@paper - are you serious you never played it? i think everyone should, at least once
imo, it was not really a bad game, just had really bad "release" timing cause it could not compete with HALO (yes!)
it was made by Legend (same studio that made RTNP) and not Epic (who were working on ut2003 at the time).
It came out before ut2003 and deusex invisible war (so during 2002) and so was really the first UE2 game out.
the graphics at that time were a great leap forward on PC, although, for gameplay elements it fell well short of "halo" by a wide margin (no vehicles, for example)
Some good and bad things i remember most about U2
(in no particular order):
- very cool locales/environments
- a rather cool space-craft (atlantis)
- a very hot looking chick NPC (that was not lara croft lol)
- insanely over-powerful guns
- damn, spiders spiders and more spiders - BUT you get a really good flame thrower to fry all those spiders - yeah!!!!!
- perimeter defence required at times
- sort of a weak predictable story that had a pretty stupid ending (okay, game endings are usually stupid so you can't blame Legend)
- in unreal you had teleportation, in unreal2 you have a shuttle pod... hmmm
- boring not cool engine cutscenes - should have just made better quality bink cutscenes like most other games
- no driving of vehicles, which i was really disappointed about, having already played HALO for a year
- a very stupid alien pilot character and an unconvincing side kick tech dude that smoked a lot of cigarettes
- sigh, stupid jumping puzzles
- stretches of boredom
- skaarj who look more like gorillas and less like "predators with tails"
- The Legend studio closed shortly after U2
- UT2003 struggled for a year until replaced by UT 2004 which finally featured VEHICLES!!!!
maybe worth a look just for the flame thrower alone...