Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Discussions about everything else
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Post by Hellkeeper »

I didn't even know people had made maps for U2. Very underused engine with a great potential, nice textures, nice meshes, interesting particle system, exceptionally good NPC systems for conversations, interactions, etc...

I hope you tried Solaris base, by Matthias Worch who made the atlantis, it's a very nice little incomplete level, worthy of everyone's interest I believe.
You must construct additional pylons.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Dang it all, while I won't use XMP, I wish someone could code something to at least make a player respawn, instead of saving a game. The ONLY one that has it all is UT99, so if anyone can code a gametype, and make it do that one thing, is all we need to make, an SP map that you respawn in, for Unreal2. (and the running speed of the player)

It has all the nice new stuff like UT2004, but includes all the pawns.
I wish I knew enough to make it work, or code it to do that.
The only other function, maybe not needed would be a level exit.
I will continue to make something, but you will have to save the map a lot.

I emailed Worch, email didn't come back, as bad, worth a try.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:(and the running speed of the player)
It has all the nice new stuff like UT2004, but includes all the pawns.
All the nice new stuff but in a crude and worse state. Working with terrains is less convenient because they have no unlit Textured mode and can't generate heightmap on the fly, Particle Salamanders, though nice, are far less easy and clear than the Emitters or even DE's Xemitters, and I seem to remember the unbuilt preview of the 3d viewport did not work, or much less, so that you'd need to build much more often. Also, volumes are not seen through the geometry etc. Nice but much less perfect.

The running speed is (reportedly) easy to fix. I don't remember how, but it is very possible that there is a line in the .ini file that allows you to change it (and probably double it).

All this makes me want to map for U2 again. I never got around to making anything in more than 10 years and I still have no clue about what to do. It's like wanting to eat your cake when you're not hungry :sad2:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

This is the dangdest thing, probably should do a mapping thread. But that damn drakk boss goes through the BSP.
It won't follow me in ghost mode outside the map.
It went above the mover and came back in. I also have an add brush window, it can shoot and move right through. I did get it to not move or shoot through the mover. Man there is soooo much stuff in their to learn.
I suppose that leaves volumes, cuz the damn pawn should not be able to do that, or maybe I need to set some physics volume with the whole map inside it.

I bet there is a way to somehow loop a mission so when you die it just continues along with those endmap triggers or some other thing, if I knew how to even make a mission and know how to use zillion other actors.

Not sure what you mean, I see the watervolume brush I made. wireframe mode view.

Also
"and I seem to remember the unbuilt preview of the 3d viewport did not work"

It's working like any other uEd, so far
There is one thing, if you set a mover to world raytrace 1, it will look like it moves the mover to key 1, but ingame the mover will be at key 0
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well getting more confusing by the second, I see "static" meshes moving-rotating and not attached to any mover, look up top at the m3_5 level.

The boss Drakk does move through things, walls, movers. I teased it in the stock map, it will avoid the mover and go right through the wall to get out.
The Droid, just sits there, shoot it bump it, nothing happens.
The medium Drakk will shoot through the mover, not an add brush, and will hear you shoot, change it's beam from blue to red, and slowly follow you.
The Drakk light acts most like a normal pawn.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:This is the dangdest thing, probably should do a mapping thread. But that damn drakk boss goes through the BSP.
I don't think the Drakk boss was intended for anywhere outside of where you find it in the game...
Red_Fist wrote:The Droid, just sits there, shoot it bump it, nothing happens.
I noticed that a few years ago, had 2 Skaarj attacking the thing while I went out to get the mail...
...then I did my laundry and other stuff. Basically, after a few hours, they still couldn't kill it outside of its section of the game.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

What it is, is you make a script to make them act, or react, the script is not code but regular English using notepad, commands and or animations, like orders in UT, but a lot more orders and States to pick from. So the base pawn that is placed only does what the,"controller" has as defaults, ALL pawns. I have a list of things to look at but need to refresh my memory.

The last round for me was in 2012, but it's quite easy to make scripts, it's just that each pawn has different capabilities above and beyond the normal commands. like those Drakk's I never fooled with other pawns, only the skaarj and friendly humans. But once you do a little bit, you can have tons of power to control them, fun !

You could make an animated movie in this game, actions and storylines, what weapons you want them to use, tons of things.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:What it is, is you make a script to make them act, or react, the script is not code but regular English using notepad, commands and or animations, like orders in UT, but a lot more orders and States to pick from. So the base pawn that is placed only does what the,"controller" has as defaults, ALL pawns. I have a list of things to look at but need to refresh my memory.
If someone's interested, Matthias Worch's tutorials for Unreal 2 and some files can be found here. At the end of this tutorial is a link to an archive which contains a few stuff, including a documentation file about the AI system, which features a complete list of AI commands and command targets as well as some explanation for all.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Hellkeeper wrote:I didn't even know people had made maps for U2.

I hope you tried Solaris base, by Matthias Worch who made the atlantis, it's a very nice little incomplete level, worthy of everyone's interest I believe.
Gave it a go, it was fun. A little tricky to load, can't access it from inside the game; had to launch it from the map file. Plays like an Assault game, but because the map is incomplete it doesn't seem to have an end...
...and the doors do this for a couple seconds opening & closing before you can see the corridor beyond.

It was fun, though.

Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:There is one thing, if you set a mover to world raytrace 1, it will look like it moves the mover to key 1, but ingame the mover will be at key 0
IIRC, that's normal behaviour. WorldRaytrace is the keyframe which is taken in consideration when rebuilding lights. The mover himself is not affected in game. This is usually used to rebuild the light in a way which isn't too jarring when a door opens. If you have a lit room, a door and then a dark room, setting the WorldRayTrace to 1 (usually that's the "open" keyframe) means the lighting is built as if the door was open (with light going from the lit room to the dark one. And vice-versa.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"as if the door was open"

That's what I mean, it shows in the editor as if it's in keyframe 1 it literaly moves to keyframe 1.

It don't do that in UT99, pretty sure it don't do that, it just stays at key zero. LoL I have to look.

(unless you knew that)
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

It moves the static-mesh/mover and builds lighting this way, but in-game the mover is in its right place? I'd say it's a minor thing. The difference is simply that you see how the engine builds the map. You can easily move it back wherever you want.

Unless it affects the way the actual results of course. In that case, it's a full-blown bug.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think they are saving a step in the build, just have it build while physically in key one rather than have the program software do more steps.
Plus I have to make this mover I have thicker, a lot of pawns just look like they are on the obstructed side, but their collision is keeping them in. I think I made 16, need to look.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Someone asked earlier if Ne'Ban can get killed... so, here he is on fire:

Ne'Ban vs Skaarj!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:I think I will whip up a quick map for evilgrins. hahhoohoho, you gonna die, and run, or run and die, hide and die.
What I'd like is a water map, if you're still on this. I pulled up a list awhile ago of all the monsters in U2 and there's a surprisingly large amount of sea life, including 1 that's like a psycho whale shark.

Never got to see those in the game.