Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament

Post by Spectra »

papercoffee wrote: Yup I know ...it's yours. You using Chrome. :mrgreen:
Try FF-Portable ...no install necessary and runs without a hitch.
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Thanks for that! Nowadays I really hate FireFox. I found Chrome Better. Also protects you from downloading any Malicious tools, etc.
Btw I am wondering what is the meaning of line "Cannot Connect to the Real forums.EpicGames"??
Is there any fake EpicGames Forums?? :loool:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Rocky wrote:Also protects you from downloading any Malicious tools, etc.
Haha ...that's great, a malicious tool protect you from malicious tools. :lol2:

Use Firefox and get the noScript plugin and set Flash an Java to "ask to activate" ...no malicious tool has a chance. :wink:

So, and now back to topic.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

This sounds positive..

moving the whole game itself to a new engine is exactly what UT needs to move forwards.
From what we've all seen the UE1-2 engines have been pushed to their limits and can no longer cater for the diverse range of imagination all of UT's communities combined have encompassed.
there is so much more that can be done to this game if/when it is allowed to be ported to a Newer Engine.

in terms of development I would guess that the language would still be identical ... and most all current/past dev's would be comfortable with its IDE.

for players the new Engines Abilities would blow everyone away with the whole experience.

for mod makers it would open a whole new world to play with in the Unreal Universe.

imagine NOT being limited in your capacity to realize your vision.. or be stumped due to an outdated Engine that no-one really cares about.. or rather , those who do care .. are limited by legalities and politics.

All I can see is endless possibilities for this project and costs would be minimum even from a Developer POV..

not sure what EPIC feels about allowing PC's vs PS3 vs XBOX vs Whatever.. but bringing this universal interaction would IMO make things very interesting.

Learning from the Anticheat legends that UT has bought us.. perhaps we could address one of the main problems UT died from ...

Also lag compensation methods , allowing entire countries to combat.

the list goes on.

all in all I eagerly look forwards to what may come.

cheers.

just thinking about sword fights and other unarmed combat styled abilities which UT is limited by , also the Mc Escher type Map's .. Portals and more.

the conundrum would be with 2k4 which also had a rather descent following.. however I feel that the two should be separate entities IMO

too many differences from voice's to player dynamics.. however.. perhaps allowing or implementing the gametypes could be a good start.

vehicles / monsters / all that stuff.. would be awesome.. with much better graphics / ragdoll physics and all the rest .

finally leave the gore in tact...

^ is what made it unreal to begin with.

Edit----------------- by papercoffee

Http://playforgg.wordpress.com/2014/04/ ... al-sequel/

Http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=36326773

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/98 ... Tournament

Http://otforums.varitechllc.com/index.php

D:p

*cough*You can edit your posts again yourself*cough*
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Nice links ya got there Wises, but it might be that that won't be the message Epic will tell at May 8...
http://martyscarnagecompany.com/forums/ ... postid-325
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Well .... with yet another new fancy engine I bet they focus on FX as usual and lesser on gameplay. But one can only hope! I wonder how much the map size will grow this time? Man they went quite a step from ut2k4 to ut3.

Whatever gets released in the Unreal series will find a place on my shelves though :mrgreen: - if they will be played depends solely on the gameplay - I can't be bought with fancy FX hehe
Retired.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

^cheerz..

It appears to be a separate community based project which was concieved prior to epics plans on the 8th

Be interesting to see what becomes of both IMO.

;)

@Dane , see what happens thursday ... then take it from there ;)

@paper , soz mate cheers.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

People just need to read the original UT text.
My UT site still has a reference to it beneath the name http://yourunreal.wordpress.com
That site is my view from the top of that pile ;)

It is not about "Space-marines" and military stuff.

Read the biographies of the teams and players.
Think back to the gladiators in the Roman arenas, and extrapolate forwards into the future to UT.
The mechanics and style of Chaos for UT2004 exemplifies what "The Tournament" was all about, and may of the maps feel more UT than UT, as they are actual arenas.

The maps will be bigger, but the Tournament style does not always scale.

I've said it before, look at the stuff the community makes if you want to know what UT should be.
It seems we like monsters by the truck-load, and things to ride around on.
The RPG mod for UT2004 is a great way to add level-ups in a fluid manner that never makes it feel like you are playing an RPG.
Strangelove has created a wealth of variations and insanity, with rocket CTF being the fastest CTF you will find.
The Battle-Bikes mod for 2K4 felt like a perfect match for UT.
Low-grav jump-matches are also a staple diet for fun arena fragging.
I'd like the scenery and decos to be more interactive and breakable, so you can use more objects as weapons or traps.

