Toxikk - a UT clone?

Discussions about everything else
Blade hunter
Average
Personal rank: Mod Dude

Re: Toxikk - a UT clone?

Post by Blade hunter »

From my own perspective it's not bad and quite a nice budget FPS, but It's not interesting enough to make me spend money on it. I mean it doesn't offer anything outstanding from past games of the genre.
Ithink it will have some player base as it differs a bit from the rest and it will have modding, considering that lots of people starts to have good experience on UE3 mods might pop up quite soon.
Although it's not whacky enough, too grounded for what it is.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Blade hunter wrote: Although it's not whacky enough, too grounded for what it is.
That's exactly what bothered me the whole time, but I couldn't get the right words for this feeling.
It's tooo much a Halo/UT crossover.

And what bothers me the most, This game has no characters ...just emotionless battle suits in different colours.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

papercoffee wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote: I believe.
I hope.

I fully agree with Blade hunter: there's nothing wrong, it looks very good, but there's no selling point other than "it's like this game you like (and already have)".
You must construct additional pylons.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

papercoffee wrote: This game has no characters ...just emotionless battle suits in different colours.
Strangely this appeals to me. Sometimes you just want to drop into a game, play hard, then leave when you feel like it. I think that's the root of what makes DayZ so popular and fun. The skins look the same, you don't really know who is who, and if you aren't running with someone specifically you are likely to be killed on sight. There's a strong segment of UT (well used to be) that just wants to play without clan tags, special skins, and any extra crap. This seems to speak directly to those guys.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Blade hunter
Average
Personal rank: Mod Dude

Post by Blade hunter »

Yeah but DayZ is something else entierly, there is other games like an FPS called Reflex which is a Q3 clone, I can even say the same thing about it, no selling point and it's far more expensive than Toxikk.
I have nothing against the fact they use those FPS (Q3 - UT) for their base formula, but I think they must have something new to offer to actually have a selling point.
Like.
1 New gametypes and possibly innovative ones
2 gameplay tweaks based on movement, weapon tricks and level interactions
3 Level design, so having unused or least used level design elements and tricks to offer a particular gameplay that you don't find elsewhere
4 The arsenal, being innovative in therms of functions.
Alcoholodeck16
Novice

Post by Alcoholodeck16 »

papercoffee wrote: And what bothers me the most, This game has no characters ...just emotionless battle suits in different colours.
thats also one of the things which is bother me the most beside the fact that the maps kinda look like they've been made in some sort of "Trackeditor" and not in a "real Mapeditor". However from what i see the gameplay looks entertaining to me. Lan, dedicated servers, matchmaking, modding tools and the cheap price sounds cool too.
I might give it a try when it's out (since it gets released before UT4).
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

i think you'll be surprised to see that most of the features mentioned here skins , gametypes etc are a reality as well as modding / mapping abilities etc.

anyway shall see ;)

http://forum.toxikk.com/viewforum.php?f ... 1ede4cb232
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

As I have said before, I do have some issues with the idea - as has also been mentioned here - of claiming innovation when there is in fact none. They trumpet all of the basic aspects of arena shooters since the mid-90's as though they are a revelation, which they may well be to a young generation of gamers brought up on the CoDs and MoHs. However, they should show a little humility in my opinion to the roots of the genre and stop acting they are doing anything at all new; they are not.

The game is without a doubt a blatant copy & paste of a few games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but that they imply originality is troubling. This really does look like a UT3 mod.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

^
*built using the Unreal engine..
http://forum.toxikk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 8b160b5585

*So could well be right there Carbon ;).

what I like about it is ... that is seems fast paced like UT and does not give me the impression of 2Ton elephants bouncing around an arena.

* They appear to have jobs available..

