Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
2_Face
Novice
Personal rank: 2_Face

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament

Post by 2_Face »

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I last played ut or even mapped for it but this whole new ut thing makes me want to start playing again.
Me, personally, I like ut2k4 style but I know there are a lot of oldschool lovers out there. I allways said that the best ut would be made by the community so I hope they will listen to the community for this one and wont just assume what we want and act like they are listening to us.

The only way to make this game really big and not turn it into a failure is adding a kind of muttator or gametype to switch between ut99 speed/movement/weapons styles and ut2k4 gametype and that way you keep the whole ut community together playing different gametypes but playing the same game. Becouse from time to time we all try new game types even if we're not really into it... Just for the lolz (as people say).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote: I say no CTF, no cars, ONS or onslut, flags, huge maps, ah well. and eliminate the shock rifle and the translocator.

there hows that !!! :tongue:
And the LMS ...who need this?
The Sniper Rifle, meh, useless. kick it out.
Assault? out out OUT!!
Ripper, Pulse, Minni ....throw it away !!!

So did I miss something?

:ironic:
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

papercoffee wrote:
Red_Fist wrote: I say no CTF, no cars, ONS or onslut, flags, huge maps, ah well. and eliminate the shock rifle and the translocator.

So did I miss something?

The Redeemer?? :mrgreen:
Gunner
Novice

Post by Gunner »

Charlo wrote:The most important thing with a new UT is that it needs to be easy for people to make maps. The original UT was so successful because anybody could make a map that looked just as good as the stock maps, if they put in a small amount of effort. 2004 and UT3 looked fantastic, but it took too much work for the average player to make a map that even came close to the expected level of detail and realism.

Anyway, I'm excited for this.
I'm afraid it most likely won't.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Thing about the redeemer is, it's pretty easy to not get killed just by hanging out behind a corner or pillar. Or quickly move to safe area.

I really don't have complaints about the cars, like others said you can just not play those gametypes. I was never a team game player is basically it.

All though I would ban the translocator, and reduce the damage diameter of the shock combo for DM playing.
and keep the feel of UT99.

Still want my Quake 1 grenades if anyone can make em, just a small time delay, and waaaaaaaaaaay less buoyancy bouncy.
But a few bounces to angle off walls, say a max of 3~4 bounces max.

I wonder what we do end up with, all pretty cool. !
Binary Space Partitioning
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Didn't hear mention of these forums in the latest Twitch recording so..

https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdi ... Tournament

that's where to start , ATM they are focusing on Movement and have already made some 'Prototypes' which sound interesting.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... -Prototype

more information;

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... ion-so-far
Spoiler
Thoughts on Movement Mechanics discussion so far

We've been following all the great discussions going on in this forum, and lots of well thought out proposals. I really appreciate the blueprint prototypes some of you have been creating - it's good to see the discussion threads popping up about them in this forum. One of our designers, Nick Donaldson, whipped one up to try out some movement ideas we'd been chatting about in the office. Blueprint based prototypes are a fantastic way to effectively demonstrate ideas and allow others to provide useful feedback. I encourage everyone to get involved building prototypes (you can use Nick's test level as a starting point - it is available on GitHub) and providing feedback on the prototypes.

I thought I'd share with you some of the movement related ideas we've been talking about at Epic. Most of these mirror or are based on the proposals we've seen here in this forum.

Our preference is to move back toward the level scale and weapon balance of UT99. At the same time, we want to provide as much as possible the freedom of movement and sense of mastery that UT2K4 movement could provide. We also want to make sure that the movement system is accessible and not overwhelming for new players - we want the community to grow and thrive. For now, we should also decouple our thinking about movement in the much more open and large scale vehicle oriented maps - it's reasonable that we may choose some unique mechanics that work for those environments.
It seems clear that Unreal Tournament will have dodging. I don't think it would be recognizably UT without that mechanic. We should keep the double tap control scheme, but at the same time provide an alternative way to trigger dodging for people that aren't comfortable with the double tap.
We're leaning toward not having double jump in the base movement mechanics, and instead increasing the default jump height.
We're experimenting (as you can see in Nick's prototype) with providing the ability to get up over edges that you couldn't quite reach with your jump. This allows us to decouple how high we let players jump from what geometry it seems like you should be able to clear.
We're experimenting with wall dodge - we like the mechanic, and want to make it work well in more normally scaled levels. We're also thinking about whether we'd allow wall dodges to be chained. If we do, we'd make sure that the vertical velocity of the wall dodge was minimal (or zero), so you wouldn't be able to climb, and would actually still be dropping as you performed them.
Wall running, or possibly dodging along walls, is also an interesting mechanic to explore.
The feeling of weight in movement is a combination of gravity and view adjustments when jumping and landing. This gives us some flexibility in coming up with mechanics that are balanced and at the same time feel good.
I really encourage you guys to keep coming up with movement ideas that go beyond what UT has done in the past. We probably won't incorporate most of them, but they help us all expand our thinking, and a few of them may be the key to creating the perfect movement mechanics for the new Unreal Tournament.

