www.unrealtournament.info down... Planned or hacked?

Discussions about everything else
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: www.unrealtournament.info down... Planned or hacked?

Post by TheDane »

Syntax-Error wrote:Really Dane?

It is true I registered a few days ago on UT, but the forum was visited quite often by me.

The "hacked" part was certainly NOT chosen to feed the trolls, but since I wasn't aware of your announcement of the closure, I was quite surprised to see that the website and forums were "down".
It was not a nice surprise though.

Too bad you see it this way, as it was not intended as such.
It's not the first time that websites and forums got hacked and weird messages are posted to show they were able to take over the website.
So "GAME OVER!" could have been such a message, instead of your way saying "Goodbye".

If I thought that the site was hacked, I would have only asked that.
That's why I summed 3 options, because I didn't know which one would be right. Certainly not to feed trolls...

Thanks for hosting such a great resource, as a lot of interesting discussions and technical details were discussed there.
A lot of people would like to keep it alive if possible, but I respect your choice to shut it down.

Would it perhaps be an option to offer a copy of the forum (including database), so that it could be setup on another location?
Since it is such a good resource, it would be a shame to see it go, even if the domain expires.
Personally, I wouldn't mind to configure one of my servers to host it.

Syntax-Error
Oh, I can only say I'm sorry :oops: I misjudged you and had no right to do so, thank you for clearing that up!

Yes, I can see now that the message "game over" can be seen as a hacker message. I just wrote that to keep the message in gaming style, and well, game over happens in all games and means the same as "the end" or anything simular. Maybe I picked the wrong words :noidea .... If anyone has a good gif image of a fat lady singing then please share, I'll use that next time as we all know what it means when the fat lady sings right? :lol2:

I'm glad you liked the debates there, and yes, it did serve as good ground for debates of all kind.

I cannot allow for the forum to be handed over to others to be hosted at another place. The people who joined and posted there did so under the circumstances that where present at the time of posting, I can't hand it over to third parties, that goes against my personal believes and ethics. Sorry about that, but I'm a stubborn man in those regards.

papercoffee wrote:I appreciate it that you want to keep your forum open till August.
Do we have the permission to copy Dark's explanation of the 333NW over here to UT99.org? Just for future reference.
I don't mind at all that you or anyone else copy/paste any contents from there at all as long as its something that is written in the public available areas and is duplicated without altering anything. I'd like it though if you'd ask the posters themselves, in this case Darkelarious. But I haven't putted any copyright notices on the board for the very same reason, I think that all will benefit from sharing contents every now and then. So to sum it up, you don't need my permission, the forums are public and not bound by any copyright :-)
Retired.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
JackGriffin wrote:You wanted a reason to close the place and you went into my private messages to find it. Then you lied about how it was done. Go ahead and post our email exchange in it's entirety and let's hear other people's opinions on what "occurred".

You are unstable and it kills my soul that I stood up for you so many times. That'll never happen again. You deserve the anger coming your way.
This is a nasty post. For the last couple years I wasn't sure if it was you pretending to be TheDane, that's how close you two are. I've been asked to be more careful about guessing things but I know for a fact when he reads the database he cannot see who the poster of the messages are. And I'd very very accurately guess that he read the forum first, and that was where the file was requested, okayed on your end, and thank you'd by the requester
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

TheDane wrote:
papercoffee wrote:I appreciate it that you want to keep your forum open till August.
Do we have the permission to copy Dark's explanation of the 333NW over here to UT99.org? Just for future reference.
(...) I'd like it though if you'd ask the posters themselves, in this case Darkelarious.
Sure, sharing is caring. For convenience, I think it's nice to copy the entire thread here.

I'll take the time to read through this entire thread this evening to see if there is anything against the following suggestion: if Dane doesn't want to continue the forum while others would like to, is it an idea to transfer the board/site to somebody who wishes to continue with it (without turning it over)?
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
Syntax-Error
Novice
Personal rank: Admin & Player

Post by Syntax-Error »

TheDane wrote:
If anyone has a good gif image of a fat lady singing then please share
LOL!
I searched for that on Google Images with the keywords "Fat Lady Sings". :)
First results show a fat lady singing, with a viking helmet on ;)
Not a pretty picture if you ask me. :lol:

Other pics show up as wel (Yikes! :loool: ) but wouldn't be something I would use ;)

So, I don't know if that would be such a good idea in the near future hehehe.

Too bad you don't want to share the forum with db, but I respect your descision.
Atleast I asked. I would have been more than happy to host it.

Syntax-Error
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

TheDane wrote:I cannot allow for the forum to be handed over to others to be hosted at another place. The people who joined and posted there did so under the circumstances that where present at the time of posting, I can't hand it over to third parties, that goes against my personal believes and ethics. Sorry about that, but I'm a stubborn man in those regards.
I guess that answers
Darkelarious wrote:if Dane doesn't want to continue the forum while others would like to, is it an idea to transfer the board/site to somebody who wishes to continue with it (without turning it over)?
For my experience I am a "young" user at ut.info because I posted relatively few posts there. But after how we came to terms with each other in the masterserver thread, it makes me feel sorry to see the forum go. I would like to think in solutions to the bitter end.

Would it be an idea to make a poll over (t)here, giving the ut.info users a voice in moving the forum or not? What are the key values that were held the highest there? If we could find a few people both willing and capable to administrate the forum according to those values, would TheDane perhaps reconsider previous statement?
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:No way. Dane gets the say. I'd be totally against any vote like this. Majority of sign-ups there were from dead-shits from hooks forum. And I just saw dark's name in green here, what a joke that no thread was ever made where this was discussed like back in the old days

Edit: Oh, community supporter? If he donated to the up-keep here then I'd be okay with that. If it were for any other reason it only shows what a joke this place has become. What message are we sending here? Please low level DOS UT servers and Epic servers and you will be rewarded? We could use a back-up master server for sure, I very sincerely mean master server. The community is fine without 333networks. I believe this is where I'm right behind TheDane and JackGriffin on the way out. I am getting embarrassed to be a part of this community. A while back when they operated legit I could uplink to it and feel like I was one of the clever ones, I can only pray some of you wake up and ask for this so we can go back to those days
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

billybill wrote:If it were for any other reason it only shows what a joke this place has become. What message are we sending here? Please low level DOS UT servers and Epic servers and you will be rewarded? We could use a back-up master server for sure, I very sincerely mean master server. The community is fine without 333networks. I believe this is where I'm right behind TheDane and JackGriffin on the way out. I am getting embarrassed to be a part of this community
Wasn't there at UT.info everything solved between you and the 333NW guys? :noidea
billybill wrote: Oh, community supporter? If he donated to the up-keep here then I'd be okay with that.
Well, then I'm glad you are ok with that.
Syntax-Error
Novice

Post by Syntax-Error »

billybill,

I respect your opinion regarding the idea to move the forums, but...
Darkelarious wrote:
Would it be an idea to make a poll over (t)here, giving the ut.info users a voice in moving the forum or not?
and
If we could find a few people both willing and capable to administrate the forum
doesn't say anything that 333networks would be the one hosting the forums, if Dane would agree with a move in the first place.

But this:
billybill wrote:
We could use a back-up master server for sure, I very sincerely mean master server. The community is fine without 333networks
has nothing to do with this thread at all and is completely irrelevant.

It just looks like another attack on 333networks, while we all recently had a very good discussion on the unrealtournament.info forums.
That included you.

To help you remind what you wrote in your last post on the thread overthere (https://forum.unrealtournament.info/vie ... t=25#p2714):
billybill wrote:
I'd like you to check back here in a month darkalarious (or keep checking back in the meantime, whatever).