We live in a more on-line world than ever, so the tournament should be matched to that.
Servers and games can up and download, or fetch from redirects etc.
I think it is about time you get to "keep what you kill".
rather than classes and choosing your load-out for battle, you should be able to take a limited selection of weapons, vehicles and kit from other matches into any battle.
I have noticed this in the DayZ game, where people will harvest from one server and go to another.
This can be, and is abused, so building it in as a known factor, and making it part of play, means you get to balance it.

Warning! Being Unreal Tournament and not class-based, all your tech-advantages can be taken from you with a carefully aimed bullet.
A player could swap between player models and build team abilities, creating a class system without needing a class system.
Adding a touch of SP feel to a MP game.
It would make people move around servers much more.
I would like to be able to take a couple of my own bots into team games. This may help if you die near your bots, as they can collect your kit and hopefully you find each-other before someone kills them and gets all your stuff.
Actual league Tournaments should move from server to server, just like real sports events.
UT200x spawned the surprisingly popular sport of bombing-run, as it really encourages team play, where people know their role.
The UT99 Olympics mod makes me think there is also a possibility for more of a sporting direction.

Think Roller-ball. Think Deathrace 2000 (the originals obviously), and the theatrics of American wrestling.
Ultra-violent but fantasy and tongue-in-cheek.

I always thought "Why is the UT ladder a local thing?"
Why make an SP ladder, when the Tournament is the ladder ?
Servers should have a waiting map like Unreal has, where you get to see each-other and chat before the bell rings.
Jailbreak players regularly get a private room in-game where they can meet the team.
Imagine waiting in a bar-map, where you can meet and greet, and pick a fight with someone.
Finally the UT taunts and gestures would make sense, as nobody ever sees them. It is all well and good shouting WOO-HA! at someone you just sniped, but they have already spawned somewhere and are more interested in looking for a gun.
You could issue private challenges before a fight so your interactions score more, or give bonuses.
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

As great as some of these ideas might be, I hope they keep the game simple pickup and play arcade style fun. I'm personally not really into stats and numbers and being super social, I just want to log onto a server and have a quick battle for 5, 10 or 20 minutes and thats it.
It's something I always enjoyed about the UT Series and other games such as Quake 3 Arena, Warsow, Xonotic etc. you just hop in and have fun, no gazillion of menus and stat pages. You just pick a model or make/bring in your own if the game allows for custom models (a feature I hope they keep in the future for UT), enter a nickname and a password (if one is required) and you're ready to go.

I think if they were to implement stuff in that direction, it needs to be simple and shouldn't get in the way of having fun, it should happen in the background or be optional, only there for you to see and utilize if you want to do so.
Maybe I'm just happy with the way things still are in games like UT99, UT2k4 and even UT3 to an extend, I guess I'm one of those "If it ain't broken don't fix it" fellas, but honestly I don't have much against expanding on the tried and working, but it should also be up to the user if they want it. For example if I don't want to go into a "lobby" I shouldn't have to, I could just jump right into the map and wait for the match to start there, maybe battle people who are also waiting there in the mean time.

In short, I just want tings to remain simple and easy so confusion is kept to the minimum for new and older players alike. But in the end I guess it's all a question of how these features are implemented.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

Noice agree with both.. parties.

A few additionals i guess i would like to see ;

A sprint key... with exersion (100 meter dash) then normal.. with breathing lite/heavy..

A Rage function... for when a player goes all out shooting all over the show...

A tier based system which records / stores on a universal db all players levels ,
Based on the players skill level / rank ... servers are listed with similar leveled players.
^ eliminate the problem of elite vs nub ... and marries each class of player based on players actual avilities.

^ for competative game modes of course... not All game modes.

In terms of versions... differences...

Personally I prefer UT99 as player-models feel lighter more agile.. also more realistic characters imo.
Where others may prefer 2k4 ... heavier more weighty scifi characters... then ut3 1 ton truck characters..

^ i think in respect to all players ... why not mix the lot up... :)

So agile / heavy / slugish (maybe) players... hmm.. there would likely be different hit points in this case for hand to hand combat.