JOB OPPORTUNITIES 4 LEVEL DESIGNER's [UE3/UE4]
Spoiler
We work with highly talented developers and are always on the lookout for more to expand our team. If you have a special talent and passion for game development, no matter if programming, graphic design or sound design etc., feel free to send us your resume. Please include a link to a webpage with your portfolio. Beyond our general search for talented developers, right now, we’re specifically looking for:

LEVEL DESIGNER [UE3/UE4]

We want to expand our level and environment design team and are currently looking for an experienced Unreal® engine environment and level-designer who wants to contribute to our upcoming Arena-FPS TOXIKK. This job is available as a freelance position, but has the option to be turned into a full-time, on-site position after 6 months.
JOB DESCRIPTION

You will design environments and levels for our upcoming Arena-FPS TOXIKK, based on Unreal Technology. As a freelancer, you can work from the comfort of your home with a flexible work time and payment schedule. For the creation of your levels, you will have access to all existing game and environment assets.
REQUIREMENTS

You will primarily work with Unreal® engine editing tools, but you should also be familiar with standard 3D editing tools (Autodesk® 3D Studio MAX® and/or Maya®) and Adobe Photoshop® to be able to create own 2D and 3D assets, to expand the game’s asset base and to enable other designers to work with your assets.

Having worked on a professionally published game before is a plus, but not a requirement. However, having completed at least one environment or level in the Unreal engine is a crucial requirement. The quality of said environment will be the main deciding aspect when evaluating your application.

HOW TO APPLY?

Simply send your resume and application to contact [at] reakktor.com or fill out our contact form and send us a link to your online portfolio. Please note that we will look at every application, resume, and portfolio sent to us. However, due to the high volume of inquiries, we are unfortunately only able to respond to successful applicants.

more info:
http://reakktor.com/jobs/
Download Actual Trailer - 180MB's
Last edited by Wises on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Wises wrote:*So could well be right there Carbon ;).
Yes, that's why I made the claim. There are many aspects of the game that appear to be re-skinnings of elements found in UT3 and UT2K4 (particularly in regard to vehicles); it really seems like an amalgam of the two games.

Now, again, not that this is a bad thing. I love the genre and always welcome new members to the club, as it were, but don't try to claim ownership of ideas that were founded 20 years ago! At least find your own place instead of implying that there hasn't been an "old school" FPS arena shooter made since 1999. Aligning themselves well might allow them an even more successful launch; standing on the shoulders of giants, so to speak.

However, the current trailers are quite off-putting and as I said, there doesn't seem to be innovation. In fact, their entire campaign seems to revolve around that fact.

We have this game already in the iterations of UT (among many other notables) and perhaps the ultimate version of UT looming on the horizon, the one that hopefully re-defines the genre from a team that were there when it was all going down the first time: Epic and us.

I hope it is good and I hope it is all they claim, but I wish they would dial back the "old school" rhetoric a bit.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Blade hunter wrote:there is other games like an FPS called Reflex which is a Q3 clone
I always thought Quake4, though being inferior to UT as a game, just 'felt' better than UT in multiplayer. UT feels as tight as a coiled spring where Q4 was slightly less tight and I always thought it was more comfortable for long gaming sessions in multiplayer. I always meant to do a comparison of the engine physics to see how they stacked up with each other and find out why such a subtle difference made it so much better for me.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

[youtube]tSD0mKFN2Ec[/youtube]
[spoiler][quote="Toxikk Forums"]After going through a couple of heavy testing sessions, we now defined the final release date for the beta: TOXIKK will hit Steam's Early Access program on January, 22. We had to expand our original beta release estimation (Q4/2014) by three weeks, as the final alpha stage revealed some hard to replicate network issues and some UI problems that require a bit more attention, than what we could have achieved before this month is over. And also..., there's Xmas ;)

The TOXIKK Pro-League Founders' Program (25% discounted pre-orders, forum badges, in-game founders' skins etc.) will end on January, 10. From that date on, we'll no longer offer the game through our website. Full price purchases will be possible through Steam only, starting January 22.

We value our community and are grateful for all the support we received from the people who have pre-ordered the game through the Pro-League Founder's Program. All that extra cash went straight into polishing the game to a point, where we believe that you'll have a lot of fun with TOXIKK, right from its first day on Steam.

Thank you all for your support and see you in-game![/quote]
Image[/spoiler]