www.unrealtournament.info down... Planned or hacked?

Discussions about everything else
UT99.org

Re: www.unrealtournament.info down... Planned or hacked?

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Well, here's where I stand. Don't want to put you in a position to offer me anything. I have a forum, I could post there. I'll vouch for Nelsona though. This forum started as an SLV forum, it could make the move to monster hunt
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

For those that missed TheDanes Post on his site (yes there was a warning).
General • Re: Retiring from the forum
I wish this didn't have to end like this, I truly do. Kelly you where the only one left in UT that I would be willing to put in control and carry on this ship. UT is fucked up and this place is the last place where UT is for fun and on neutral ground for all - it ends by this.

However, as you leave and I have zero plans for returning this place will close soon and the UT community will continue doing what it does best: kill itself.

Thanks for all the great times we've shared Kelly! And best of luck for the future! The aid forum sound like a great idea and I'm sure you will be able to help a lot of people who will value your efforts far more than this fucked up community.

God speed!
Statistics: Posted by TheDane — 31 Dec 2014 10:30
As I still use Opera 12, I still have most of the posts going back to 22nd Nov.
If you require something posted there recently I can dig it out (no pics or files). PM only (and only the posts you made, unless I get permission)

This thread will go nowhere fast, as you will not make The Dane change his mind.
If you want to discuss the site you will have to contact TheDane.
He has asked that I close this thread (as I get asked all too often), and I am inclined to agree, but it is not my decision (we don't work that way).
This is now a clear-up operation, and from this point on I suggest anyone interested, offer TheDane the money to cover transfer of the Domain.
Unrealtournament.info will not be what it was if resurrected anyway.
It was filling-out to be an excellent and well organised resource, and it was nice to see the MH mod progressing in a way I could follow easily.

Personally I would suggest people gather in an IRC room and chat about the possible future of the Domain.

WARNING: This thread may close very soon, so think very carefully if, and what you want to add here.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Radi wrote:Sorry paper.

@TheDane, closing forums without even mention earlier is a disrespect to users, dont you think ? Thats why I a little angered. . .. Is there a chance to open forums again for one/two days or such ? I have unfinished tasks there and need to gather something. . Please Dane :(
Let's debate those unfinished tasks in here :wink: somewhere in mapping or whatever thread matching the subject.
Later, if that thread will be suddenly closed then we can move in some evil place where things are going to stay open for years.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I never mentioned TheDane in my last posts in this thread. Is it possible the domain was coming up for renewal and he was looking for a way out? Was Jack meant to take that over? Last I checked godaddy would offer .info domains cheap for the first year and then increase the price five-fold from $1.99 to $11.99 for the second year. For someone who is no longer involved in the community that could be a burden. I can't recall when the domain was established (could probably do a domain whois)

Anyway, doesn't matter from my side. I'm over it. If there was anything there others posted then you'll need to talk to TheDane. Flay may have a back-up if he read that particular thread.

@TheDane/GP I hope you guys can remain friends, I'm sure Jack did not mean anything sinister and that there is a translation gap somewhere or his intentions were interpreted wrongly. Good to see you both back here on these forums as well, it's been too long. Jack good luck with your new forum. Dane I appreciate you hosting it for as long as you did. Hope to see you both drop in on the community now and again
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I've had a private conversation with one of the mods here asking for this to be locked, I understand the reasons not to Lock it - yet, and I've also come to understand that it may server a purpose if I put it back online again as apparently some things needs to be salvages.

So, instead of Flay going through cached version I can put it back online, but it will be in read-only version. I will disable the option to post any further contents as there is no administration on that board anymore. I'm at work now and got a busy Schedule in private, so I'll be needing some time to put it back. I backed it up just before closing, so nothing is lost and nothing is changed.

The domain will expire at some point, then go into redemption period, then after that it can be used again by whoever wants it and gets to it first - I will not sell it as money have never been a part of my UT failures.

This is my offer, take it or leave it.
Retired.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

papercoffee wrote:
billybill wrote: What about the site where foodfight was hosted, I don't mean moddb I mean the development place where the source code all was?
Wasn't this Jacks own server at home? ...darn I can't remember well.
I never hosted it directly. Mostly we hotswapped the source via email but I did run an FTP server for a bit when server testing began. That's probably what you remember. BTW you are a bit mistaken on what Sync is. It uses BT protocol but it's not a normal torrent/swarm thing. It's more of a private torrent that you need a key to access. Once connected Sync will show changes live to the folder as long as you are connected. For instance if you are currently 'synced' with me and I add a few more items to the folder then it will automatically update them to your end too. The real draw for use is it's security. You cannot access the swarm until you both supply the key to join and the swarm leader approves you. Anyway just wanted to clear that up.