There's a lot more we want to discuss that we've been hearing from you and are getting excited about ourselves, so lets keep this conversation going!

Steve Polge
and here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... ics-Design
Spoiler
UT Movement Mechanics Design

Movement Mechanics is the first design topic we will be focusing on. Epic’s team will be very actively participating in the discussions in this subforum.

The UT Movement Mechanics subforum should be used for all discussions about the design of the core movement mechanics of Unreal Tournament. In some ways, it would have been nice to establish our open design process with a less controversial topic, but as movement mechanics are absolutely fundamental to the game and have major implications for other essential game systems (like level design and weapon design**), we really have to start here.

It won’t be possible to end up with a result that perfectly pleases everyone. However, I know we can end up with mechanics that feel true to Unreal Tournament, are well balanced, and enable great gameplay. While of course with mods you’ll be able to customize the movement mechanics however you’d like, it’s still vital that we establish core movement mechanics that define Unreal Tournament for general gameplay.

Please read these tips (link to sticky on how to contribute) on how to be an effective design contributor.

The initial discussions on this forum will lead to a paper design that we will implement provide a rough initial implementation of in our Deathmatch Alpha. With the Deathmatch Alpha we’ll iterate on and polish the movement mechanics based on everyone’s feedback. Once the movement mechanic design is complete, we’ll also be able to establish level design guidelines and start working on weapon design and balance.

We love seeing the movement prototypes being created! This is a fantastic way to experiment, and to demonstrate and iterate on your ideas. We'd love to see more people working on prototypes, or working with prototype developers on refining their ideas.

With that out of the way, I’m going to summarize the movement elements we are going to be talking about:

General Movement:
• Running speed (in the past has been the same forward/back/strafing)
• Acceleration (how fast you change direction when moving)
• Air control (how much you can affect the direction of your movement while in the air)
• Jump height
• Gravity (affects how floaty the game feels. With higher gravity, even if the jump impulse is modified to result in the same jump height, you’ll spend less time in the air)
• Dodging (fast low jump in any of the 4 cardinal movement directions, with a sudden deceleration on landing)
• Double jump (past titles only allowed the double jump to occur at the apex of the jump. UT2004 allowed double jump during dodge, UT3 did not/)
• Wall dodge (ability to perform a dodge while in the air away from a nearby vertical surface)
• Impact/Rocket jumping (ability to jump extra high by jumping while point impact hammer down or using other splash/impulse providing weapon at cost of some health).
• Team boosting (ability to provide impact/rocket jumping benefits to teammates, who take no damage in normal teamgames)

Level Designer constrained movement features:
• Ramp boosting (ability to scale a near vertical surface by dodging into it, possible on any near vertical surface in UT2003, and only on LD permitted surfaces in UT2004)
• Lift jumping (taking advantage of lift momentum to get a boost to your jump at the top of the lift’s path)
• Jumppads (provide a long distance jump to a specific destination)

We can also certainly discuss and consider new movement elements.

** For example, the movement mechanics in UT2003 and UT2004 biased the game toward hitscan weapons, and also caused scale issue with interior levels which had to be built to support large scale jumps. This isn’t meant to bash those movement mechanics, which were also a lot of fun, but to point out the consequences of the design.

Last edited by Steven Polge; 05-14-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Also some interesting video clips here

Added this;

[youtube][/youtube]
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:New recording up (says 9 hours ago)

Saw this posted on their youtube around the same time [youtube]XupPMjJB0-8[/youtube]
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

papercoffee wrote:

there hows that !!! :tongue:
And the LMS ...who need this?
The Sniper Rifle, meh, useless. kick it out.
Assault? out out OUT!!
Ripper, Pulse, Minni ....throw it away !!!

So did I miss something?

Deck16][

Shit map ^^

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

lol what?

anyway.... ;)

Image :loool:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Chamberly wrote:lol what?

anyway.... ;)

Image :loool:
:loool: :loool: :loool:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Did anyone catch the latest one? Doesn't appear on past broadcasts :( They moved it to /UnrealTournament right?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Yeah but even on /UnrealTournament it doesn't appear on pastbroadcasts (/UnrealTournament/profile/pastbroadcasts/). I thought this streamed a while ago so it's not twitch. I guess they forgot to make it public this time? Anyhow It's at their youtube which means I can embed it :D

[youtube]7ctETijplhU&list[/youtube]

And Flay I dunno if you should add this to your list or not, it's not official. http://www.reddit.com/r/unrealtournament

All official videos or anything worthy would be upvoted to the top, or maybe I'm just a fan of reddit.
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Erm..UT4?

Post by Torax »

Accidentally found this at MODDB.

Does anybody heard about this project? What's your opinion?

Sorry if similar post was appeared before, somewhere on the forums. Maybe i just missed it out)
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Merged it ;)
BTW. nice find, I forgot to check Moddb for it.