Unreal Engine 4 is now FREE

Discussions about everything else
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: Unreal Engine 4 is now FREE

Post by memsys »

Carbon wrote:Frankly I never understand the complaints against brand new tech needing higher system requirements. This is cutting edge; UE4 is the absolute latest and I think the requisites are reasonable. There is no hardware in those recommended specs that is newer than 5 years old. Sandy Bridge (overclocked, still a fine CPU), DX11 graphics ( most every card since 2010/11), RAM is very cheap these days (8GB for around $60), Win7x64...all pretty old stuff really.

Painful specs would be an i7, Win 8.1, 16GB DDR4 RAM (yes, I know...just saying) and 3GB VRAM. Now that would be steep.
I completely agree, UE4 is one of the biggest and most advanced engines on the market but the recommended requirements are pretty damn reasonable.
Chamberly wrote:UE4 been free imo. But if it's not gonna do anything for unreal/ut99, then it's kinda useless lol.
That is like saying that making diesel free is useless because your car needs gasoline. Epic is allowing you to use one of the most advanced game engines for free how is that useless?
Epic is also working on UT4 with the community, UE4 used to have a $19 a month subscription and you needed that to work on UT4 but now UE4 is free that would mean everyone can work on UT4 for free. Why does this matter? Because how we can make stuff like monterhunt and jailbreak for UT4 and there is even a chance that those gametypes are going to be included as a standard gametype in the 1.0 release!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Can't compare diesel to software. Rofl sounds kinda nonsense.

Not a fan of needing to upgrade for something to run if everything else seem to go ok for me... oh well.
I never said I was forced to upgrade anything. :P

So far it can run on my laptop, but it take a lot of RAM vs how often it use my CPU which is 2.something Intel dual core. 4 GB RAM in a 64 bit OS isn't enough for the UE4 editor + UE Launcher.
Last edited by Chamberly on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Chamberly wrote:Can't compare diesel to software. Rofl sounds kinda nonsense.
Then please enlighten me as to why this is an objectively bad compassion.
Chamberly wrote:Not a fan of needing to upgrade for something to run if everything else seem to go ok for me... oh well.
So? no one is forcing you to use UE4 but that does not mean UE4 is "useless" because you need to upgrade to be able meet the required specs.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

From reading the official thread, it may be free now but people are having a Hell of a time getting it to work. Some kinda authorization glitch.
papercoffee wrote:@ Grins and Torax
Where did I double post?
I can't speak to this most recent time, but you definitely did back then:
Spoiler
You quickly fixed it, but the aftermath was hilarious!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

What I was trying to point is:
- I work to sustain all bills and family - for me is not cheap any $60 or such for any second hand equipment - I have already systems on 32 bits which runs fine UT99 and I don't want headaches - feel free to experiment your skill in making games and let us know what you might have new;
- I'm interested to stabilize UT99 as much as possible - U.E.4 is not so useful for this mission only probably for XC_Engine well tweaking...;
- I simply consider an upgrade to come when I want not when others are pushing me (like M$ pushing to Win8) because I deny everything which is not letting me to breath relaxed;
- I won't blow up stuff worked for UT99 because WOOW U.E.4 is free... this won't happen to soon.

Just my thoughts.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Mid year or later (october, november) I may get the game and a machine upgrade and try to develop Siege on UT4.
Or I may wait until UT4 goes final 100%, you never know how little patches can horribly f**k up your mods at early stages...

(Don't get me wrong, my main goal is still to get ahold of the UT99 source and start patching it myself).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Higor wrote: (Don't get me wrong, my main goal is still to get ahold of the UT99 source and start patching it myself).
Should we address a petition? :D
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

If Epic WILL release source code.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Is there really any specific reason for not officially giving away UT99 at this point? Steam sales? That must be a rapidly decreasing revenue stream. Since EPIC is riding the good vibes wave at the moment, that would really do their popularity a lot of good. Give it some fanfare - an official page on the website with a sanctioned torrent or something - it'd be a shot in the arm for this old girl, and build momentum for the UT4 release.

I'm glad for everyone who will benefit from the engine release and development tools. It's a shame it couldn't have come a bit sooner - wasn't Ferali going to be doing his development work in Unity? He might have chosen this route instead if the option had been available to him. Having said that, I have little prospect of updating my 8 year old hardware any time soon, so any UE4 based releases, and the development kit itself, won't be getting any processor time on my rig. UT99 will remain my focus, and I sincerely hope people will continue to invest time in it - as players and developers - for a long while yet.

In fact that's my main concern with all of this. It would be a crying shame for any of our small pool of community developers to down tools for UT99 and jump ship to UT4 or-what-have-you just because it's new a shiny. There's still much to be done with and for UT99! :D
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

New and shiny? Is that all you think the new UT has to offer the community?

UT4 will give the entire UT series new life. It will keep it from moving into obscurity by keeping the franchise modern and relevant. A great new game will invite new players to explore the history of the series and maybe get them active in the community, new and old. The development of UT4 has already given birth to an Unreal remake, introducing new players to the classic beginning. There is no reason to believe that the new UT can't be as good as the original.

It isn't an either/or thing anyways. All of the clinging to the past is needless; UT isn't going anywhere and nor is the love that people have for it. Anyone who does some work on the new game isn't going to suddenly forget UT altogether.

I hope the old guard get into the UT4 development. They are the exact people we need speaking up, developing content, etc in order to ensure that the new game is as good as any UT can be and endure for 15 years.