The FF mod is included in the source codes I posted but there is a strongly worded readme about ownership of the meshes and textures (attributing them to you and this site). My permissions only apply to the weapon/item coding but as far as I know there are very few examples of weapons with working reload code floating around. These make a really nice example to use if you want that sort of thing. I'm still not sure why anyone would, but that's just me.
Dr.Flay wrote:
As I still use Opera 12, I still have most of the posts going back to 22nd Nov.
If you require something posted there recently I can dig it out (no pics or files). PM only (and only the posts you made, unless I get permission)
You don't need permission, post everything. It was a public forum that anyone could read and access. It kills me that it's gone after I put so much work into it but that's why you *never* put so much time into something that you don't control. I'll never make that mistake again.
Dr.Flay wrote:
This thread will go nowhere fast, as you will not make The Dane change his mind.

He has asked that I close this thread (as I get asked all too often), and I am inclined to agree, but it is not my decision (we don't work that way).

It was filling-out to be an excellent and well organised resource, and it was nice to see the MH mod progressing in a way I could follow easily.

WARNING: This thread may close very soon, so think very carefully if, and what you want to add here.
I'll tell you Flay that this is the reason that UT99 is floundering now. It was said on UT.info before it closed that it's
often a race among the mods to lock a topic
and here it goes again. You are choking people to death and it's driving them away. People talk shit, they poke at each other. It's human nature. Again in this thread (like billy's) no one has attacked anyone else yet the threat of lock is looming over the whole thing. We get it, you have the power to silence the discussion. No need to keep waving that ban hammer. Jesus, a thread has to stay completely milquetoast to not get threatened.
Instead of doing that why don't you foster and guide the discussion towards more positive directions. You read the billybill/master server thread before .info closed. It was a wonderful example of what happens when you allow people to talk, even if they REALLY don't like each other, but you do it with a clear set of expectations and a set course for the thread. Dammit, I was really proud of everyone in that thread and it was the most vocal people on one of the hottest topics.
My point is that people mostly are reactive and respond to whatever nudges are given to them. Carrots work much better than sticks but it requires more work and diligence on your part as mods. This thread is a good example of what I'm talking about. You are threatening censure for no real reason other than someone wants it. Of course Dane is going to ask for that but incumbent in your decision is also allowing the other people involved to express themselves. Dane let people be invested in something then closed it down without offering access or alternative. OFC they are super unhappy about it (no one more than me) but not allowing those feeling to air out doesn't make them go away. It's an important current issue to multiple people and can be talked about as long as the thread is properly curated. If the mods here can't do that then (perhaps) they shouldn't be mods. There's a lot more to the job than grabbing for the hammer every time two people disagree.

That's my two pence, for better or worse. You mentioned that you were open to criticism so let's see.

Addition: I just saw Dane reply as I was also replying. His restoration of it is a very good move and should be appreciated. I'd grab the files from it if you get the chance and there's anything you like. Some good work was posted there that was really overlooked. I'd especially read Nelsona's MH stuff. It was truly inspired and won't ever get the attention it deserves.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Yes JackGriffin, you are quite right that everyone should have their say here, but I'd like to narrow that down to "everyone involved" instead. I understand frustration, how do you think I felt when the admin I putted in charge couldn't manage to aply to the board rules himself? What sign does that send? I told you I needed time to think about how to proceed, but you didn't give me that, you just panniced and resigned and then came here and added to the drama. I was under the impression we could have worked something out, but you alone wrote your own resignition, I didn't have anything to do with that - it was all your decision. And that left unrealtournament.info without an administrator able to continue the site, and I think everyone will agree when I state that running a UT forum without administration is asking for trouble hehe.

Anyway, the reason I asked for this to be Locked is because of these comments that serves no purpose and comes from people that where not involved in unrealtournament.info:
Higor wrote:Oh boy, here we go again.
This is a perfect comment to get the drama going.
$carface wrote:TL:DR

TheDane got hacked, he died, again.

The end
Yup, the drama continues from yet another person who didn't know what happened.
Syntax-Error wrote:Did anyone hear if this was planned, or was meant as a joke or that they perhaps were hacked?
This was how the thread started, a person who only registred there a few days before it closed, not knowing what happened at all. But clearly the "hacked" part was chosen carefully to feed the trolls.

