www.unrealtournament.info down... Planned or hacked?

Discussions about everything else
Syntax-Error
Novice
Personal rank: Admin & Player

www.unrealtournament.info down... Planned or hacked?

Post by Syntax-Error »

This morning, I noticed that the website and forums of unrealtournament.info are no longer available.
Threads no longer can be found (Error 404), and when opening the website via https://www.unrealtournament.info it points to https://forum.unrealtournament.info.

On that page it only shows the text ¨GAME OVER!¨.

Did anyone hear if this was planned, or was meant as a joke or that they perhaps were hacked?

Syntax-Error
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: www.unrealtournament.info down... Planned or hacked?

Post by UTPe »

I hope it's only a joke :shock: , I always found that forum very interesting...
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Oh boy, here we go again.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

No, it was certainly not hacked.

Over the last couple of weeks Dane has openly stated he has no desire to continue with anything UT related. In fact he posted his entire source code repository for anyone to grab, something he has never done. I knew the end was very near when that happened.

I grabbed then entire thing and added mine as well to it. If you are interested, use this link to grab everything:
https://link.getsync.com/#f=codeshare&s ... GRCYLJJXN3

Sync is a very secure file sharing protocol that uses the bittorrent technology. You are perfectly safe downloading this, there is nothing in it but his and my sources for our public UT work. We both have given unrestricted permissions on anything found in the sync. If you see it and like it, it's yours to do what you want. The entire thing is over 700MB in total size so there's a lot to it and if you dev you might grab it to keep.

I won't be posting again either. UT.info was my home and with it gone I have no desire to post under the thumb of anyone else. It kills me a little bit that I worked so hard to make the place relevant to UEngine discussions and it culminated with a very open and honest exchange over some very contentious material a couple of days ago. I thought it was a watershed moment and bode very well for the new year and open dialogue about the issues facing the future of the game. Things *can* be discussed, it doesn't have to get retarded and that was shown by all involved.

I should have known that it wouldn't last. Dane wanted a reason to close, especially since the popularity was really growing and it put him in a position much like Shade: total control over something that holds little to no real interest to them on a daily basis. Shade seems to tolerate it well but Dane felt quite differently (obviously). I PM'ed a magnet link (not file, not pirated material, a link) to another member and he used that as reason to suspend the entire PM system. We had a strong personal exchange via email and I resigned. I think he was lying to me about his host complaining over the private message and he was using that as the lever to tip the fall. I'd have much rather he been up front and allowed me to just take the place entirely if it was something he was no longer interested in doing. But you all know Dane. Everything is a potential dumpster fire, it's always just a matter of time.

Anyway that's the long and short of it, and it's why I'm done too. I'm going to open a new site and forum in the next month but it will be for head and neck cancer support/information. I'll no longer be doing anything UT related. The Sync folder will remain up as long as anyone is interested but it's not going to be an eternal thing. I'd get while the getting is good. If you do download it, please seed for a couple of days and help share some of the load. If I have to upload nearly a gig over and over and people don't seed some then I won't keep hosting it.

I hope someone steps forward to offer a home to Nelsona and his monsterhunt504 work. It's truly groundbreaking. He a righteous dude so someone give him some space to showcase his effort.

My teamspeak will stay up for a while since I do chat with non-UT people there too: ts44.gameservers.com:9361 Also the MH504 demo server is here: 108.61.112.188:7777 and will also remain up for the time being. I still need to talk with Nels and decide what direction we will take concerning that. I don't mind to carry it for him until he feels like the update is completed to his satisfaction. The down side is there's no redirect (thank you Dane). If anyone needs me they can email/skype/whatever but I won't be doing anything UT related any more. You are very welcome to stop by and chat but I'm not going to teach code or troubleshoot. The next two weeks will be very busy for me gathering resources for my new endeavor and I really need personally to make that shift away from gaming related stuff.

Hope that clarifies everything for you guys. Peace, and happy new year!

-Kelly
So long, and thanks for all the fish
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

There is no drama to it except what Higor and JackGriffin brought here. I left a while ago, and Gopostal aka JackGriffin took over. He decided to leave and I found noone else left in the community where able to continue it in the spirit I originaly intentet with it.

I'm sad JackGriffin feels the need to frame me like in the post above, it's a fine story he tells - though I see it differently, but I feel no need to pick up the debate and bring any drama too it. I simply closed the place - absolutely with no drama - except caused by others by bringing it to these forums. I posted at my forums that the place would be closed soon and the reason why - waited some time to make sure people read it and then pushed the close button.

End off.

Edit: Now this is a topic that is better served with beeing locked as bringing further drama will only cause harm to the ramainding UT community - which I'm not a member of anymore.
Retired.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

The pessimism in this thread is off the charts, Higor out.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

TL:DR

TheDane got hacked, he died, again.

The end
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

We can offer Nelsona a own development forum ...like we did for Shadow.
If you don't mind can I upload your source code to my Mediafire drive.

To all... Please refrain from poop throwing and drama shit.
Lets talk about solutions.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you join the Sync I have to approve the group join. I'm not excluding anyone so if you link to it you'll get the files once I see the request. I can approve it if you are offline so you don't have to stay connected. Just join whenever you get back online. Once you are approved you will not have to be approved again and you will be able to upload/download to anyone else in the swarm.

I have a second Sync folder of much more sensitive coding. It contains all the server side anticheat stuff I have as well as a collection of aimbots I used to test against and all the hacked/exploited/altered u files that were floating around. It's also got code obfuscators and some other odds/ends that I've collected. It's all pre-ACE but still could be used on non-ACE servers. With the slow falling of ACE's usefulness it may be something you want to have access to. It's just my opinion but there's a growing need for a UTPure/NoBullshitPlus/ModMenuChecker hybrid to take a place at the anticheat table. I think it's very clear to you admins that DM play is not clean now even on ACE servers.

Anyway I haven't decided if I'm going to share that or not. If you are interested drop me an email and we can talk about it. This second folder is far too sensitive to just place out for anyone.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

So ...this is a torrent file?
Then I will fire up my µTorrent. But later ...right now is my provider very slow.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

TheDane wrote:There is no drama to it except what Higor and JackGriffin brought here. I left a while ago, and Gopostal aka JackGriffin took over. He decided to leave and I found noone else left in the community where able to continue it in the spirit I originaly intentet with it. [...]
What are you talking about ? You closed forum because there no one of charge? pfff very quick decision....and very poor excuse mentioned above. Shame on you, pyerdool sie
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

@ Radi
papercoffee wrote: To all... Please refrain from poop throwing and drama shit.
Lets talk about solutions.
Please!
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Sorry paper.

@TheDane, closing forums without even mention earlier is a disrespect to users, dont you think ? Thats why I a little angered. . .. Is there a chance to open forums again for one/two days or such ? I have unfinished tasks there and need to gather something. . Please Dane :(
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:well not even a favicon.ico exists now, I'd say it's gone for good. I was going to get angry then realized there wasn't anything of mine not backed up. However, kind of sad that the only developer forum is now gone. Do we all post releases of miniscule projects here one after another now? Anyway I'm not angry I just think we now lose a valuable place

@JackGriffin. You know, there has to be better way than that, and many of us are in the same boat. Feel we're holding onto something, and chained to it. Desperately want to get it out and in the hands of whoever wants it rather than delete it

What about the site where foodfight was hosted, I don't mean moddb I mean the development place where the source code all was?

Can see where sony and Higor are coming from here haha. fake death, forums hacked, repeat

Happy new years all
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

billybill wrote: What about the site where foodfight was hosted, I don't mean moddb I mean the development place where the source code all was?
Wasn't this Jacks own server at home? ...darn I can't remember well.