Unreal Engine 4 is now FREE

Discussions about everything else
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Unreal Engine 4 is now FREE

Post by papercoffee »

Carbon wrote:if we are completely honest we can see that Epic have done nothing wrong at all.
...only some minor coding errors in UT1 which can turn modding for for this game into hell. :mrgreen:
If they would give us (the community) the source for UT1 would geniuses eliminate those errors.

Everything else is like Carbon said. With one little addition ...UT was always very backward compatible. On my old Pentium3 with XP-sp2 did UT3 run in 640x480 resolution without any cool effects... but it did run.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Yes, UE1 source would be great. However, the reasons for Epic not doing this have been rationally stated and the door has not been closed completely. To be honest, I thought that Tim's last comments about this were hopeful....guarded, but hopeful.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

not complaining at all. just saying saying that.. perhaps the engine (ue4) could self disable all the newer non compatible features in order to allow these older rigs the abilitity to play the game a bit more smoothly..

why?.. because then people like myself will actually want to upgrade our machines. (I do already and until now never needed to).

I use a DX 11 compat M(shit)HD3000 dual core i5 laptop with 4gb DDR2 Ram and can play UT4 on lowest settings .. very jittery.. ;/

already I thinking upgrade the RAM but doubt that will be enough.

in fact as you stated earlier re cheap systems I will build a new Rig this year. for about $1000.

anyway my thoughts in respect to the new engine was to spread its use to a wider community instead of for just a minority.

so many clever/creative individuals are not able to expand into this sector ATM which is a shame.

we'll get there :)
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Wises wrote:not complaining at all. just saying saying that.. perhaps the engine (ue4) could self disable all the newer non compatible features in order to allow these older rigs the abilitity to play the game a bit more smoothly..
Epic has traditionnally provided very detailed in-game settings for that. I don't see why some features should be hardcoded to stop functionning when on certain rigs. As always, it's the pat of more option instead of less, it gives the same result and makes everyone happy.
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Hmm... as I have seen so far this is for OFF-topic section. Forum is called UT99 and this subject is not UT99 related, it can be moved :lol:
_naruto_999
Average

Post by _naruto_999 »

Wises wrote:not complaining at all. just saying saying that.. perhaps the engine (ue4) could self disable all the newer non compatible features in order to allow these older rigs the abilitity to play the game a bit more smoothly..
That's the same as doing two renders, where one is not backwards compatible with the other. And duplicating the whole game content, so everything has one high resolution version and one low resolution version meant for the older render.

But if one render is not backwards compatible with the other, then the game is going to have two servers, one incompatible with the other. I think that this happened with Crysis, where the server has to choose between supporting DX9 or DX11, there can't be players from both in the same server.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:Hmm... as I have seen so far this is for OFF-topic section. Forum is called UT99 and this subject is not UT99 related, it can be moved :lol:
Well ...you are right.

Moved!
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

ok so DX9 is out and dx11 is ok as..., well ...these cards are supported..

perhaps just add a LOWER setting lol as the current LOW setting is just out if reach ..

I think an i5 4GB DX11 Dualcore could have a better chance at this?
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Not sure if this is a 'settings' situation. It seems that the issue is deeper than just a slider menu.

Dual-core i5? DX11 i5? 4GB i5? Hmm.... :wink:
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

sorry lol i3 FFs.. must be getting old.

i5 would probably work ok thn lmao
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Wises wrote:sorry lol i3 FFs.. must be getting old.

i5 would probably work ok thn lmao
We are all mate! :tongue:

Sure, i5 is a powerful thing. That would do well.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Unreal Engine 4 free ? wow, this is really a great news for everyone !
I hope many people will use it to develop their own projects, including those about UT4 :tu:

my best pc at home is a modded ESPRIMO E7935 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, 8GB RAM, GeForce 9500GS 512MB DX10) unfortunately is not enough, maybe I could upgrade my video card later with a better one supporting DX11 (GeForce GT730 ?) but I surely won't change the entire machine in order to use UE4 :|
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

just got it - 4-year old i7 with 6g ram and a gt230, bumped down the gfx a few notches - ran great...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The whole thing is just so mind blowing and overwhelming, and try and learn each section and making these new style textures. I got it and installed it and ran the editor once.

One of the main things for UDK or a new editor, that gets me, is how you can now just shove an add brush in open space. I think that was the way Quake1 was. So you have to re-think everything, including using volumes. And that new "blueprint" ?
They have some stick figure on a sheet of paper to help you program or something. I never tried any of it yet so I am not sure what they mean.
Binary Space Partitioning
totallyunreal
Novice

Post by totallyunreal »

Whaaa? Amazing news, gonna check this out ASAP! Thanks :)