I can understand Radi's comments, he has been with us since the beginning and have contributed with a lot of good contents and posts, and he is also the main reason why I considder putting it back online for a short period.
Retired.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

UnrealTournament.info was my go-to place since day one of my registration there. Seeing it go reminds me of how grateful I should be to Dane and Gopo... not only for giving me (as well as Radi, Rocky, DeathMask and others) their own workplaces but also for letting me contribute to the balloon mod (beta-testing and mapping, sorry for not finishing it :( ), and finally making me moderator there.

Dane before you go, could you put back the sources in Sync for a few more days for me please? I didn't had a chance to save a backup. :nonono:
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

UnrealGecko wrote:Dane before you go, could you put back the sources in Sync for a few more days for me please? I didn't had a chance to save a backup. :nonono:
You got PM :-)

Thanks to Google I found a way to bring the forum back automaticly instead of manualy as I used to.

Read-only version of : https://forum.unrealtournament.info can be found here. Grab what you need while it's online. It's restored 100% without any changes but the forums beeing locked and registration disabled.
Retired.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

TBH Dane, you should probably leave the site up ... as it appears to be quite a good resource with many active members.

No big deal in terms of moderating as you have founding members there that Iam sure would be more then capable of holding the Hammer...

Just seems such a waste of a good resource to just let die imo. YES Iam aware of the dramas etx , but hey!! Thats UT99 for ya ;)

C'mon dude , lighten up a bit and let it die a natural death like all the other forums since been and gone.

Edit: perhaps for time being you should just have 'Registrations' authed by Admin only.

So that your 'current users' can continue to commune and develop.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Wises wrote:TBH Dane, you should probably leave the site up ... as it appears to be quite a good resource with many active members.

No big deal in terms of moderating as you have founding members there that Iam sure would be more then capable of holding the Hammer...

Just seems such a waste of a good resource to just let die imo. YES Iam aware of the dramas etx , but hey!! Thats UT99 for ya ;)

C'mon dude , lighten up a bit and let it die a natural death like all the other forums since been and gone.

Edit: perhaps for time being you should just have 'Registrations' authed by Admin only.

So that your 'current users' can continue to commune and develop.
There is a difference between holding the hammer and then using the hammer in "my" spirit with a ruleset different from most other forums. If I get contacted by someone serious about continueing it in the spirit I intended with it, then I will revise my decision, but for now it stands. Don't post here about it, I'll only discuss such matter privatly. I've checked that the domain will expire August 10th 2015, so everybody should have plenty of time to save what needs to be saved. I have no problem keeping it online in its current state untill then.
Retired.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You wanted a reason to close the place and you went into my private messages to find it. Then you lied about how it was done. Go ahead and post our email exchange in it's entirety and let's hear other people's opinions on what "occurred".

You are unstable and it kills my soul that I stood up for you so many times. That'll never happen again. You deserve the anger coming your way.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Syntax-Error
Novice
Personal rank: Admin & Player

Post by Syntax-Error »

TheDane wrote:
This was how the thread started, a person who only registred there a few days before it closed, not knowing what happened at all. But clearly the "hacked" part was chosen carefully to feed the trolls.
Really Dane?

It is true I registered a few days ago on UT, but the forum was visited quite often by me.

The "hacked" part was certainly NOT chosen to feed the trolls, but since I wasn't aware of your announcement of the closure, I was quite surprised to see that the website and forums were "down".
It was not a nice surprise though.

Too bad you see it this way, as it was not intended as such.
It's not the first time that websites and forums got hacked and weird messages are posted to show they were able to take over the website.
So "GAME OVER!" could have been such a message, instead of your way saying "Goodbye".

If I thought that the site was hacked, I would have only asked that.
That's why I summed 3 options, because I didn't know which one would be right. Certainly not to feed trolls...

Thanks for hosting such a great resource, as a lot of interesting discussions and technical details were discussed there.
A lot of people would like to keep it alive if possible, but I respect your choice to shut it down.

Would it perhaps be an option to offer a copy of the forum (including database), so that it could be setup on another location?
Since it is such a good resource, it would be a shame to see it go, even if the domain expires.
Personally, I wouldn't mind to configure one of my servers to host it.

Syntax-Error
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I say, the reason why UT.info closed is NOW irrelevant ...it's all in vain. :(
It's sad that it happened.

@ Dane
I appreciate it that you want to keep your forum open till August.
Do we have the permission to copy Dark's explanation of the 333NW over here to UT99.org? Just for future reference.