Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Discussions about everything else
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Re: Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Post by AlCapowned »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Bah, isn't there an emulator you could use?
There hasn't been any progress in Xbox emulation in an extremely long time. I don't think there's a single Xbox emulator that even comes close to working for any game.

It really is a shame that all of those great assets were wasted on such a mediocre game. I really liked XMP though.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Hellkeeper wrote:Skaarjs looked nice, but they seemed so heavy... That fitted well with their miserable speed.
That miserable speed was relative. Most SP games don't let you play in turbo-mode, it's like playing in molasses.
Hellkeeper wrote:Too bad because. The models in themselves were gorgeous. Atlantis crew, the soldiers, the fauna... If only it had been put to good use.
Kinda have. All of them are downloadable playable models in ut2004, and ut3 I believe. Probably be some new ones made for ut4 when that's up and fully running.
AlCapowned wrote:It really is a shame that all of those great assets were wasted on such a mediocre game. I really liked XMP though.
You've done pretty well taking some of those assets and putting them into other games. Any chance you can yoink a U2 Skaarj outta there and put it in Unreal1/ut99?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Must admit after installing XMP I did not get round to the SP much, but I really enjoyed the locations and explored everywhere forwards and backwards (found lots of hidden stuff).
I loved the details with the insects and wildlife, from squishing bugs under your feet to the ethereal "flying rods" (look it up).

When you first find the rabbits was quite funny.
"aww, look at the cute little bunny-wunny."
"Don't be scared little-OUCH !! B*STARD !!"
Then every time you find it in the damned floor or walls, you wish safety protocol did not require you stow away your guns.
mmm..Space-rabbit pie.
Mmmm... Oh sorry DLD-rabbit don't worry I wasn't looking at you.

There should have been an easter-egg sub-game where you get chances to catch the goaty little bugger.
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

EvilGrins wrote: Any chance you can yoink a U2 Skaarj outta there and put it in Unreal1/ut99?
The chances are nearly zero. U2 using different engine for models and animation, called Golem (or something similar). As far as i know it was used due to few specifical things that was unavailable with other engine. I read somewhere, somebody found a way to go through reverse engeneering and take out those models but i dont know does that have success or no. :noidea
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

EvilGrins wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:Too bad because. The models in themselves were gorgeous. Atlantis crew, the soldiers, the fauna... If only it had been put to good use.
Kinda have. All of them are downloadable playable models in ut2004, and ut3 I believe. Probably be some new ones made for ut4 when that's up and fully running.
Yep, I have them all installed on my UT2004 copy. Very nice models.
Torax wrote:The chances are nearly zero. U2 using different engine for models and animation, called Golem (or something similar). As far as i know it was used due to few specifical things that was unavailable with other engine. I read somewhere, somebody found a way to go through reverse engeneering and take out those models but i dont know does that have success or no. :noidea
As they have been ported to UT2004 format, it should be possible to port them back to UT99. I have seen more or less every UT2004 model made available for UT99, these ones should not pose much more problems :wink:
You must construct additional pylons.
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

VendorX released a tool that extracts Unreal 2 models from *.gem files and converts them into the standard Unreal skeletal format, so they mostly work in UT2004/UT99/Unreal 227. I have the Unreal 2 Skaarj models converted, but for whatever reason their origin is messed up. They appear to be standing upright in 227's model viewer, but when I summon them in game, they're facing the ground and basically floating in the air. Once they start to move, their origin is fine. Changing the origin doesn't fix it, and I've never had this problem with any other skeletal models.

Things like the weapons would be difficult or impossible to convert. In Unreal 2, the first person hands, the main part of the weapons, and other parts are all separate. I haven't found a way to combine them without ruining their animations. :noidea

The only creatures that wouldn't be easily converted are the Drakk, since a lot of their animation relies on code (I think).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ Hellkeeper
You got Torax's and Grins post mixed up... I fixed this. :mrgreen:

Ok those U2 models exists for UT2k4 ...has someone a source for me?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Dr.Flay wrote:Must admit after installing XMP I did not get round to the SP much, but I really enjoyed the locations and explored everywhere forwards and backwards (found lots of hidden stuff).
I found this, as it was on the 1 map in U2 I couldn't beat (even with cheat codes) so I started shooting things randomly:
Dr.Flay wrote:There should have been an easter-egg sub-game where you get chances to catch the goaty little bugger.
I found that when i let Skaarj roam around on my ship, they eventually managed to corner that bunny and slaughtered it.
Torax wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: Any chance you can yoink a U2 Skaarj outta there and put it in Unreal1/ut99?
The chances are nearly zero.
Chances are better than you think. AlCapowned did it with the arachnids over a year ago, I've got them on ut99 MH maps now.
http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f ... =arachnids
He said others might be possible.
AlCapowned wrote:Things like the weapons would be difficult or impossible to convert. In Unreal 2, the first person hands, the main part of the weapons, and other parts are all separate. I haven't found a way to combine them without ruining their animations. :noidea
Is it as bad as ut99 swords? Ever see a person use the lightsabre or skull-blade? It looks ridiculous.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

papercoffee wrote:@ Hellkeeper
You got Torax's and Grins post mixed up... I fixed this. :mrgreen:

Ok those U2 models exists for UT2k4 ...has someone a source for me?
The Skaarj at least. Download them here. This is a repack by GreatEmerald, there exist a larger pack which includes more skins, re-rigging of the UT2004 Skaarj and a modified Invasion mod with only U2 and the modified UT2004 skaarj as monsters.

Also, thanks for fixing the quotes, but you mixed up another :p
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Hellkeeper wrote: Also, thanks for fixing the quotes, but you mixed up another :p
I didn't it was like this when I read it first.
So ...now it's fixed ...right? ...RIGHT???
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

papercoffee wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote: Also, thanks for fixing the quotes, but you mixed up another :p
I didn't it was like this when I read it first.
So ...now it's fixed ...right? ...RIGHT???
Yes, yes it is, it's perfect, don't worry, sit down, breath deeply... :)
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

The best advice I can give is if you're going to summon things into your own ship, wait until after your crew start passing out the weapons...
...because otherwise the Skaarj kill your entire crew and then you're surrounded and unarmed.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Are they looking at you ?, lol :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
Binary Space Partitioning
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

I found this, as it was on the 1 map in U2 I couldn't beat (even with cheat codes) so I started shooting things randomly:http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilgrin ... iginal.png
That pic in the center looks like Abraham Lincoln. :O
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Rocky wrote:
I found this, as it was on the 1 map in U2 I couldn't beat (even with cheat codes) so I started shooting things randomly:http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilgrin ... iginal.png
That pic in the center looks like Abraham Lincoln. :O
Really? I thought it's Gregory Peck as Ahab in the movie Moby-Dick. :ironic: