Chrome not so shiny

Discussions about everything else
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Chrome not so shiny

Post by papercoffee »

There is from a German programmer a modified version called Iron. No Google home calling.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I didn't want to say iron, sounds to strong LoL.

I think the whole browser war thing these days is boiled down to how you want to use the net.

Chrome is cool with all those games apps etc etc.

I tried firefox waaaaaaaaaaaay back, and hated it, tabs, separate little windows, , I don't use tabs, I turn off tabs and probably have a max if ever of 3 browsers open.

The security thing is beyond the scope of my knowledge, I just figure it's all based on odds. Like hack IBM or the pentagon, but lowly me, there ain't nothing to want.
Binary Space Partitioning
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

All tabbed browsers can be used as single windows, even the one that invented them (Opera) ;)
To some degree you are bang-on by saying it boils down to how you use the net (that is why I don't use 1 browser).

Hackers aren't interested in actively hacking everyone. They don't have to, because they know they only have to inject insecure objects into secure pages, or get you to play an online game, or watch a video, or just "Click OK to agree" to something you did not read, or replace the certificate on a site, or.....

How do people think web-mail get broken into and used for spamming ?
How do you think people get bank and credit card details stolen ?
How do you think Facebook and social media accounts are hacked ?
People that don't care about security are an easier target than those that do, so hackers target them even more, making their odds of success substantially better.

They rarely directly hack into your PC. You watch too many spy movies. Spending time hacking an individual is a waste of time unless there is something specific they want.
It is fire-walls and closed ports etc. that block things like that, not browser settings.
No they just cast a huge net and let you walk blindly into a wide-open trap, and do all the work for them.
They may play the odds, but they do everything they can to stack things in their favour.

To further increase their chances some of them will pay for Google ads and sucker you into visiting the wrong sites (I regularly report fake sites in ads to Google)
Many people seem to refuse to get a product from the actual authors site, and just click on the first link at the top (Web of Trust users see many of these fakes before visiting).
Many people use FB accounts to log into others for speed and convenience, so give hackers easy access to their FB or similar account.

It is correct to say it is a game of odds, but so is leaving your house or car unlocked.
There is a chance you are lucky and it will never happen.
But do only expensive cars get stolen and posh houses broken into ?
Nope. The majority are the ones that are easiest. The ones with the careless owners.

Securing SSL in your browser (as much as it can) is not arcane science for geeks, as it just involves ticking some boxes in the prefs that have the word "Certificate" or "Revocation" in them.
If I genuinely thought it was difficult or complex, I would have posted screen-shots, but when you look in any browsers security prefs, it is obvious when you see it.

It isn't perfect but it is the best we have, and there's no point having free protection if you don't use it.