Tough to read now, unrealsp.

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

Tough to read now, unrealsp.

Post by Red_Fist »

Seems so blasty big font, can't read the full thread title, ends in ..............

I think they should leave well enough, alone. and make IE work correctly (even though it is working correctly) BEFORE any other browser, then the others.
Like here or regular forums, or webpages, things are spaced so it's easy to read, ah well, he says it's beta.

I quit posting their, only reading, but now I will have to try and read.

you guys getting those big fonts ?
Binary Space Partitioning
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Tough to read now, unrealsp.

Post by Chamberly »

What I see: http://i.gyazo.com/07c493208d9a7e16ee6772336f9d4eab.png

They mentioned that they upgraded and want you too I guess. I'm using the latest firefox.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

I hadn't checked in there for a while.

The colors sorta make my eyes hurt.

Looks like they will be addressing most of this issues you mentioned soon.

See the feedback thread here: http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?p=65673#p65673
blarg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hmm, you don't suppose I need to have a wide screen, I use a CRT at 1024.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Initially noted here · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=65421#p65421 · but in more detail, on my computer at home it looks perfectly fine. Thing is I most often used to hit that forum from my work computer and on that one the font is REALLY tiny and I can barely see anything at all.

All the menu text is at the extreme left of the screen on the work computer, with tiny text. The feeds of the forum are near the middle and it slightly overlaps the text from the menu.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

I have problems too. Not only with reading stuff, but with some functions of the site, like the search and new/old post stuff.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Code-wise they are not doing bad as it is remarkably free of errors.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.u ... e_warnings
That is actually very rare.

I guess browsers must be the problem for layout issues, but as for functionality, I guess that will sort itself out as people are finding what does not work well.

It is a far more radical makeover than Oldunreal got, and it does look like it is intended for phones and tablets, so I'm thinking sites are going to have to go back to providing a mobile and normal interface, because they all end up losing speed and functionality in favour of slick and slidey.
The BBC streaming site has turned into a nightmare to keep up with anything now, and it takes me more clicks than ever to actually get to something.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I see, he wanted to have something for the anniversary. I can read it, I have bad eyes and always want bigger fonts, but man I guess bigger isn't always better. Somehow messes me up trying to focus or some damn thing. :noidea
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Different resolutions aside...

On my home computer: WinXP, Chrome browser, it looks like this:
Spoiler

On my work computer: Win7, Internet Explorer, it looks like this:
Spoiler

ividyon
Average
Personal rank: UnrealSP.org Staff

Post by ividyon »

I randomly stumbled upon this thread when checking for updated UnrealSP links on Google. Why did nobody tell me anything? :?: I could've missed all this feedback. Very strange. There's a feedback thread, you guys.

Chamberly's screenshot is an example of how the site is supposed to look for everybody. EvilGrins' first screenshot displays the mobile-optimized version of the site; it renders the sidebar horizontal and entirely cuts the background image in favor of speed and readability.

For reference, here's a screenshot of the site on my PC (1080p, Firefox 30) to showcase how the site would look in optimal conditions.

@Shadow:
The problem was simply that I didn't finish the search re-indexing after updating the forums. The search should work fine now.

@EvilGrins:
The website was designed with a mobile-first approach, however I have not maintained the responsive code well in the final stages of making the layout (particularly, after connecting the layout to phpBB code, because suddenly it became a giant mess). That's why, for example, the "Game Info" and "Community" buttons are a bit broken (due to the addition of a new menu item really thinning the space for each title). Everything else seems to work as it should - maybe except for the fact that it's on your Windows XP home computer, rather than on a mobile device. I'll have to tweak the device/resolution detection a bit.

As for your work computer, I have no idea what went wrong there, but it definitely doesn't look like my design's responsibility. Something is FUBAR with that computer's setup. Out of curiosity, I'd still appreciate details on it (browser version, resolution, OS etc.) though.

@Dr.Flay:
I pride myself of efficient and clear coding, and adhering to the standards of the HTML version I choose (in this case, HTML5), so I'm glad it validated well. I was validating my code at the start of the dev cycle, but at some point I stopped; good to know that nothing majorly screwed up.

@everyone with font size problems:
Most fonts are specifically sized to be the same size as on the old site. The only size increase occurs on very small resolutions, when the site enters "mobile mode"; there, the fonts are increased in size to help readability on mobile devices. Use CTRL+mousewheel to change your browser's zoom level and adjust the zoom as you need it. I understand this is not optimal, so I will look into making the "mobile mode" actually device-specific.

If you have any troubles like that, please try the above, and also tell me what browser & resolution you're using.
Also known as: sana
UnrealSP.org - the premier Unreal single player site
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I basically only know what it said above the pic: Win7 and Internet Explorer. I.T. at our place has most of the computer locked down beyond basic functions, so I can't discern much more detail.
ividyon wrote:Why did nobody tell me anything?
Mostly I suspect not everyone here is over there, and while I am I can't read it so well at work and at home my brain is coasting in neutral.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ividyon wrote: For reference, here's a screenshot of the site on my PC (1080p, Firefox 30) to showcase how the site would look in optimal conditions.
Yup ...when a screen is set to 1024 you will get the compact mobile version. The i-Pad first and second generation had a 1024x768 resolution. The next generations had the same screen ratio but with twice as much pixels.

When I hit strg+minus the page looks like in your screenshot.
ividyon
Average
Personal rank: UnrealSP.org Staff

Post by ividyon »

Technically, though, there's nothing really wrong with the mobile version. It just moves the sidebar to the top, eliminates the whitespace at the sides of the screen, and enlarges the font. I might make it so that the font size is not changed if on desktop, but otherwise it's actually an optimal layout for small resolutions like that, and it doesn't remove any content like mobile versions usually do.

Since the sidebar is about 224px wide, I believe it would take away too much space on 1024 res. What do you think?

By the way, I fixed the navigation on mobile by removing the arrows and also reducing font size quite a bit.
Also known as: sana
UnrealSP.org - the premier Unreal single player site
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Sorry Sana, I meant to give you a shout in the IRC.

BTW Opera users can fix the GUI size quickest.
If it is rendering in mobile format, or looks messed up, just tap the "minus key" on the numeric pad, and it will be fixed ;)
All other browsers use a hot-key combo.

I must congratulate you again on the clean code :tu:
To prove the point, we could even challenge people to find a site that validates with less errors (then wait a long time).

Unfortunately it does seem common for people to seek help on the wrong sites, and I realised that even though I point people at the official threads for the new renderers, they still ask here (I should prod Smirftsch to visit more).
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

To specify I am on win7 pro, 64 bit, IE10 Intel i7 920 6gig Gigabyte motherboard, Nvidia.
Use 1024 by 768 CRT.

That should work first BEFORE ANY other way, no matter what browser or system, end of story. (1024 by 768)

IE is still 75% and above used as well as "desktops" see google analytics., my idea would be to make it work plane Jane, THEN slap on the rest.
Glad you are working on it anyway, I realize the effort, online vs browser, OS, AND mobile.
AND programing the fixes, keep up the good work. !!