get boring pretty quickly (also, the ridicolous movement system in 2k4 and the gigantic maps didn't help at all)

edit: hope you get what my mean ^^