Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Post by Carbon »

EvilGrins wrote:Whatever you think of UT4, the folks on ProUnreal hate it with an unholy passion· http://www.prounreal.org/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
Hyperbole much? Followed the link and don't see much hatred let alone unholy passion.

Anyhow, it seems like all of the old boys don't like the game and that's fine; insatiable, living in the past, rose-colored glasses, the comfy old shoes....call it what you will but for these types nothing will be good enough.

Gaming like it's 1999.

Lawbreakers looks fun...Cliff will get my money.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Carbon wrote:Hyperbole much? Followed the link and don't see much hatred let alone unholy passion.
Not really. You saw 1 thread of a whole forum.

Trust me, they REALLY don't like UT4.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

EvilGrins wrote:
Carbon wrote:Hyperbole much? Followed the link and don't see much hatred let alone unholy passion.
Not really. You saw 1 thread of a whole forum.

Trust me, they REALLY don't like UT4.
Ah, ok. I just read the one you linked, which wasn't so hateful.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Problem is they want acrobatics, it's just a bunch of jumping around so the kids can master their skills. I played some, and the whole thing is all about jumping. No matter what game it is I never do "moves" never dodge never did.

Same kinda thing happened with Quake 3, not about the rocket, it's about the rocket jump. and big maps, UT2003-4 since then all the maps are to big. and meshed to death, just not impressed.
Then they kiddyfied the sounds, or the gibbs that look so graphic but not as trying to gross me out, just stupid looking.

Then that logon crap, I hate it.UT3
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:Problem is they want acrobatics, it's just a bunch of jumping around so the kids can master their skills. I played some, and the whole thing is all about jumping. No matter what game it is I never do "moves" never dodge never did.
The simple forward/backward/strafe/dodge of UT99 has its charm, but I can see why people want more abilites. Running in circles in a map shooting each others is only fun for so many people and for so long. You can't do the exact same mechanics over and over again or your game has nothing to stand out.
Red_Fist wrote:Same kinda thing happened with Quake 3, not about the rocket, it's about the rocket jump.
That's like complaining about UT being too much about the sniper rifle and shock combo and not enough about the flak or the biorifle.
Red_Fist wrote:and big maps, UT2003-4 since then all the maps are to big. and meshed to death, just not impressed.
Well I'm so in love with UT2 I could marry it, so I'm not exactly objective, but 1) meshed to death is not a problem in itself as long as collision isn't retarded, 2) Maps are big but movements have much more amplitude, so you have to change the volumes of the levels. Also, UT2 might have double for jumps and dodges and the walldodge, but it's quite tame as far as special movements go. It's no Q3A or W§w.
Red_Fist wrote:Then that logon crap, I hate it.UT3
Yeah that was rubbish. That entire game was.
You must construct additional pylons.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Red_Fist wrote:Problem is they want acrobatics, it's just a bunch of jumping around so the kids can master their skills.

...all the maps are to big. and meshed to death, just not impressed.
I'm all right with the dodging. It adds another element to gameplay and more opportunities for strategic play. I do wish, however, that there was an option/mutator to disable it on some maps.

"meshed to death" is exactly right. There's a real charm and cleanliness to maps that are pure BSP.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I did really good in Quake 1, always in the top 3, so that's how I play, run and gun, aim, strategy, using correct weapon.

It's not UT with the acrobats, go play final fight and learn the moves, not UT.

