Programs and Pen Drive USB

Discussions about everything else
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Programs and Pen Drive USB

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, I searched, but I didn't find anything that I want really to this:
If I want install Miscrosoft Office or Milshape 3D or any program else (I said ANY PROGRAM else) in my PEN drive and run that program from it (without installing it in the computer itself), what should I do or download or is it even possible? :help: :help: :help: :help:
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Programs and Pen Drive USB

Post by Myth »

Most program, even if they were made to be installed first, work whitout installing. All you need to do is to test them if they work.
If you copy a program to a USB Pen Drive and try it on another computer:
- The best case is that it works seamlessly.
- Setting may be saved to MyDocument/User settings/Registry. You'll have to configure your program on every computer on which you run it, or always copy the saves to the USB.
- A DLL might be missing. This is because when the software is installed some DLLs are copied into the windows, cause many DLLs are used by a large variety of programs. In this case you'll have to copy the DLL into the folder which contains the executable of the software.
- You may have to enter your registry key every time you run it on a different computer. This can be sickening if you work on many computers. One solution might be to find the registry entries in windows, rip them, and install them on every new system. (playing around whit the registry editor can destroy your windows)
- The most annoying situation is that the software is Internet Dependant. Ok, that means only Internet computers. But what if the second computer tells you that your license is already used? Well there is one illegal way round...
- And the worst would be that the software demands to be installed properly nomatter how you trick it.
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:Depends on the programs really.

Some games have been known to install onto Pendrives like *Zip!*, others don't.

I really dont see why you couldn't just plug in your Pen, then direct the installer to the removable drive.

A pen drive is nothing more than a small external hard disk really. :|
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Thanks Myth and Kings, but I know that every Install Setup doesn't have to install on the PC to run, like Winrar, for example (i can install winrar (the normal one) in my pen, and still working with it).

A good way to know if those programs work in my pen, is when we don't have the admin privilieges in a certain computer and we try to install them on a custom paste in C: (or another HD partition or unit), and if it starts to give errors during the installation (when he can't install certain files, like DLLs) is because it is tryin g to install those DLLs in Windows and/or setting some aspects in windows registry itself.

But I just want to know if I can install a program like the ones that I can't install that way in the other computers, without installing a whole new operating system in my PEN and booting from it. Is there any lightweight software that can actually work on Windows and install my programs in my PEN? I just want to install MilkShape 3D in my PEN (even that programs sucks for UT animation, to many bugs :| ).