Anyhow, we can't wear nostalgia blinders here folks; UT was a great game - the best in the series IMO - but the new game needs attention right now so the legacy can continue for a new generation of players.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

just one question: is UE4 totally free for non-commercial purposes ?
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

UTPe wrote:just one question: is UE4 totally free for non-commercial purposes ?
Yes.
UE4 and it's source code.
You will only need to pay out 5% of earnings if your game project will have success and reach first 3000$. That's the conditions as far as i know.
Carbon wrote:New and shiny? Is that all you think the new UT has to offer the community?

UT4 will give the entire UT series new life. It will keep it from moving into obscurity by keeping the franchise modern and relevant. A great new game will invite new players to explore the history of the series and maybe get them active in the community, new and old. The development of UT4 has already given birth to an Unreal remake, introducing new players to the classic beginning. There is no reason to believe that the new UT can't be as good as the original.

It isn't an either/or thing anyways. All of the clinging to the past is needless; UT isn't going anywhere and nor is the love that people have for it. Anyone who does some work on the new game isn't going to suddenly forget UT altogether.

I hope the old guard get into the UT4 development. They are the exact people we need speaking up, developing content, etc in order to ensure that the new game is as good as any UT can be and endure for 15 years.

Anyhow, we can't wear nostalgia blinders here folks; UT was a great game - the best in the series IMO - but the new game needs attention right now so the legacy can continue for a new generation of players.
I'm fully agree.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

hmm

@Mr Sweeny..

backwards compatibility is important
and.. it will work in everyones favour..

few points to ponder;

BwC <<

Older duel core machines with 2GB of DDR2 ram and DX9 / OpenGl compatible system

should be able to play the game at least

this will draw in a larger market. *and Sell all the older stock* GC's, RaM, Mobo's etc..

Iam not saying awesome Graphix , although possible for even these machines

but.. at least playable.. FFS.

it will be WIN WIN WIN..

because we get to play ..

and if we like , then we upgrade machine to see our asses reflections in M$. (whole bunch of companies win here*)

also on the note of BwC.. ability..

no .. no t in that btw

Settings.... Very important..
so important that .. the engine itself needs to KNOW.. what the clients have Hardware wise and Automatically adjust for these to the best of OUR.. hardware ability ..

so the engine performs .. awesome on all computers not just the LATEST and GREATEST? Rubbish.

because quite frankly ATM.. only the 'Upper Class' get to test it in all its glory .. while us actual dedicated MOFO's just get to watch it on Youtube...
and Twitch every now and then.

I guess what iam saying.. is.. Just because there's a TeraByte HDD available, is there really a need to Create an OS which Fill's it to capacity?

or.. Do Games really Need to consume all of it?

Last edited by Wises on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
_naruto_999
Average

Post by _naruto_999 »

Port UT to UE4 and it'll run at 1000fps. Use DX12 and it'll consume less power.

Make UT4 have Infiltrator techdemo graphics with realtime GI and it'll require a Geforce Titan to run.

Funny thing is that on old engines forum, ppl constantly request better tech. On newer games forum, ppl constantly complain about bad performance and high requirements.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Have you seen the latest screenshots from the new build? It looks absolutely amazing and that just would not be possible on old hardware. Show me a modern game that has that level of visual fidelity that can run with 2GB of RAM and a dual core system.

If you want a possible insight into Epic's thinking, try this:

1. People who are running 6 ~ 8 year old hardware probably aren't in the position to start spending money in the Epic marketplace. UE4 is free, UT4 is free. How will Epic - a company with shareholders that needs to be profitable, just like every other company out there - make any money in this? The marketplace. People who can't afford the hardware to run the game will not be buying in the marketplace. Making the engine backwards-compatible with 8 year old hardware will do nothing to generate income for Epic because those people who cannot afford to upgrade their PC are probably again, in no position to start spending money in the marketplace. Lower the specs as a goodwill gesture? Like the engine and game aren't enough? That is just ungrateful and somewhat childish because...

2. Epic need to license this engine, just as they have done with each and every iteration of UE. This is a large part of their business model and always has been (and we were all fine with that in the past; why the sudden change of mind?). Thus, they need to showcase this engine to make it attractive to potential customers. UE4 and UT4 need to look GREAT and they do, but again, that would not be possible if they were to lower the system specs and again, the only intelligent and rational choice is to do what they are doing. New, powerful software needs powerful hardware. This has never been false. Ever. Why should it be now?

We should blame Epic for what exactly? Being a for-profit company? Not doing more than giving the new engine and game away for free? Do we think that Epic owe us -the community - anything? They don't. Epic have been very generous to the community since the beginning with patches, tools and loads of bonus packs, etc. Epic owe us nothing, yet they continue to give us everything. The game, the engine....FREE. What other company is doing this? None. There is nothing bad about what Epic are doing. Quite the opposite in fact.

Seriously, what other company is giving away their flagship products?! UE4 represents years of work by many, many people and they are giving it to us! That your system can't run it does not negate this fact at all, nor does it make it in any way a negative gesture or make UE4 in any way bad or thoughtless.

Sorry, but all of this complaining about the system requirements is just silly and blaming Epic is totally irrational. I understand that people are in different financial situations but that is simply not Epic's fault or problem and any level-headed person would not expect them to take that into account.

I guess many will be upset by this post, and I am sorry as that wasn't my intention. However, if we are completely honest we can see that Epic have done nothing wrong at all.