Certainly hoping some action will be taken and that it's not all talk. If you want, there's some smart guys here and I understand all this well. So, ask and we'll discuss it. Unfortunate that the over-all feeling on the other forum is that discussion can't be allowed. I definitely agree with GP that I respect that you fronted up here. I suspect there's more people signing up for these forums and it takes forever to get approval though so I won't take that too far. And I do hope all those 1000s attempted logins on my servers aren't anything to do with you or your robots, it's kinda weird that even when I change the ssh port I get the same thing. I'd find it annoying having to use auth keys only, never had to worry about stuff like this before
So...
Instead of trying to start all over again, leave it as it was... constructive...

Syntax-Error
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Syntax, the most popular man at the moment. Thinks he's on the admin team now rofl

Hey, you didn't put master server in italics. Yes we wait and see, so why do you not agree with any of that post? Becoming a master server instead of a port scanner. Ah well, guess I'll start a new thread in a month to post the results. Wish a couple of you hook's forum guys would've figured out by now, I'm not attacking 333networks, it is them who are attacking UT. Proof was posted, admitted to, and your choice of words in the last post was more off-point than me asking about his name color

I don't think TheDane wants that thread to continue in a month HERE in this thread, but we'll see. Waiting on you, TheDane. BTW I get this when I try reply to you "Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt."
Syntax-Error
Novice

Post by Syntax-Error »

billybill wrote:BTW I get this when I try reply to you "Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt."
So, you tried to send me a personal message?
Well... That should be possible.

I just checked my settings, and the options "Allow users to send you private messages" and "Notify me on new private messages" under "Board preferences" , are both set to "yes".

I re-enabled them to see if that helps...

BTW:
The reason I didn't use Italics: It would have altered the original quote, which I wanted to prevent.

You can always send me an email: syntax123@hotmail.com

Syntax-Error
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I wouldn't leave your email like that when this forum gets archived. O.K I now vote you can close this thread, I forgot Syntax started it
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

@paper *Coughs* . The ^UT Authoritarian has dribbled... grab some PTowel's & a Hammer.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Haha... well now everybody calls for a topic lock :loool:

If you guys read at my forums the posts for the last days it was active, then read this thread from beginning to end - then you'll understand why unrealtournament.info dies when we reach August.........

Gopostal and I where able the admin a board so heated discussions could be carried out with a constructive result, we need no further evidence than this thread to prove there are no more admins left in UT who are able to do that. And that leaves unrealtournament.info without a purpose.
Retired.
Syntax-Error
Novice

Post by Syntax-Error »

TheDane wrote:there are no more admins left in UT who are able to do that. And that leaves unrealtournament.info without a purpose.
I'd like to think you are wrong about that.
Needles discussions and mud throwing happen everywhere, but the real gems between them still makes it interesting.

I'm from the Unreal community and I do see a big difference on how people react on forums in the UT community. Dunno why that is, but it is a strange experience to see this, while we try to keep Unreal alive and have fun playing it.

I do think there still are people, who would be capable to be or become an admin, only they haven't stepped forward, because they never thought about it, or need need a little push because they hesitate.

I still think that it would be a big loss when it would be shut down for good in august.

@billybill: Still haven't received anything from you?

Syntax-Error
Last edited by Syntax-Error on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

No offense, but to be an admin on a board like unrealtournament.info you need to have a long history in UT so you know a lot of the background for various persons. Then you need to have a great insight to the Uengine itself as the board runs a great deal of technical debates, you need to master Uscript and php to some extend. You'll also need to have knowledge of how to run softwares such as gameservers, websites, redirects and forums. Combine it with the fact that you also need to have no strains attached to any other part of the community that will color your judgement, who is left?

Compare the staff at Hooks place against the staff of this place? Look arround at the other community sites, isn't it just the same group of people cycling arround? Give me the name of a candidate that fits my discription and I'll considder it with an open mind.
Retired.