Which adds another dynamic... some kinda streetfighter/teken/ boxing jujitsu mix..
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Wises wrote: A sprint key... with exersion (100 meter dash) then normal.. with breathing lite/heavy..
No problem with most of what you said but that. Oh my god, please let it never happen, this is the opposite of what I want to see in an Unreal game. The simple existence of such a function in an Unreal game would absolutely deter me from it.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Let them all put this into the new UT, but also make it all defeatable and adjustable. Then I'll have no problem with all this.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Well as I pointed out, my ideas are just based on existing concepts, individually already long proven in UT, but as I see it, UT already has a bunch of menus and stuff anyway. I'll explain my comparisons;

Your bots and weapons are already listed in the main menus. You can organise your faves before battle, but you don't have to.
Nothing is different, only instead of it being the order you like, it can also be your weapons of choice.
You can already carry more guns in UT than any other game, and since the original Unreal has always supported inventory and pickups.
Optional. You still have the default weapons and pickups in the map. You just may prefer to take you favourite rifle with you.

"Earning/unlocking" weapons is as easy as shooting someone in the head, and taking it. You do it already, so why not simply keep them ?
Optional. Don't want to keep a weapon, don't pick it up.

You already have to select your bots for teams in the ladder, why not take them online ? You already invest a heap of time into them.
Optional. Servers have house bots, and team balancing.

The RPG mod for UT2004, as I pointed out, does not turn UT into Skyrim or WoW. It just sits in the back-ground and uses your scores to create an on-the-fly stats system. It also works for bots, so they can also level-up.
The "abilities" you unlock are mostly just the effects you get when you pick up a relic. Other abilities such as re-spawning with the weapons you had before you died can be enabled.
I have spent stats on the healing ability, so if I shoot my them it heals them instead of doing damage. No stopping to inject or use shock pads or whatever, just shoot.
I quite like the pickups for summoning monsters to attack the enemy, though you can develop it as a skill, so you have a pet.
In 2K4 I may go many many games before ever opening the menu to spend stats. You completely forget it is running, as it is not a game-mode. It never changes your objective.
So again optional. You never ever have to open the menu if you never want to allocate your stats (but you will still collect points and level-up). You can completely ignore it.
Try it if you have UT2004. I f*cking hate RPGs precisely because I can't be bothered with all that time-consuming grind, and boring inventory juggling , so it must fit UT or I wouldn't use it. It is nothing like playing an actual RPG.

UT already has a minimal selection of melee weapons, because they are not much fun (except the chainsaw)
Junk-Wars for 2K4, litters the map with everyday objects you can use against your enemy. You can dish the damage with everything from a machete to an electric guitar, and defend yourself with bin-lids and riot-shields.
Optional. They are just part of the scenery but sometimes you just want to see who will win in a fight with a sword and a baseball bat.

Even the simple class-based system in Unreal 2 XMP, is too much messing about for me, and you have to make annoying choices while in the server, which I think are better done before you join a game.
Got your team wrong ? All dead ? don't worry, the server will add some Noobots.
Got your load-out wrong ? so-what? you'll get the opportunity to ransack a weapon locker or prise something from your enemy ingame, same as normal.
So again totally optional.

Bombing-run was simply an unexpected massive hit, same as Invasion which U1 got as monster-hunt type games

You miss the point of the "lobby" (I was just expanding on it, as in Unreal you are alone in a cell)
It is not in Unreal for silly entertainment. It is there to keep the feel of the game while you wait for map data.
Again this exists and is already optional. So feel free to stare at a progress bar or some numbers on a blank screen if you prefer.
While a server waits for all players to click signify they are ready, a match cannot start. This is already so.
Some games do not let you in until the next round starts.
Some servers are already full, and you really want in, so waiting with the other players would be preferable to hovering over the mouse key, staring at the server list.
At the end of the match, the lowest scoring players could be moved to the loosers-lounge, and you get cycled in.
If it is team games, it could be winning team stays in.
Great for real tournaments with real competitors and leagues.
Great to keep you from sitting moving your mouse pointer in circles while you wait for the HUGE downloads you will come to know and love.
Some people whine and moan about the large size of modern UT99 maps, but you wait til you are sat tapping your fingers as 50 MB or more is regularly coming your way !

None of that stops UT from being what it is. A modular game that is fluid and arcade-like as soon as you enter the arena.
Things can be done in a fluid way, as long as they are not forced or out of place.
The mods that stood the test of time. They are what makes UT what it is.

