Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Post by Red_Fist »

LoL, really, we will be at UT4 in the year 2075 :mrgreen:

Isn't there any way to bind the setspeed command into a map, that over rides the gametypes ?

I could see just the client or offline, to add a command each time it loads, but not built in, there must be a way, or maybe a mutator built in.

Those little crawly flat creatures are really worrisome, man they chase you through anything, sort of like the blobs in unreal, Set a trap with those since they don't attack until you shoot them.

They also move fast in shallow water, have not tried a deep pool, but they skirt across my fluid actor pretty dang fast, see the waves.

You could setup an area , like 32 of them and walk through, but make a fight with a different enemy causing you to accidentally shoot one, friggen scary. Might be able to change the team number so the other pawn won't make them go after it. I need to test that out.

Actually you could just use the property changer up until you accidentally shoot one, then switch the team so they ALL attack at once, if you shoot only one, a swarm of ankle biting killers.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:LoL, really, we will be at UT4 in the year 2075 :mrgreen:

Isn't there any way to bind the setspeed command into a map, that over rides the gametypes ?
IIRC, the speed is a float value in Unreal2.ini. Don't take my word for it though, and I'm too lazy to endure the much-too-long loading screen to check.
If it's the case, then I guesse there must be a commant to be adjust the speed.
You must construct additional pylons.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Can't seem to get a deco layer for terrain. The ones that do have the meshes on them, there is no decolayer at all. It has just the regular layers, but the foliage IS there. :noidea

Something weird you have to do in-order, and what exactly to use for each texture, just don't get it.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Just tested, decolayers work fine.
Have you entered a density map for your decolayer? If not, Unreal has no idea where to display the meshes.
If yes, then make sure in the TerrainInfo properties (under the Decolayer tab), that you have increased the FadeOutRadius of your decolayer. In all UE2 games, it is set to 0 by default which means your decolayer is never displayed. Set it to 1000 and if your decolayer is correctly setup, your meshes should pop in.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

ahh, was hoping you would chime in, thanks, I will try again. Sure seems like I made it work a way long time ago, or just copied other maps actors and never really learned.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Here's the step by step if you need to.
Once you terrain is properly setup, in order to have a decolayer, you need to:
- Create a decolayer in the Terrain Editing Tool
- Select a grass/bush mesh in the static-mesh browser
- Select a density map for you decolayer. I suggest you simply create a white texture the size of you heightmap and save it as bmp.
- Right-click on your decolayer and select "Select mesh from current" and "Select Density from current".

Then you need to increase the fade out radius in the TerrainInfo itself. I don't know why it defaults to 0, it's really annoying and it's the same in UT2003/2004. There are a number of other parameters in the decolayer properties inside the TerrainInfo, but they're less important. If you need too I'll explain all of them, but my doc right now is in french and I'm too lazy to translate it tonight from work.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ok so I will make a gray map the same or close as my base map was, gray level, probably a small adjustment scale, not way off high or low.

I looked at M08 map, and there is no "deco" layer, how the heck :noidea unless they placed all that grass with meshes. But I see a lot of regular layers.

Forget that, M08 IS just meshes placed on it, so I am looking a Marsh now :confused2:
LoL, the mesh is a clump of grass so it looks like it could have been a layer.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

There are several meshes with extended patches of grass, so they don't always need to use decolayers in the game.
Marsh as a few decolayers because they needed some grass and plants all over. They don't on maps like Waterfront which is almost entirely rock, or Sulferon which is just sand.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Still working on it, pretty sure I have a layer, just no mesh is popping up, I tried another mesh still no go.

The only thing I can think I am doing wrong is the texture formats, I don't know if I save it with some alpha and import that, or just any gray texture, or 8 bit RLE, I dunno it should be working.
Or my base terrain texture is messing things up, I don't know many more things to try, running out of things to try. and I know it works !!! :mad2:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

When you open the decolayer tab of the Terrain Editing Tool, do you see the name of your mesh on the decolayer?
Do you see the grey density map?
Have you painted some decolayer on your terrain? Select the decolayer and use the Painting tool of the Terrain Editing Tool to scatter some of it around.
Try to recreate your decolayer with a pure white 8-bit density map.
Increase the decolayer's fadeout radious to something like 6000/12000.
Make sure ShowOnTerrain is set to 1.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yep pretty much did all that, the mesh is there (the terrain edit), the painting up down , the gray I used was 50 %, tried alpha 24 bit, tried others. I even copied the marsh terrain and copied their textures for each slot for deco.

I will try the white texture see what happens.

I keep thinking it's like way to far off high low or something isn't letting me see them, but the marsh terrain still worked.

This isn't what I was even trying to do but other things in the map. now I HAVE to know, lol

Try again.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

If this things keeps not working, post the map so I can take a look.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hellkeeper wrote:If this things keeps not working, post the map so I can take a look.
I will, I will try the white texture first, PM me a email, I ain't going to .zip it, just the files, it's not too big.

Be nice to know what exactly I am doing wrong, gotta be something stupid I just know it.

also it's just a beginning, putting meshes in to use and other things so I don't need to look through all the meshes every time. so anything you find wrong, isn't really meant to be right, (yet) WIP
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

It works fine.

I don't know why you didn't listen to me. :P I told you several times to increase the fadeout radius of your decolayer, but it was still at 0/0 when I opened the map. Just increasing it makes all the meshes pop in, so that was the only thing missing in your setup.

Problem solved. Next!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Aaaaaaaaarg, I did mess with that, killin me here. LoL just seeing the screenshot is amazing.

I assumed that 0,0 meant infinity, but I did change those like another map, so it must have been two things that's why I left it at 0 after more tries with different base textures.

OK, thank you very much.

My next learning curve is the property changer, I want to be able to switch team numbers on pawns. I wonder if there is a way to make spawned creatures change team without making a new class. Now that is not completely necessary, but would change team before-hand and save a step having to change them again, then again.

Was thinking that area would be a test bed for creatures, then the scientists (player), have them spawn the ones you want behind the door with the premise they won't attack you and see, who attacks who, as your experiment after you open the door (trigger toggle).
But alas, something happens, and they turn on you. So you need to run and do something to reset (zap) the room that makes them not attack. but die trying to get to the zapper, lol heck I dunno, but something like that.

Along the lines of MH thinking for lots of shooting but other missions embedded in the map as well, or along the way.