I mean how many army guys run around a field doing double jumps ? :P
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

But do we really need that precious realism in Unreal? :P
You must construct additional pylons.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

yes some people crows from under a stone amd compare ut 99 with ut 4.
The movement of the skins are very simular like ut 99 in ut4.
i did see some ready maps and it looks very good.
i hope for a short time in the future the final release wil be released and i hope very soon.
Maby it will takes a whole year to complete.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

rjmno1 wrote:yes some people crows from under a stone amd compare ut 99 with ut 4.
The movement of the skins are very simular like ut 99 in ut4.
i did see some ready maps and it looks very good.
i hope for a short time in the future the final release wil be released and i hope very soon.
Maby it will takes a whole year to complete.
Longer ...this game is still pre-Alpha, everything is try and error.
sektor2111
Godlike

Unreal Tournament will not be [UT4]

Post by sektor2111 »

Unhealthy Bump.
After reading RSS about UT4 at Skillz sent by some robot, I can see that I was right as many many times since I'm playing UT. Whoever is doing changes to this game/engine (EPIC included) it doesn't make it to feel as UT. Comments which I have read seems relevant - being on UT99 I can say only <Long Life UT> (and I'm speaking about UT'99) and some admin should change this false TITLE because UT4 doesn't even sounds/looks as Future of Unreal Tournament.
At this moment I see a single comment encouraging development (probably is the man with hopes) - but I'm afraid it will be disappointed based on null hopes. The rest of comments want changes reverted... LOL.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Agreed.

The past is the future, and the future is the past.

Ut99 feels and plays better than any of its successors IMHO.

And we ain't done writing it yet. :rock: :tu: 8) :mrgreen: :lol2:
blarg
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

How to make a succesful UT.
Fully rebuild UT99 one a new engine, keep the scripting for ez modding, flexibilize models/skins implementation, keep visuals colorful and not-shader dependant, and listen to coders instead of designers so they can implement lag compensation/game modifications without resorting to ugly hacks (aka gain more modding entry points in code).

But no, they made the same mistake for a 3rd time and completely tried to reinvent the wheel using a hammer instead of a chisel.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Because it's still in the prototype phase ...you don't use a scalpel when you want to cut a tree.
Even sculpting starts with a huge block of dirt before you get to the details.

UT99 is not what the player nowadays want, they want a better UT99 with new stuff in it. I don't mean us old veterans I mean the new flesh.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:UT99 is not what the player nowadays want, they want a better UT99 with new stuff in it. I don't mean us old veterans I mean the new flesh.
Each of us in his/her life was facing things which belongs to past, but they were ours we have spent good times and we don't need to get so called news. Excuse me but UT is just UT discarding ages and tastes. Whatever might be done if it feels different, then it is not UT because Opel is not Audi even they can race on the same street. What they did was just trying to call Audi a vehicle which is Opel all day long. They simply developed other thing (loved by specific ages - which is not bad for new flesh and I sustain their tastes specific for age) but this doesn't means it is UT because it's not, and it's annoying like hell to hear that this new "UT4" will be UT because it won't ever be UT ignoring what they say. UT has flew on window but new flesh doesn't know that because simple their life was getting late they have been born too late and missing times with 800 UT Servers having players. I want to see if this will happen again with UT4 and then we can compare results (taking in account Internet options from 2k year). I guess we know results already, we live in age where even a toilette has Internet (taking a shit and reading e-mail >> multitasking so to speak).
To summarize when you want to play UT get here, speak, ask help, and get out with UT4 because that's not UT, so it's pointless to speak that a Cow is Pig because they are not, even if their blood has the same RED color. In a forum called UT99 where people are crawling daily this means addiction for this game and if something is not agreed it can be free 100 years and UT99's addicted guys won't change their way too soon. Seriously, If I'm loving a woman and she is mine I have -200 reasons to leave her - Capish ???

Also I'm agree with Higor to allow modding, making restrictive coding rules and failing roots leads nowhere and this won't capture my attention.

Then for these sudden topics... perhaps bullshitting UT4-UT is sustained by ignorance: HAVE YOU TESTED NEW ENGINE EXTENSION done by HIGOR ? HUH ? How does it work compared with UT4 (resources, speed, etc.) When my goals are about to be completed, now I have to leave ? Nope... te, he... a new life in UT99 has started for me... As said by LoathSome we are not done with coding yet...