If truly all that is needed is a nicer looking and sounding version of what we already have, then I already have that when I play UT in Unreal 227 with all the extras enabled, and hi-the various hi-res replacements.
Will I have Invader-Zim, Spiderman, Stewie or Cartman for UT4 ?
I doubt it.
Will it have Chaos ?
Will it have Nali Weapons ?
Certainly not, but if they learn nothing from mods like these, it doesn't matter what the do or don't put in, and it will be a hollow echo of the Tournament.

Building the "Tournament" back in, is the important thing. That can create the "plot" so no pointless SP style story mode is needed like UT3.
As stated, "pickup-and-play" is the key factor. Once in-game you just run and shoot.
No sprint-key, the opposite. If you need to go slow crouch or walk. You already "sprint" in UT and have to slow to a walk.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Ah, bombing run, one of the best mods in UT2003/4, but so little good maps, it's the real tragedy of UT.

As for SP: make it an actual tournament. Create a complete ladder system like a sport game. After all, that was the goal in the 2003 design and that's the core of what Unreal is, just copy/paste the market for players and the ladder systems from any FIFA or PES game and slap UT weapons onto it, bam, insta-good.
"This year, the Thundercrash team has seen the departure of Tamerlan who was recruited by the Juggernaut team to reinfoce their Bombing Run line up, thanks to a 1.500.000 offer and 200.000 monthly salary. To replace him, the Thundercrash have bought Loque who will assume the position of S&D for DM, CTF and TDM".

"In other news, the Metal Guard team has ascended to League A after coming out first of the Galactic Division. They will meet, among others, the Blood Fist team, which has won the championship last year but failed to make it to the qualification rounds for the Grand tournament after being defeated in the Imperial Division ascencion, and on its home turf, by the Corrupt team who had been lended two defender players by the Mercenaries and the Anubans. The leader of Blood Fist, Mandible, has made an inflamatory comment about the situation:
"- Without this Sapphire bitch we'd be drowning in prize money and targeting system updates, she's going down."
The Federal Board has announced Blood Fist would take a 6.000.000 penalty on its yearly budget as a punishment for lack of fairplay. Several automatons, including Corrosion and Visor, have notified their desire to leave the team and find new clubs."

"The Royal Wedding between Diva and Horus will be celebrated during the 1/4 finale of the Nakhti Championship and will feature three days of Invasion, Domination and Double Domination matches. A full Gen M'o Kai team and a delegation of the Skaarj Teethed Sword clan will participate along with the royal team, two Nightmare newcomers and a special appearance by Malcolm, who declared "Dis black ass ain't gonna miss dat fu'nuthing, the Anubans and Nakthis is my brathers 'cause they got srsly dark skintons, ah like me dat!"

"Finally, be advised that the Liandri will organise a gala Capture the Flag match on the new Face2 arena, to the benefit of the Poor, Orphans and Wounded (POW). The Emperor will be in attendance."

Yeah, I'd play that game.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Yup you get it.
2004 was almost there conceptually. you had the crowds of cheering fans and the announcer really makes it feel like TV, and razzmatazz, rather than just a battle-field.

Being delivered into the map/arena needs to be integral and add to the suspense of going into the ring.

I also notice, almost all mappers ignore the in-game scoreboard you get to see featured in loads of the original maps.
I want the tournament back in the tournament.
No SP, just let the players create history and follow their destiny to climb that hill of skulls.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Dr.Flay wrote:Yup you get it.
2004 was almost there conceptually. you had the crowds of cheering fans and the announcer really makes it feel like TV, and razzmatazz, rather than just a battle-field.
That was 2003 :p
Too bad it was reduced to a fixed series of matchs. Leagues, championships, friendly games, qualifications, ascencion, descencion, player transfers, with their own mood and desire (I want to go in a team of the superior division, I don't get paid enough, I want more aliens in my teams) that's what we need. The sports spirit is really well suited to Unreal, just a bit bloodier. After all, wasn't it the reason for UT to get the "2003" and "2004" stuff like FIFA games and so? (and IIRC, "ut2005" as a codename for UC2 and UT2007 for UT3).
Granted I don't want to see abysmal updates each year of course :D

So basically, what I want is Football Manager but with bloodsports and where you get to play UT each match. Yay! :P