Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Merged the topics.

Epic's forums were attacked and for a while now I can't open them. :|
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

We have confirmation: Not much readers of this forum "OFF TOPIC". This site is named ut99.org. Nothing else is UT'99. Any official update for UT'99 ? NO. :thudown: Will anyone officially improve UT'99 (patch xxxx) ? NO ? Then what ?

Go and post your problems about the newer Windows10 in that site where people are talking about Win98SE :loool: .
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

True, true.

Moved to off-topic, didn't notice it was in the wrong section :P
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Think I had a MASSIVE Skaarj-gasm:

More · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/105199.html
Additive elsewhere ·

Source of screenshots:
YG9Fj0ep0QY
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I actually like this unofficial version more... It looks more Skaarj-ish.
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/sho ... post191214
But I would have no problem if Epic would call the official model a Skaarj Hybrid... I'm a huge fan of them.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

I love these new skaarjs, they hit the perfect spot between the agile ones from UT2004 and the brutal ones from Unreal/UT, IMHO.
You must construct additional pylons.
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

I finally tried the alpha. And i don't want to be a dick but i kinda hate it. I think it feels aweful and "heavy". I might get old but it seems like i got to stick with 99 for the rest of my life.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

This map looks a little too real!
8ZJY5Z5DxcU
Actual combat action about halfway through the video.

Source · https://forums.unrealtournament.com/sho ... giant-map)
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Found a fun little chat on the Skaarj language · https://forums.unrealtournament.com/sho ... j-Language
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Post by Phorce »

This all looks interesting but I'm trying not to be too skeptical. Paying for an editor. Pay to mod ? Is this like Pay to Play as it used to be for music bands ? Modding has already shrunk first with UT 2004 although that was still big and then with UT3, that although big, is noticeably smaller number of mods/mutators/maps being produced. So I don't think paying for an editor and engine updates is going to exactly encourage modding.

So have any of you guys been on their forums ? Is it an honest operation or more corporate BS ? I've decided that in game design everything comes down to 1. Graphic Design, 2. Art Direction and 3. Extensive play testing with good feed back to developers. Over the last few years a number of notable games seem to have borked this entire process, for example the Battlefield 3 franchise has been appalling after BF2 (with possible exception of Bad Company). UT 2004 was OK, but UT3 has some very weird design decisions, even if there is still a good game in there.

Now, the massive exception to this entire Pc gaming fiasco - for example see https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/ , esp. the "Why Pc?" link at the top (an enormous massive rant about PC gaming and its problems that actually makes a lot of sense with a huge amount of evidence provided) - for me has been Assassins Creed Black Flag which, even if you don't like Pirates, is a very well honed piece of game play design (in fact some of its simplicity reminds me of the original UT). I notice this game has had a prominent Director who seems to have a strong personality and has been more like a film director by the look of it who is willing to put his rep on the line and call the shots. So will UT4 be game designed by committee or is anyone actually at the helm ?
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You don't have to pay for the mods if the modder decide so... but if the modder like to have 1 dollar for his master piece of a mod ...well ...no one is forced to buy it and can wait and get a similar mod for free. Maybe one of Kaal's repacks. :twisted:
But if you want to have a triple damage Redeemer which can fire Skaarjs and the modder want some money for it, then it's up to you if you really want this mod and pay for it.
Phorce wrote:So have any of you guys been on their forums ? Is it an honest operation or more corporate BS ? I've decided that in game design everything comes down to 1. Graphic Design, 2. Art Direction and 3. Extensive play testing with good feed back to developers. Over the last few years a number of notable games seem to have borked this entire process, for example the Battlefield 3 franchise has been appalling after BF2 (with possible exception of Bad Company). UT 2004 was OK, but UT3 has some very weird design decisions, even if there is still a good game in there.
Many things are designed by the community. Some weapon designs came from members of the forum and they got a contract to finish it. Only the core basic character designs are made by Epic alone. But those designs are very generic and the community started already to alter them.
The whole design direction is predefined by Epic and his crew ...what fits will get into the game ...what doesn't fit directly can be placed on the marketplace.
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Post by Phorce »

OK, I had a look. This could be really good. I notice Epic say they are still working out their system so the free game/pay for some mods could change.

Downloaded and the launcher is bugged and won't login even though I have an account.Found this thread and even though the error message is different using "Forgot your password?" in the launcher fixes the bug ! Downloading now. The Epic Launcher once past the login looks re-markedly like Origin or Uplay :roll:. But if Epic can just make fun games then fair play to them :mrgreen:.

EDIT: Got into the offline game. Actually this is all a lot more advanced than I thought. "Pre Alpha" sounded like barely being able to draw a sky or render a texture. Looks interesting but I'm gonna have to wait for me 4 to 8 gig upgrade as I'm getting the same problem I've been getting on the more recent games. My memory maxes out and everything starts stuttering. Everything is fine when I switch textures to low and everything else to the highest (apart from AA which I don't use). The graphics design and art direction ... well there seems to be one there ! The graphics looks a lot cleaner and more thought out than UT3. There''s some interesting things going on with the engine that actually seem to be increasing immersion rather than just being there to blind with science ...

But what they really need is FOG ! ...

:loool:
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Oh HELL the fuck yes! Someone's working on my fave UT map:
UUxHzMeK_Y4
Looks like the gravity is a little stronger than it should be, and obviously it's not that detailed yet.

Thread · http://tinyurl.com/nftrvsc